Bedroom Automation - First Time!

Hey everyone,

We finally have possession of our new home and I have been extremely excited on setting up a smart home. I've got my mesh wifi setup, have my HE, and now ready for my first automations!

This post is a request to help me get the automation snowball rolling properly. If you've got any product recommendations, tips, or anything else you'd think would help, I'm all ears.

I'd like to set up a Zigbee network first. The first room I'm working on is in the master bedroom. There are two automations that I'm looking to achieve here:

#1 - The Morning Wake Up Routine
Idea: 1Hr-30mins prior to our scheduled wake up, a routine triggers. Lights in the room will slowly get brighter, the aroma machine starts up, and a white noise slowly increases volume.

The struggle I'm having here comes from the lights. Ideally, they are RGB that fill the room and have the ability to create FX (ex. Sporadic white lighting on the roof to mimic a thunderstorm). I'd like to avoid Phillips Hue/Lutron/etc. for now, solely because of price. My research has guided me towards Govee and mavrrick58's great integration thread. My concerns with Govee are that the strips I can get in Canada don't look to be on the LAN API list, and if I get the Govee's to work on Hubitat, how restricted am I with Govee's features?

For the aroma machine, I'm pretty sure I just need a Zigbee smart plug and have Hubitat trigger it at a certain time. For the sound, I'm also pretty sure I just get an Echo and trigger it with Hubitat.

#2 - Middle of the Night Bathroom Journey
Idea: Partner or I have to get up in the middle of the night. Feet hit the ground -> motion sensor triggers lights to turn on at a low level. Bathroom light also turns on.

My concern comes down to lights again. I'd like an inexpensive LED strip to throw under the bed. Ideally, this strip only triggers certain lights depending which motion sensor triggers the automation.

Thanks for the help all. If you got any other bedroom automation ideas, let me know! Hoping to tackle my house one room at a time. Cheers!

1 Like

Since you are new, (welcome!!!) take a gander at this, it will help avoid some gotchas. Pay attention to the zigbee section since you are starting with zigbee.

So with this is it a mechanical button or soft button to turn it on? So if you turn the unit on and then unplug it physically, then plug it back in, does the unit come on or does it stay off?

For this I use a centralite night lite (also has a battery backup and is a zigbee repeater). After 10:30 if you enter the bathroom, it comes on at 25% in blue which is bright enough not to miss the toilet, but not bright enough to wake you.

Not exactly sure what you mean here. Do you plan on having multiple sensors in the bedroom turning on certain lights? Can you clarify?

Thanks a lot for the link. For the bulbs, I'll want a Hue hub for the ZLL's, or focus on Sengled or 3.0. Seems like while Hue costs more, it is probably more manageable in the long run. Lots of great other info on here and has been bookmarked.

Regarding the aroma machine, I believe it's mechanical on/off. If I plug it in while On, it immediately starts up. Good news for a smart outlet I bet.

Thanks a lot for the example for my second automation.

Regarding the multiple motion lights, I'm envisioning the following. My wife sleeps closest to the bathroom. If she gets up and triggers her motion sensor, only the lights that are enroute to the bathroom turn on. The lights under my side of the bed would not turn on. If I get up and trigger my motion sensor, the lights on my side would turn on, as well as the lights enroute to the bathroom.

Appreciate the help! Looking into lights more tonight and hope to order some soon.

The early generation Hue bulbs were ZLL, but for the last couple (few, maybe longer?) years, Hue bulbs are all zigbee 3.0

https://a.co/d/19DEDNo

We use these for the bathroom and walkways. They work great, no fancy sensors or drivers needed. I love to automate but sometimes the more simple the better.

1 Like

Sengled can be finicky. Since they don't repeat you will need lots of repeaters. That said, I would recommend switches for overhead lights and bulbs just for table lamps. If you want colored bulbs for the ceiling, several companies make them. For almost all bulbs these days I recommend Lifx. 100% local and native hubitat support.

That is great. Any outlet will do. If it doesn't move around and you wanna keep it neat, get a receptacle instead of a wall wart.

That is going to be difficult with motion sensors as the beam on those is really wide. You can't focus them. In that case I would look to get some kind of pressure mat instead.

You can narrow in a motion sensor beam, only by mecanical blocking.
Over over kithen zink I have a hue sensor, and if it is dark enough it turns on the zink light for 30 seconds. The beam is narroved by a tube restricting side vue.
I made a ditto over the stove.
Both of the triggers a variable to count up one per time it triggers. After 15 minuttes it subtracts one again.
If the variable reach a value of 15 it is asumed that someone is cooking, and all ligts comes on

That sounds like a pain to be honest...Maybe an FP2 with zones? Not sure how well it could be dialed in, especially with a bed.