Automating my garage door - what parts

I was digging in our closet and found a golden box I had forgotten that I had. I found an Inovelli z-wave plus outdoor plug that we had purchased for some outdoor lights for our other house. SCORE. One always on plug and one smart plug. I've been hoping to automate our overhead for some time, but was short on plugs because my husband is using the second for his hanging extension cord. To keep the HAF, I've refrained from relocating his hangy thing with power.
Now that I've found this little gem, I'm totally motivated. I set it up on a generic z-wave plug and it can auto off after 1 second, so I think I'm golden to move forward as I can plug the opener in the always on side of the device. So, I searched though the forum to find some ideas as I've bookmarked other doors, but I'm coming up empty.
First, is using this device as a momentary switch for the application a good idea? I don't want to burn down the house.
Second - what do I need to hook into my opener? It's no a new opener. It is a chamberlain though. But an old one.
As always, i welcome the input.

2 Likes

Works.

The other two things you need are:

1. A door sensor (contact, tilt). Your choice. I'm using Xiaomi - you should not! A lot of people use the Samsung multi-sensor

2. You need one of these relays (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017743I7S/)

You'll also need a little wire to connect the C and NO contacts on that relay to the terminals on the GDO that the door button is connected to.

That's it - young lady!

3 Likes

Something can always go wrong with any electrical. But the odds of a fire are much higher if there is a high current load being pulled through a plug. The amp load here is minimal. I'd worry more about other things - like doing laundry :rofl:

2 Likes

I already have a zwave contact sensor on the door. I'll add a second to avoid false reads. I'll order up the relay today. I'm sure the previous owner wired something up with a lamp cord somewhere else in the house. (I wish I wasn't serious about that) - so I'll find one and harvest it.

So then I could just use a RM rule to mesh this together right?

2 Likes

100%. I control mine using two virtual switches. Here's my rule

47%20PM

2 Likes

I just looked at that relay. Nice. I've never seen anything like that before. I'll shout out on Tuesday for some guidance on that. I just love the design of that relay. Seems solid and safe. Both things I like.

2 Likes

That's a nice compliment for your better half (sorry, equivalent half - I'm going PC) :+1::+1:

1 Like

When I mentioned it to him, he said "hurry up". Our garage door doesn't respond well to our remotes and it's sometimes very frustrating. He has to pull right up to the door before he can get it to open. It's just getting old and we anticipate having to replace it in the next few years, but if we can get it to play better until then, we'll be happy. this also keeps our button on the wall active. I like that idea.

1 Like

He is my better half.

2 Likes

Nah - they're real easy and cheap to fix. Mine's is a Katrina rescue - new motor, new gears. Total spent about $40. New one was about $75-100 at the time. Changed the board out a couple years ago - that about $50. This thing is going to outlast me.

1 Like

Oh, you're a sweet girl and you're both lucky!

2 Likes

awh - stahp .. :blush:
I'm super excited to get this rolling. I'm going to mess with the rule today since all i need is that switch handy. So I can get everything before I put it up. Do you auto open your garage on arrival? I'm interested in the car monitoring module. Might be nice for a garage door trigger.

2 Likes

In theory :rofl: works about 75% of the time. The rest of the time, I have to say, "Alexa, raise the garage door" - I put a $40 thing in the car that gives it Alexa (https://www.amazon.com/Alexa-Enabled-Navigation-Initiated-Streaming-Bluetooth/dp/B07SSLXGMJ/).

2 Likes

I have an alexa auto. I LOVE it! I think I'll have to work into this slowly. I'll get the automation set up and then figure out how to make interaction passive. You know that's how I love it. I don't want to have to ask for something to happen. Challenge accepted.

2 Likes

I just looked this up. NICE. I might use that for the car. The truck has to have an aux for alexa to work. It's a 2011. But my car is up to date on tech. I'll add this to my wish list.

1 Like

You pretty much have all the answers you need. But I have the same inovelli plug and it works perfectly. However mine has two outlets that are controllable. I control two doors with it.

2 Likes

I believe that this was one of the original models. What driver are you using for it? I chose t he generic relay which has an auto off after 1 second. I'm curious to know how you have yours set up.

Why not use the Zooz ZEN16 relay unit to close the circuit to the opener? That should be all you need.

Had I known, then yes. I repurposed an existing smart plug and contact sensors, so automating the door will be 12$ out of pocket with @aaiyar 's suggestion. The zooz might have been under used in this application. I only glanced at it, but I could see a lot of useful ideas coming of this. Thanks for suggesting it. I've got some other automations on my wish list that will fit this nicely.

2 Likes

Totally get it :slight_smile:

And yes the relay, while capable it a bit of overkill for this solution.

2 Likes