Best option for Weather data now that WU API no longer free

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/api/

I was all set up with the driver installed and then I went for an API. Darn!!

I use the "ApiXU Weather Driver" from @bangali
You should find all the info you need on it here
It works great for me, even in AUS. :+1:

1 Like

I didn't understand the APiXU Driver at first, I don't know why it's easy.
The API key they give you was what confused me.
It's a really good driver and works great with Sharptools.io

I went with these guys for my Arduino sketches after Wunderground was bought by Weather Channel that was bought by IBM:
https://openweathermap.org/api

The API is free still if you contribute your weather data from your stations.

True, if you’ve had an API key for a while. Currently, they are not issuing new keys.

1 Like

Which driver? What are you trying to accomplish?

Weewx is a local option you can publish if you want to. No one can take that away from you.

Not true -- if are contributing station data support will issue a api key

1 Like

That is good to know. I stand corrected. Thank you.

"Weather Underground as part of The Weather Company, an IBM business,"

Ah, IBM squeezing maximum profit out of a business that they purchased, slowly driving away all the users that made it a great business until it dies. That's the IBM way.

I just signed up for APIXU and got a key from them, no problem. I cannot say if they previously stopped giving out keys, but they are doing it now.

It was Weather Underground that has stopped giving out keys, unless you have a weather station on their network. I have a APIXU key, but found their data not accurate for my area. I assume because they were pulling data from an airport 10 miles from me. Temperatures vary as much as 5 degrees. WU has a station 3 miles from me and seems more alike to my actual temps and conditions. I am at the start of a valley and can have 5 inches of snow at 30 degrees when the airport has nothing and reports 35.

So far the strip seems to be doing the trick. It also has a water sensor and I am hoping to pull values of water presence and temp to do something to warn me my back porch and windshields have ice on them.