Best Deadbolt Locks?

I only partially understand beaming but why is this handled "better" in ST? This lock had been running for a few years. Is there is some sort of issue with the way HE handles sleeping or beam-?less? devices?.

I own 3 Schlage Z-Wave locks. They were a PITA with Iris. They are a PITA with HE

1 Like

Just tested when I unlock via the keypad it starts working from HE. I guess that means it woke up and sent something to HE?

It wakes, sees the 'you have messages' and then stay awake longer... long enough to work. When it does go back to sleep, it will return to the possibility of not getting that 'you have messages.'

I think what I'm saying is that the code running on your older lock may not have the resiliency that Lock manufacturers acquired over the years and are now putting into their current locks. Perhaps it meets the minimum spec for wake time, but experience has shown them that 50% more is so much better. You've presumably looked at code upgrades to that old lock. What's left is adding something that also meets the minimum wake time (response) in the form of Beaming.

A Wall Outlet or Light switch/dimmer have practically nothing to do all day. Thus they have plenty of time to listen and respond to that minimum wake time. All they need to do is get one message in.

I never had any luck with that and I tried several different repeaters including Zooz outlet and a few others but I am sure it was something I forgot to do configuration-wise.

I guess thinking about it more means that my old ST hub was chatty, maybe too chatty - so it worked but maybe at the expense of causing other issues. mmmmmm.

I have two Yale B1L deadbolt Z-Wave locks and although they took a little extra time to pair correctly, once they are locked-in, they are pretty much locked in. Every once in awhile they will get out of sync with the device driver it someone opens and closes the deadbolt very quickly (typically a manual open/close of the knob), but the "Reliable Locks" smart app does a good job of getting them back in sync in a matter of minutes. Can't speak for the other brands but the Yale's have worked well for me on Hubitat.

2 Likes