Backup scheduler stopped since 2.3.0.116?

This was fixed in 2.3.0.118. I saw it, too, prior to that, but it was fixed for me with 2.3.0.118.

I saw that too, but then why did my backup schedules not restart? And, more importantly, do I have any way of accessing an updated backup -- I assume not.

Unclear what you are asking. Automated backups are stored on your hub, accessible on Settings, Backup and Restore.

From what I read of the 2.3.X fix, the backup schedules should have resumed on their own once one updates firmware (which I did). Given that was the case, I am:

1. confused about why mine schedules never resumed ever since early November -- weird.
  2. desperate to find if in fact they did resume, but the UI is wrong, in which case I'm praying I don't have to rebuild 6-7 weeks of changes.

If you are concerned you can always take a manual backup…

Still unclear. See above screenshot. You can always make and download a backup at any time, as you should before and after making changes.

But there is no way to have backups appear from the period where no backups were made.

Yes, I am completely clear about that. What I'm scratching my head about is why the regular scheduled backups didn't resume, as they appeared to for everyone else?

And secondarily, is it possible that they did, and the UI is wrong?

I fully acknowledge the second question is a total reach out of desperation. But mostly my confusion pertains to the first question.

:man_shrugging: Check the Settings at the bottom of the Backup and Restore page, try slightly changing the backup time, click Update. There’s a remote possibility that you have some database corruption, in which case downloading a manual backup, Soft Reset, then re-load the saved backup could fix that.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Soft_Reset

No.

1 Like

Yeah that's what I was afraid. You can appreciate why I was trying to avoid reality. :hot_face: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Something to try, may or may not work, but could try altering the scheduled time to something else and see if that kick-starts it.

I don't think you'll need to even change the scheduled time, just saving it again should be enough.
But yeah, it should have started on its own. Please PM me your hub id if you want me to take a look at the engineering logs on the hub.

One of my hubs still won’t backup automatically no matter what I’ve tried. Will PM you thx.

@gopher.ny, this problem--where the local backup doesn't happen as scheduled--is reoccurring. Here are two examples, one where the backup is happening twice each night, and the other when it is only happening every few days. So confused. And concerned. What would you suggest?

How do you have the automated local backups configured?

Mine have been running properly on schedule for years.

The hub that is running two backups per day… do you have any external systems that are automatically creating/downloading a backup in addition to the normal local automatic one?

1 Like

Yes, I have local backups configured, or at least I've set them up using the interface you pasted above.

I do reboot a couple of my hubs daily, so that might (?) explain the double backups. But regardless, I'm way more worried about the pattern of missed backups. Stumped.

Yes, rebooting a hub in an orderly manner does cause a new backup to be taken.

Please post a screenshot of the backup settings for the Hub that misses its backups.

It almost looks like the backups that are created for that hub are possibly from when it is rebooted. Perhaps changing the time and/or frequency of the automated local backups for this hub, and then clicking UPDATE, will reschedule the automated backup job and get things working again? Just a guess.

First screenshot most likely indicates backups happening on reboot in addition to regular schedule.
Second one is of more concern as it shows backups happening during reboot only (which coincide with firmware updates). Can you PM me the hub id of that second hub? I'll check out what's going on in the engineering logs, there may be clues there.

Edit: found the old PM with hub id, never mind.

3 Likes

Yeah I had exactly the same guess (re: missing backups). So I changed the time for local backups a minute or two and hit update, but it didn't seem to matter.
Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 3.49.08 PM

1 Like

not sure it's the same hub id, so just PM'd it to you.

For anyone who follows me who is having problems with the local backup scheduler (backups not happening), here's what I learned.

The Problem: I was finding that my correctly scheduled local backups were only running once every few days (or longer), not every night as prescribed.

The Solution: At @gopher.ny's suggestion, I took a look at the Schedule Jobs log. Sure enough, I had a poorly written rule that was spamming the hub, resulting in literally hundreds of scheduled jobs (he admits embarrassingly). While I don't quite understand why specifically the sin showed up in the backup processing (I wasn't seeing general slowdowns in the hub), once I cleaned up the offending rule, everything worked as expected. My 3:30am backups now happen reliably.

Cheers all

3 Likes