Bedside Lamp setup

I am working on a bedside lamp setup and would appreciate some help sorting out how best to do what I want.

Here is what I was thinking:

Two bedside lamps, each with a smart bulb.
Switch at the door (Possibly a Pico remote) that would turn on/off/dim both lights at the same time.
Pico remote on each nightstand that controls that lamp but also has the ability to to turn off the other lamp maybe via a double tap or some other option if the Pico can handle that?

That's doable! I'm not sure if the pico can do a double-tap but you could use the center button on the 5 button remove to toggle the opposing lamp on/off. And they make a nice little stand for the pico that is perfect for a bedside table.

Or you could use Alexa...

Pico Double tap was introduced an update or two ago.. I use it on several of my Pico's

The bottom button of the Pico's are used for "off" (naturally :slight_smile: ) and that turns off the light in "this room" -- but a double-tap turns off lights in this room PLUS a wider circle... like hallways and such. Basically I use it as a "turn off the lights that are shining in this room, keeping me awake" :smiley:

1 Like

While I didn't care about the dimming I used a Tuya 4 button scene switch. You could use 2 of the buttons for dim up and dim down. The are capable of click, double click, and hold. So a total of 12 commands (good luck remembering what does what)

Also, you can clone the first one you setup so you only have to do it once.

I have that exact setup...

Opted not to have light switches put in -but sconces can still be turned off manually. 2 Picos - one on my side the other on my wife's side. WAF is high with this particular setup.

Am thinking about upgrading our master bedroom light switch to a newer smart switch with scene control, that way can use double-taps at the switch like I do elsewhere.

I have something similar but use Zooz Zen34's. We have them mounted to the side of the nightstand with command strips so we can remove them if needed. They have single tap, double tap, and held state for both up and down.

Another idea if you have a good zigbee network would be to make the lamp smart instead of putting a smart bulb in it. Sonoff makes a generic zigbee controller that can turn the lamp on and off over zigbee if you have any desire to do that as well. You would just need to cut the power cord and wire in the controller. I have used a couple of them.

I have the exact setup you're asking about. It works great. I use Pico remotes on each nightstand, along with one on the wall next to an overhead light switch. Picos are great as they can blend right into a Decora style wall-plate alongside a real switch.

I use the Advanced Button Controller (ABC) app as it makes this task very simple to setup. Make sure you use Zigbee bulbs (or Philips Hue bridge connected bulbs) as these support the "StartLevelChange" and "StopLevelChange" commands, which are needed to allow you to push and hold a button on the Pico to increase/decrease the level of the bulbs.

1 Like

@cory We have a pico on a pedestal on each night stand. Top and bottom buttons on/off respectively. Lower up lower down dim up/down respectively. Center button on each pico turns off all lights, tv's, locks doors, forces blinds closed if open etc. Basically shut down the house at night. For the bulbs we use Lifx.

1 Like

I’ve been using the Zen34 also. They work very well and my wife actually likes them.

Our picos work like this currently:

• Top/Bottom buttons Single Tap - toggles sconce related to the pico pressed (wifes side or mine).
  • Top/Bottom buttons Double Tap - toggles sconce opposite to the pico pressed (wifes side or mine).
  • Top/Bottom buttons Triple Tap / held - toggles both sconces based on an HE sconce group "on" state.
  • Middle button toggles a noise machine, no extra taps
  • The up/down buttons control the main light and recessed lights or both based on single/double/Triple taps respectively.

Notes:

• I could have done straight on/off for top and bottom buttons but found the toggling action has been more acceptable / oddly less confusing. Seems to be more about the taps..
  • I am using a Node-RED subflow I wrote called "Button Taps" that uses timing to detect multi-taps for any button controllers including Lutron Picos (with legacy HE driver).
2 Likes

Looking to add some functionality to this but not sure best way to handle. I would like to be able to control the dim levels of either the single lamp or both lamps from a single remote. Was thinking something like a certain button press sets a variable that indicates if I want to control either the individual or both lamps.

Currently using Sengled remote which I could never get the hold to change dim to work so using the following config to set some predefined dim levels based on button pushes. Would like to be able to use the pre-defined for either the single or both lamps.

• B1 Single Tap - Individual on
  • B1 Top Hold - Both on
  • B1 Double Tap - Currently not used
  • B2 Single Tap - Set 40%
  • B2 Hold - Set 80%
  • B3 Single Tap - Set 1%
  • B3 Hold - Set 20%
  • B4 Single Tap - Individual Off
  • B4 Hold - Both off
  • B4 Double Tap - Currently not used

Dang. I already consider my 1-button setup to be unduly complicated. I would need a laminated instruction card to remember anything more complex.

Tap = set bedside level based on current mode
Double Tap = turn on bedside light and hallway to 100%
Hold = fade to off

When I get bored, I will change Tap to toggle (off or set level per mode). Double Tap will also toggle (all proximate lights off or on).

This frees up Hold. Maybe I can use it to exit my wake-up routine that increases the light level over 4 minutes. This always gets me on vacation days.

1 Like

Bear in mind that as you add more button press/tap/hold functions, you increase "button complexity." This can often result in "button forgetfulness" (e.g., What does Hold on Button 3 do again!?), which then results in "button frustration" and Picos being thrown around the room. :wink: True story...

Over time I've simplified our setup so that my wife, who is just not interested in remembering 10 different button actions, doesn't get frustrated. Both buttons on our nightstands are programmed exactly the same. All primary functions she's interested in are accomplished via simple button press, no taps/holds to remember:

All single button press commands:
B1 - Her light on/off toggle
B2 - My light on/off toggle
B3 - Fan on to medium/or turned off if already on
B4 - Master hall lights on/off toggle
B5 - Outside lights on/off toggle

All this is done in Button Controller, which works great.

Not saying something this simple will work for your needs, but I'd set it up so as much as possible your most commonly used commands are accessible via single button press, and make use of toggles so you you guys don't have to remember "do this for on and do this other thing for off." I've got an If/Then for the fan so that it turns on to medium if off, and turns off if already on.

Picos are very powerful, but I've generally found that the more you layer them up with multiple press/tap/double tap/hold commands the harder it is to use them. We do use labels on our picos but there is only space for at most two options on each button, and if you have to stop and read your Pico to use it that gets old quickly.

Just my 2 cents. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I'm with @danabw on this one.. simpler is most definitely better. Also make sure you are consistent with your button scheme throughout the house or it will get worse.

When I had the smart things button for our bedside sconces I used:

• single click toggles your light.
  • dblclick toggles your partners light.
  • hold turns everything off even if one light is on OR toggles lights if both are off or on.

This REALLY worked well so of course I had to go and change it by adding 5 button picos and handle it the way I mentioned in my prior post.

I think toggling vs separate on/off buttons actually works better.

2 Likes

Totally see the logic in using toggles and simplifying. Would still love an easy option to dim one or both lamps with one remote.

1 Like

You can do that of course, I have a couple Button Controller setups that include dimming. Does require a Hold if you've used your Push options for other things. I like using Hold for dimming as it feels "normal" to my wife to hold a button to dim until it's where she wants it. Works like a normal light switch dimmer which you hold to dim up or down. So more intuitive for her than a press starting a dim.

Here's an example, look at buttons 1, 2, 4, and 5. Buttons 1 and 5 and 2 and 4 are "paired" to do the dim up and dim down. Button higher on the Pico dims up, lower one dims down. Wife liked that arrangement the best.

Buttons 2 & 4 are dimming two lights up or down.

Oh, and just a general point - "pairing" buttons 1 & 5 and 2 & 4 on related actions is something my wife got right away and liked. She is very unwilling student regarding automations, and doesn't want to have to think/remember anything, but said having the top/bottom and 2nd/4th buttons assigned to things together made perfect sense to her (so she doesn't have to think/remember). May not be the same w/your family, but it works very well here.

1 Like