Best Practice for Reliable Triggers

I am just starting my 9th week of HE.

I have migrated hundreds of devices across and built Rules for all sorts of things but mainly managing the 7 heating zones I currently have until expand it.

I am having issues with Triggers.

With my previous Home Automation Hub I would

IF Device SWITCH Changes THEN:-

If Device Switches On Then

Turn on other things etc.

ELSE If Device Switches Off Then

Turn stuff off etc

That is what I have implemented with HE.

I have created a virtual Switch and exposed it to Alexa.

And setup Alexa when some says Turn on the Television then turn on the Virtual Switch.

HE is spotting this virtual Switch change immediately, however, The Rule Machine does not Trigger.

Oddly, if you go through a few cycles of Alexa Turn on TV Alexa Turn Off TV then eventually the Rule Machine detects the Virtual Switch and performs the action.

I have noticed this inconsistent behaviour many times and through logging have determined it is a Rule Machine issue ignoring Trigger Events.

Is there a way to make this more reliable?

Do you have your instructions for Alexa set up in Routines. I find that things work better if set up in routines.

No but the Virtual Device is being updated by Alexa immediately, and HE is recording in the Logs that it 'sees' the Virtual Device is turned on immediately.

So Alexa is working

The Alexa Bridge to HE is working

HE is seeing the changed in the HE Virtual Device

The Rule Manager ignores the change most times sometimes it does see the HE Device Change.

I can try Setting a Routine in Alexa but if the rule Manager is ignoring HE devices .......

You should turn on all logging in Rule Machine, and post the screenshot of logs when this is happening. Maybe we can spot something, or tag Bruce to have a closer look.

Also, post a screenshot of your rules. It sounds to me like there is something wrong with the way the rule is written.

Will do, thanks

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.