Best Path to Move Forward?

That is so awesome. Do you have to have a Smart Things Hub to have this kind of interaction with Alexa?

Yeah, also curious how you would suggest I do this with Alexa (have her count-down).

There are integrations for HE as well. Some people use HubConnect to offload some commands to ST. I have my main hub and use a secondary HE just for my Zibee bulbs. This is so they don't get confused by trying to repeat traffic from other devices.

However, it is entirely possible to run one of the Alexa text to speech apps on a single HE.

1 Like

No, but I migrated from smartthings, so I put things on it that are cloud based. Echo speaks works better on Smartthings because of the tokens. That's why I have it there. Really, the integration for my cleaning lady is run on a routine with an exposed switch to HE. Echo speaks doesn't have a lot to do with that automation. She'll speak her peace in the routine for that one. Where echo speaks comes in handy is to announce the doorbells or garage locks.

Wow April, your mention of the routine for your domestic helper really got me thinking and I ended up playing with the Alex routines last night beyond the simple commands to turn on/off groups of lights like we've been doing so far. :thinking: :thinking:

I ended up stumbling across IFTT last night and learned that both my Arlo outdoor cameras and Wyze indoor camera can be supported through the IFTT service which then can be part of the Alexa routine chain. I was able to create the IFTT's to turn all cameras on/off and even send text notifications with activity. I then created a new routine telling Alexa to Arm or Disarm to turn cameras on/off and certain groups of lights on/off, etc. all in one command as I was originally hoping to do. The only bad part is that it is still cloud based and I'm hoping to get away from that.

I also watched some getting started videos on the HE setup last night and realized after trying to migrate just a couple of my smart devices that was able to already to confirm are not supported to work with HE.

Here is the list of my current smart devices:

(2) Lumiman color smart bulbs (confirmed not supported)

(2) Emerson Sensi Thermostats (confirmed not supported)

(4) Arlo Pro 2 Cameras and Hub

(1) Wyze Cam Pan Camera

(1) Cotify WiFi Smart Light bulb Socket - outdoor porch edison bulb (not supported?)

(12) Sengled Element Classic A19 Bulbs

(10) Sengled Element Classic BR30 Bulbs

(12) Gosund Mini WiFi Outlets (not supported?)

(1) TreatLife Smart Light Wall Switch

(1) Chamberlin B750

(1) GE Z-Wave Outdoor Control Module Outlet

(2) Woods WION Outdoor WiFi Dual Outlets

(1) Harmony Ultimate Hub

(1) Wink Hub

(4) Echo Dots

(1) Hubitat Elevation Hub

Looking back now, I really messed up by purchasing devices based on just wanting them to be compatible with Alexa for voice commands. There is automation for the lights, plugs, and thermostats but I have (4) mobile apps that I must use to program and manage these automation commands. I feel like I'm at a crossroads of starting over with some of the devices and purchasing new ones to eliminate the stress and workaround of trying to get them to work (if even possible) with the HE environment.

Which leads me to my original post on going forward. After reading some great responses from everyone here I think I'm leaning towards this ideal smart home environment.

1. Devices that can be controlled by voice command and automation via rules/switches/motion sensors

2. Smart buttons to tap to initiate routines or scenes instead of voice commands if needed for non-technical or overwhelmed guests

3. Once central app/interface to manage all devices and automation commands

4. Cloud independence

Sorry to be so lengthy but I'm hoping to figure out the right way to accomplish all this and possibly learn from others on “what they would’ve done different” when implementing their smart home with automation. I’d rather make the investment in time and money now to eliminate having to make major changes again down the road. I really appreciate the feedback from everyone so far as well and I’ve learned so much already.

Thanks!

1 Like

I'm afraid this is the arc that all the non-Hub vendors are pushing. It's not like you could have gotten the wisdom to find a more beneficial path from them. The bulk of "Smart Home Products" are going to flatten at 3-10 devices I imagine. That's about the point when cloud issues begin to take their toll on satisfaction. Between multiple phone apps and cloud issues, it isn't long before users wonder why "no-hub-required" was such a good idea, and start researching Hubs.

I was 'lucky' in starting in Home Automation before Hubs were being marketed against. Hubs were, in those days, the only right way. What's Amazon going to say when they get more Zigbee controllers in their Echo products? "Nobody else's hub required" ?? :slight_smile: Hubitat perhaps should market this way too... :slight_smile: "No Hub required, Elevation Included" :slight_smile: Implying they are better than a mere hub. :smiley:

1 Like

We all have a drawer/box/cabinet/shed of shame. I think you should keep the integrations that you have and move forward with new stuff. Slowly replace things as you learn. Now is the time to ask all of the questions. Research what other people are doing. If those devices are compatible with alexa, then they're good for automations starting with hubitat. you can create switches and expose them to Alexa for use to trigger the things that aren't HE compatible. It's not optimal, but you can then take the time to really figure out your automations. Before purchasing something new, ask about it. Do a search for it here. You'll get going in the right direction that way. But don't just toss all of your stuff in the bin and start over. Part of home automation is to test your creativity. Don't see this as a disappointment or a mistake. Figure out how you can move forward and "phase out" your old stuff.
I'll do a walk through of my house and post it later this evening when everything is interacting. My automations are nothing compared to some here, but maybe you can get some ideas and inspiration.

Oh ... my gosh. Very well said. Well said. You should do marketing for HE "NO hub required, Elevation included".
:microphone:
mic drop

1 Like

lol, no shame here but all the responses have me thinking bigger going forward.

If I understand correctly, this means I would need to keep my Wink hub in place for now as well, since that allows my devices to work with Alexa?

Thanks!

In theory, yes. But wink is sketchy. Alexa would act as the go-between. Try it.

Hey! That's one of my drivers! Let me know if you have any questions about it.

1 Like