Barebones C-8 with only ser2net

I would argue based on the HA analytics, and other factors the market is expanding. Home automation in general is expanding. More people are looking to be less reliant on the cloud. More people with large homes (could potentially need two or more C-8s) are looking for alternatives to professionally installed, very expensive home automation systems. More people (especially HA users) have home labs with media servers or game servers with virtualized environments where this would fit perfectly.

Using zigbee2mqtt or zwaveJSUI allows home automation nerds or custom automation integrators to make their own system when combined with Node-RED. C-8 with ser2net fits this perfectly.

Automation needs are becoming more sophisticated and the market for TCP based routers/controllers is expanding.

IMO two system that need regular security and patch updates communicating via API is not user friendly. Applying an update to one system that kills communication with the other is not user friendly. More devices that work as an appliance (not needing regular updates) with a minimal attack surface, can be easily secured and is from a reputable company is very beneficial and they would be willing to pay for it.

Then you made my point, this wouldn't be targeted to you. You either have a small enough environment where your mesh is strong, you don't have many neighbors on competing 2.4ghz killing your Zigbee, you don't have multiple separate buildings on your property that are too far for standard mesh, or you don't have some devices that have limited range.

As I mentioned above, you cannot match the hardware features for the price, period. You are overlooking key features the C-8 provides such as external antennas. They are extremely beneficial and is arguably the single best reason to upgrade from a previous version Evolution to the C-8. Why else would Hubitat make this new hub? Just for new radios... doubt it. Customers who are having range issue will pay a premium for external antennas. IMO this is one thing that Hubitat was anticipating then threw in the new radios because why release a hub with outdated hardware.

It's a moot point either way as Hubitat is unlikely to go in this direction. They march to the beat of their own drum and not others and it has served them well. They are as likely to give up control of their software/hardware as I am to go back to my ex...

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.