Automating Fireplace

Hello,

I have a gas fireplace that I would like to automatically turn on every morning for a few minutes before I enter the living room. I found a few posts where people suggested using a relay to automate the fireplace but, I was wondering if I can replace the existing dumb switch with a smart on/off switch to achieve this requirement. Are there any known issues if I do that or is automating the fireplace even a good idea?

Thanks,
Ranjith

In my opinion, no. Maybe it’s not a legit distinction, since any of my light switches could theoretically start a fire I suppose, but the idea of automating a device thats purpose is to start a fire makes me nervous.

4 Likes

If you automate it, you need to do so without removing any of the safety protections. Our gas fireplaces have a thermocouple that senses the fireplace flame so that, if the flame goes out or does not light after the igniter fires a few times, the gas is cut off so that the room doesn’t fill with gas that any spark might ignite. And, to echo a post above, I WOULD NOT automate the fireplace turn on. I have automated the fireplace bed lights and the colored lights in the barrier glass, but nothing having to do with ignition or gas flow.

2 Likes

I have automated my fireplace, but you can't just use a regular smart switch. My fireplace uses millivolt control made by the pilot light. You need a dry type relay like the remotec zfm-80 relay which uses 120 volt to pull in the coil, but doesn't put the 120 volt on the wires from the fireplace it just makes the the connection between them.

Here's how I automated my millivolt fireplace using a GoControl thermostat...

I used this for a millivolt fireplace.
I just use voice control and there are no scheduled fireplace events ( although you could ) I just got tired of almost being asleep on the sofa and having to get up to turn off the fireplace.

And this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HKW8XF6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_KpMHFb0H42F1V

I wired in series with the existing switch, so if I want to disconnect it from automation I just flip the wall switch so that even if the relay activates, it won’t come on. No safety systems were bypassed and since a hand held remote is available for millivolt fireplaces, I figured HA control is as safe as a remote the cat can step on and activate the fireplace.
During the off season, I just turn off the gas valve under the fireplace anyway.
We’ve used it about 7 evenings this season and the WAF is 100%.

Following. I'd like to do the same. Since our fireplace is coming with a remote and blower, I heard decent things about this device.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071GVGVVH/?coliid=I17UD35G8R1CDT&colid=2LDG2MKXMG8GN&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Go for it. I've automated my fireplace and written about it here: https://community.hubitat.com/t/fireplace-automation/30419

Let me know if you have any questions

Bond works great for automating the fireplace using RF. You can get the features such as on, off, flame up, flame down etc. I even have the hub sitting in my basement out of site controlling my fireplace in my family room. Their support is great too.

One thing to keep in mind though, if your remote has extra features like mine where it monitors the temperature and adjust the fireplace as needed, then you will lose this ability as the remote wont know when the fireplace is turned on via the bond.

No way around it unless you write your own automatons to simulate this behavior.

1 Like