(BACK IN STOCK 1/9/20) New Zen34 from The Smartest House

Just updated to the Zooz driver and the ability for this to device to directly control another Z-wave device is pretty cool. No need for a rule. One of these I bought because in one of my bedrooms they placed a switch in a bad location, its almost behind teh door when it's opened. Didn't want to add wiring and move the switch as the location where it needed to be would have been costly to have wiring put in. This device was the perfect solution. It looks just like a decor switch on the wall with no wiring and it directly controls the other switch.

The other spot was for my front porch. It is a wrap around porch with 4 light fixtures around it. I have individual Zigbee bulbs in the 4 fixtures. One light sits right outside our bedroom window so at night if motion triggers the outside lights I can have them all come on but that one. So before I just had a cover over the switch and left it on all the time. So I removed the switch hardwired them together and them placed the Zen34 in the outlet box. Now I can manually control the lights if I want, and I don't have that weird looking little cover over the toggle switch. This device was perfect for both of these uses

1 Like

On the Zen34 instruction sheet that comes with the switch: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0218/7704/files/zooz-700-series-remote-switch-zen34-manual.pdf?v=1604982769
it talks about tapping button 1 and 2 for ON and OFF, and holding button 1 and 2 for "multilevel start level change" up and down, and releasing a held button for "stop multilevel level change". This seems like how the Zooz Zen26 works for the wired dimmer (which it seems mere mortals can easily grep).

Can I, with a C5 and a Zen34 do that, for example with a zigbee or zwave dimable bulb? If yes, which driver and which app?

I have tried Button Controller and both the native driver and the driver Zooz points to but can only get the button 1 and 2 for ON and OFF. (I may have missed the "hit configure" part for the native driver).

Thanks in advance!

What do I know, but I've been fooling around with the Zen34 and a GE wall dimmer. I find if I associate the dimmer to the remote in both groups 2 and 3 it works nicely. Press top button to turn on, bottom to turn off, top hold to increase and bottom, etc.

I still wish I could control the child relays on the Zen16 multirelay individually.

edit: and don't forget about the 7 pushes of the top button to wake up the device and save settings.

If I follow your question, you would use the held and released actions, screenshot below is in button controller. Held uses the start raising command and released for stopping. There were some bugs with the built in driver for this device in 2.2.4 that might have broken these actions - it should be fixed in 2.2.5. Do you not see these options in the button controller app?

If you don’t, you’ll probably need to switch over to the Zooz made driver that they have linked on their website.

@velvetfoot [I think I replied in the wrong place. Still kind of new to this forumspeak way of communicating.]

Word

I have learned that lesson. Maybe not we’ll enough. Do I just have to redo that when/if I change the driver? Or also any settings changes to the device? I guess the syncstatus in the device will warn me when something is pending.

All my dozens of switches/dimmers are Zooz. I have a couple of double plugs and one of their motion detectors. But I don’t yet have a multirelay... yet. Am thinking I may have a use for one...

Thanks!

Scott

Thanks! I am using the Zooz driver and I do see the options for button 1 and 2 and press and release.

Two potentially complicating factors... “living lamps” is not a Zen27 and “living lamps” is a virtual device. Living lamps is a virtual dimmer and two smart bulbs mirror that virtual dimmer.

I guess I could try doing this directly to one of the bulbs (i.e. to a physical device) to see if that works. And/or I can wait for 2.2.5. If I can successfully drive the single physical bulb then I could have the 2nd bulb mirror the first, or some other way group the two bulbs.

So if you're already using the Zooz advanced driver, you shouldn't have to wait. As far as I know that should work. What you have there, looks like it should work. In my rule, the device I have specified is a Hue group, just for context.

So if you're still having issues, I'd say start things off simple. Try it with a single bulb and see what happens.

This is exactly what I use for controlling my front porch Zigbee bulbs(4) that are controlled by the Zooz Zen34. It seems to work well. Although admittedly we don't use the switch very often. I mainly put it there to get rid of the toggle switch that I kept covered, I just hardwired the bulbs on all the time, esthetics(WAF). They put switches in odd places in this house, and that was one that is not very convenient.

Yes, there is even a message in the device page to hit the top button 7 times.

There is and I like that. That shows that someone [Hubitat? Zooz?] has great attention to detail and good UI design folk.

I did the same for similar reasons.

One of my three 'by the front door' switches was for the porch light. Since Hubitat is turning the porch light off and on at the appropriate times (other than late in the evening on 10/31 when we're out of candy) I wanted that space in that 3 gang switch plate to be able to control the couple of table lamps in the adjacent living room. Something we'd be likely to want to control much more often.

Looks like the Zen34 may be able to do that 'beautifully' (i.e. with the same look and user interface as the Zen26/27s in the rest of the group of switches).

Thanks, will do!

Exactly this. In my experience the start raising/lowering commands don’t work with groups... but if I list the individual bulbs it does.
To be fair, I haven’t used a ZEN34 yet, but have tried with other button controllers (Inovelli Red, Sylvania Dimmer, etc)

After reading this I realized I had checked that the front porch lights turned on and off but had not really looked at dimming. The Zen34 is on my C7 hub while the Zigbee bulbs are on my C5. I had only shared the group I had made and not the individual bulbs via hub mesh. The dimming was not working. I shared the individual bulbs and but them in the button controller app for dimming and it now works.

1 Like

Having used these devices for a couple weeks now, I’m not sure if it’s just me, but I find that I have to take very slow and deliberate clicks when doing a multitap scene. If I tap too quickly, more often than not it is just registered as a single tap.

This is in comparison to inovelli switches that I’m able to do multi-taps in pretty quick succession and it is recognized accurately.

So @agnes.zooz, maybe a unique experience for me, not sure if it’s a firmware thing or not, but just figured I’d note it as some feedback. It’s not really an issue, as I’m mostly using them with only single taps anyway.

We haven't seen that before but I've requested some more testing for the multi-tap in particular (I also only use mine for single taps). Thank you for sharing your feedback!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.