Best Hardwired Smart Smoke/CO Detector

Hello,

I am looking for a good hardwired smoke/co detector that is not Nest. I like Nest but I was hoping for a cheaper alternative considering I need 12 of these babies :slight_smile:

Any ideas would be awesome :slight_smile:

Thanks Again
Matt

2 Likes

I have one NEST hardwired smoke detector and with the changes to works with nest I'm not buying any more. I am also interested in the communities input.

What changes are you not happy with?

Thanks

There aren't many if there are connected hardwired smoke detectors. What has been done is to use an interconnect module ​ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQNPOHI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_BQQzDbZ582VDR and modify a contact sensor. You can then use whatever hardwired device you want.
On the link page there is a frequently bought together list that includes a zwave door sensor so it is a common purchase.

1 Like

Walled gardens. google wants us to expose our switches to control our homes with their software but wants to keep there toys in only their sandbox. I get it amazon and apple are doing the same thing. frustrating when companies leverage tech. I get their ONLY purpose is to generate money. BUT it fragments the market and to tell you the truth I prefer the hubitat dashboard or the google home hubs IOT interface. the only thing I would miss of google IOT is assistant control of my lights.

The only way I can send a message to google is to stop buying their products and effect their revenue as small of change as that may have. Personally I've stopped buying any IOT devices that are LOCKED into a provider.

1 Like

@Quantumchaos I found this thread on ST but there are lots of examples. Connected Smoke Alarms - Connected Things - SmartThings Community

1 Like

@Quantumchaos You can use regular smoke/co detectors and this little jewel.

3 Likes

And I guess you can enable Alexa Guard if you have Echo devices throughout your home.

1 Like

This. Works perfectly, and I get to use whichever darn detectors I want.

@JasonJoel Yes sir and they work perfectly each time I test them which is usually once a month. The battery life is great. Mine is still at 100%. If your smoke/co detectors are wired in tandem, so if one goes off they all go off, then you only need one of these jewels!

So, this needs to be wired at the start of the detector run or can it be wired anywhere? Also, can you differentiate between Smoke and CO alerts?

Thanks
Matt

Anywhere, as it works by sound not wires. Although it needs to be very close to a detector (few inches).

Yes it alerts smoke and co separately.

How does it know which is which and it will work with any wire Smoke/CO?

Per US code smoke and co have different sounds and sound patterns. If you are outside the US, I'm not sure how/if it works.

@Quantumchaos Here is the manual for it. Maybe it can help with some of your questions. Mine is installed about 3 in. away from the smoke detector.

Nice, I guess the only downside is in a large home, it would be nice to determine which detector is detecting the CO and/or Smoke.

Thanks

Well, in my house it was $1000 cheaper to do this than replace all detectors. For that price I'll walk around to find the source the 1 time in 5 years it goes off.

Maybe one of these per floor or zone...hmmmm :slight_smile:

North American fire code requires that all smoke/fire detectors in a single family residence be interconnected so that they all sound when any are triggered. To get a detection to an individual detector would require individually wired detectors, which would mean twinning all the detectors.

You might want to consider an interface module on the hardwired traditional detector, and then individual zigbee or zwave detector in areas that you want location specific detection.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but every parts store in Florida sells battery operated dumb detectors from Home Depot to CVS to Wall-mart. There's no way to interconnect those. Is this something for rental properties? Also I've not heard of a North American standards body. There's the NFPA (My other hobby is Pyrotechnics) that I had to join to get NFPA 1123 for show setup requirements, but the N stands for National so that's USA only. I take the safety of my family seriously so I'm looking to be schooled here so lay some knowledge on me please.