Before you buy an RPI4

LOL. That is EXACTLY why I stopped reading BetaNews a long time ago. Their headlines are intentionally inflammatory and biased just to get higher click counts. I prefer Beta "news", not Beta "opinion".

The RPi4 isn't "faulty" per se, it just doesn't work with ALL USB-C chargers (but it does work with MANY)... A future hardware rev may fix that entirely, though.

Even with having to be a little careful on the charging source, it is still the best and most supported single board computer on the market.

2 Likes

How about a much more level-headed article without ridiculous hyperbole that explains the suitable type of cable (not charger) that will work with the RPi4B+?

Choice quotes from Pi co-creator Eben Upton:

"A smart charger with an e-marked cable will incorrectly identify the Raspberry Pi 4 as an audio adapter accessory, and refuse to provide power," says Upton.

"I expect this will be fixed in a future board revision, but for now users will need to apply one of the suggested workarounds. It's surprising this didn't show up in our (quite extensive) field testing program."

2 Likes

It is a bit pathetic that they didn't just follow the spec and get it right first time.

I agree. It was a definite miss... There will be a new hardware rev in a few months I'm sure...

Fortunately it's not a complete loss and the PI foundations first opps in design. Everyone gets their first opps freebie.

Agreed. But it's still a real surprise they would get so many tough things right and then not think to simply copy the clear diagram in the spec! Apparently the difference is 1 additional resistor! RPi4 will still be wildly successful of course but I will wait for the board revision.

I'm waiting for the next rev, too. Unless of course they want to seill me a "broken" one for half off... Lol