Best motion sensors - Reliability & Range most important

It looks like the 10 Iris sensors sold on ebay do not come with the mounts - any suggestion on how they could be easily wall mounted?

3M Command strips would be my choice. If you haven't seen one of these sensors new in box, there wasn't really a "mount"--it was just tape (I know two pieces were cut to match the indented top corners of the device to facilitate mounting in a corner, and I think there might have been something else for flat mounting but can't remember). Nothing special, and nothing as flexible as the adjustable magnetic mounts you see on newer (albeit generally larger) sensors.

If you want an adjustable mounting option, I've seen some people 3D-print (small) ball-and-socket mounts (or have them printed from Thingiverse or their marketplace of choice). Personally, all of mine are either Command-strip-mounted directly to the wall or set on top of a ledge/trim piece of some sort, but I have a few of these I've been meaning to experiment with.

2 Likes

I've bought 10 from him twice now. Only had one bad one.

Do you guys find these iris V2 sensors to be fast ? The smartthings V2 is slow I find (the USB one V1 is super fast on my network)

Yes, the Iris v2 Motion sensors are extremely quick in my experience with them. I use Iris v2 3210-L outlets as my repeaters. I also use Iris v2 leak sensors and v2 contact sensors.

1 Like

looking for an update, which motion sensors are reliable. I purchased some Hue motions sensor, hit or miss for me. Tried to add directly to HE, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Tried adding them to Philips Hue app, works everytime. Tried using CoCoHue intergration, added them, back to hit and miss. Just using the simple lighting rule.

NYCE sensors.. pricey but fast and reliable. Not sure what kind of range you need.

https://www.nycesensors.com/

Also would also suggest you consider battery life as well. The claim is 5 years for these devices but I haven't owned them long enough to say.

The very best motion sensors I've use have been the Iris V2s especially if you wired them instead of using batteries. Sadly they are hard to come by nowadays.

6e4b979ee7dc194f4ce43e823086e64d0d4a138d_2_374x500

These look interesting... Do you typically mount these on the ceiling? Does the 90 degree detection field necessitate multiples in large-ish rooms?

I've used the ceiling mounted models in closets and the corner ones in fairly large rooms. Have not really had an issue (yet) but if I did I would likely just add another unit.

edit: The motion sensors don't seem to be showing as in stock at Amazon at the moment. Not sure why..

https://www.amazon.com/NYCE-NCZ-3041-HA-ZigBee-Motion-Sensor/dp/B00W4C8JAK

https://www.amazon.com/NYCE-NCZ-3043-HA-ZigBee-Ceiling-Motion/dp/B00X871DB2

1 Like

Yeah, I saw that. I've got pretty good coverage with my existing motion sensors, but I would have been more interested in the ceiling mount sensors if the detection cone were wider. Pretty sure SAF would suffer if I mounted a bunch of those to the ceilings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The NYCE motion sensors have been out of stock more often than not for the last 6 months. I suspect they're having supply chain challenges.

1 Like

There shouldn't be any "hit or miss" here if it's working on Hue, but as I note in the CoCoHue app (maybe I should make this bigger...), motion events won't be registered until the next Bridge poll, like all Hue events that happen outside Hubitat. This is a limitation of the current Hue API, and among other things, it means you cannot rely on this for time-sensitive automations.

Related to this, motion activity may be missed entirely if it starts and stops within the polling interval (and Hue's configured timeout for these sensors, which I've.been told is 20 seconds). The CoCoHue polling interval is configurable in the app, but I wouldn't put it any higher than you need it. And in your case, I might recommend seeing if you can get the sensor on Hubitat natively to work reliably instead.

1 Like

Anyone use this device Iris 120-Degree Passive Infrared Security Motion Sensor #0388557 Model #MOT901 ? I see a driver in HE for it. Is it reliable ? Or is Zooz Z-Wave Plus S2 Motion Sensor ZSE18 better ?

Please do not buy the #MOT901. That is an extremely old, Lowes Iris 1st Gen Proprietary Zigbee device. Yes, Hubitat has support for it, but it will not work with any other Zigbee controllers, and it really isn't worth the trouble. The Iris v1 devices have always been a little flaky, IMHO.

2 Likes

They work, and are cheap, but probably not the best option.

Agree. When they work, they are terrific. But if and when they have issues, you will probably want to throw them away and start over.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information.

1 Like

I've been thinking about adding a motion/lux sensor for my front hall to turn on that light if someone comes in and light is less than some lux value. From everything I've read Zigbee sensors are recommended over Z-Wave. However, I do not have any Zigbee devices. Everything I have is Z-Wave. Right now my C7 hub is in a room right off that front hall, so it wouldn't be far away at all. I've been toying with the idea of moving my hub, but even then it would be in a room just a bit further away - maybe 20-30 feet tops. (I live in a one floor 2,500 sq. ft. condo).

I don't think those Iris sensors everybody seemed to love are really around anymore, so I was thinking of the Aeotec 7 Multisensor (besides reading some good things about them, I'm thinking a 7 series sensor might connected better/easier as I have zero other Zigbee sensors to make a mesh), but it is rather pricey. The only source seems to be at the below link, and with a reasonable $5.00 S&H it would be $75. Yikes!

I've also heard that the Aqara sensor is very good on motion, but can be so-so or even flakey on lux. The sensor itself is vastly cheaper at about $20. I know they say I'd need a hub, but I saw at the Amazon listing for it that some say it works great without the hub and others say it stopped working with Hubitat after a while without the hub. If I buy a hub to go with that I'd get their new E1 hub that is "only" $30, so that total would be about $50. So even with the hub it is still significantly cheaper than the Aeotec and I would have the hub, so it would then only be about $20 per pop if I decided to add more of their motion sensors or the price of their other devices.

Aqara sensor:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1CRRVF/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pf_rd_p=0c758152-61cd-452f-97a6-17f070f654b8&pd_rd_wg=pbPIf&pf_rd_r=90R1XWTD3SJZANGAKQR5&pd_rd_w=7twPs&pd_rd_r=ff7d6171-0f65-43c6-b611-c9255daf74af&s=hi&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFIWUtRQU5JN042RFEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA1MTcyOTQyTUhWSjUzQUpHQ0I0JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4NDczMzVBOFFTVjZGT0RDTE8md2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

E1 hub:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BJCNCKM/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=2247a11789ddc94b7676bbcac5dab268&hsa_cr_id=9776225270801&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=a384c99a-ae00-43b9-9df3-f95de08d3ba2&pd_rd_w=5k6fa&pd_rd_wg=dgimO&ref=sbx_be_s_sparkle_lsi4d_asin_2_img

Opinions, please.

I have 4 of the HS-FLS100-G2 sensors. They were not only the best and most reliable PIR sensors I found, but are 110VDC and send results back to the hub. All other PIR sensors only controlled attached lights.
Unfortunately, my Z-wave hub was Vera. They went out of business and left my HS-FLS100-G2 sensors stranded where I can no longer change their connected status.
Can anyone help me reset them to 'Factory Reset' status?

Excluding can be done from Hubitat or any Z-Wave capable hub for that matter.

1 Like

All you should ned to do is factory reset the device, or do a general exclusion with any controller (not necessarily the old Vera--though I don't think they went out of business, just replaced their hubs with "new" Ezlo models). According to the manual, exclusion (and inclusion) mode can be activated with 3 quick presses of the link button. To activate a general exclusion on Hubitat, go to Devices > Add a Device > Z-Wave > Start Z-Wave Exclusion shortly before or after you do this on the device.

Alternatively, factory reset can be done with 3 quick presses followed by a press-and-hold for about 5 seconds or until the LED turns off. Either will get it ready to pair to a new network; a Z-Wave device will not try if it thinks it is already joined to one.

2 Likes