Avoid Keen vents at all costs *scam*

No argument there.

I'll be moving to Hubitat soon, as ST is depreciating their groovy platform and many of my custom device handlers will likely not convert to an existing edge driver.

However, there are discussions on the ST community about the battery life issue as well, so this might be a hub agnostic problem. I only experience the battery issue with a vent I installed about two months ago after my other vents had been working fine for several months.

I guess the vents will be the first devices I try moving and I'll be sure to update on the results either way. It'll probably be around November.

Maybe they never had a significant other that likes to keep raising the thermostat to 80 because they're cold even though the house is set at 76, and the room they're in is 78. Those vents may have saved my marriage because my wife can regulate the cold air being pumped into the room she is occupying without having to grab a ladder and one of those "pickup & reach" robot arms.

1 Like

That's what space heaters and warm clothes are for. :wink:

1 Like

What is the relative humidity level inside your house? If it is very low, say 40% at 76F, You might consider raising RH to be about 50% at 76F. It will make 76F feel much warmer on human skin.

Basically, we detect dew-point, not temperature. 40% RH at 76F is a dew-point of 49F, whereas 50% at 76F would be a dew-point of 56F. 49F would feel cold. 56F would be very comfortable.

6 Likes

An alternative might be a vent booster fan..

https://www.amazon.com/vent-booster-fan/s?k=vent+booster+fan

You could control this via a smart plug or outlet. I guess the concern would be too low pressure maybe?

1 Like

Yeah I looked into these as well. Ultimately it was too much work, so I unfortunately went with Keen, aka a pile of hot garbage. The only thing worse than the vents is the level of support you will receive from their overseas personnel.

There are smart duct systems that communicate back to the handler and do everything we dream of, but those systems are not cheap.

At the end of the day, the mini split system is the way to go.

1 Like

I'm pretty sure my wife is just cold blooded.

(Humidity is 48% -54% depending on the room.)

2 Likes