Automatic return from Away doesn't work if Away not set automatically

I used to have both Away and Return from Away set in Mode Manager based on presence, and both setting Away and returning from Away worked flawlessly.

Recently I had to switch to setting Away from RM (because of a condition that isn't supported in MM), and now Return from Away doesn't work.

In the logs, I see "Person Arrived, but not changing from Away", but I am unsure why?
Here are the mode manager settings:

1 Like

Please post a screenshot of the actual logs, what you put in quotes is not what it actually put out.

My guess is that you have modified these settings, perhaps more than once, and something is left over from doing that. I would suggest that you remove this completely, and set it up from scratch. That should work.

Or, post the Application State from the App Status page (gear icon), so I can see why it won't change the mode as you expect. I just tested a setup just like yours, and it works as expected.

What I put in the quotes is exactly what I see in the logs. And the screenshot is exactly the state of the app right now.

The only change from what was working was to remove the Away setting from "Set Mode with Presence Sensors" table.

I still need to see the Application State from the App Status page,

My suggestion as to removing this and re-creating stands. That can be done on the App Status page.

I'll try and report back. Thanks, @bravenel!

Got back to it after a while, and the problem persists, @bravenel.

I removed the Mode Manager and recreated it as it was. Please see the setup page, the Application State, and the log entries.

{"deviceReplacements":{"1":{"deviceName":"Day Switch","deviceLabel":"Day Switch","deviceTypeName":"Virtual Switch","deviceTypeNamespace":"hubitat"},"500":{"deviceName":"Life360 - Alice","deviceLabel":null,"deviceTypeName":"Life360+ Driver","deviceTypeNamespace":"jpage4500"},"501":{"deviceName":"Life360 - Amir","deviceLabel":null,"deviceTypeName":"Life360+ Driver","deviceTypeNamespace":"jpage4500"},"502":{"deviceName":"Life360 - Baruch","deviceLabel":null,"deviceTypeName":"Life360+ Driver","deviceTypeNamespace":"jpage4500"},"503":{"deviceName":"Life360 - Daniel","deviceLabel":null,"deviceTypeName":"Life360+ Driver","deviceTypeNamespace":"jpage4500"}},"appReplacements":{"376":{"appTypeName":"Mode Manager","appTypeNamespace":"hubitat","appType":"sys","appName":"Mode Manager","appLabel":"Mode Manager <span style='color:green'>Evening</span>","parentAppInstalledAppId":null,"parentAppTypeName":null,"parentAppTypeNamespace":null,"parentAppName":null,"parentAppLabel":null,"childApps":{},"singleInstance":true}},"appData":{"376":{"state":{"buttonTable":{},"modeNames":{"33":"Morning","1":"Day","2":"Evening","3":"Night","4":"Away"},"TimeModes":{"33":"Morning","1":"Day","2":"Evening","4":"Away"},"modes":[{"4":"Away"},{"1":"Day"},{"2":"Evening"},{"33":"Morning"},{"3":"Night"}],"shadowMode":"Evening","timeSort":["33","1","2"],"ButModes":{},"previousModes":[1,2,3,4,33],"clonedName":"Mode Manager <span style='color:green'>Evening</span>","SwModes":{"33":"Morning","3":"Night"},"PresModes":{"4":"Away"},"mode":"2","todayN":"1","dayGroups":{"1":[true,false,false,true,true,false,false],"2":[false,false,false,false,false,true,true],"3":[false,true,true,false,false,false,false]},"modeIds":{"Away":"4","Evening":"2","Night":"3","Morning":"33","Day":"1"},"dayGroupNdx":3,"imported":true,"previousModeNames":["Day","Evening","Night","Away","Morning"]},"appSettings":[{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"cancel","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"1.2.Sat-Sun","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"addTime","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~2~1","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~2~2","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~2~0","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"atTime2.1","type":"time","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"atTime33.2","type":"time","value":"11:00"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"removeTime","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"atTime2.2","type":"time","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"atSunsetOffset2.22","type":"number","value":"-15"},{"deviceList":{"1":"Day Switch"},"multiple":true,"name":"switches33","type":"capability.switch","value":null},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":true,"name":"newMode","type":"enum","value":null},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"doneSwO","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"1.1.Mon-Tue-Wed-Thu-Fri","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"time2.1","type":"enum","value":"A specific time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"time2.2","type":"enum","value":"A specific time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"removePres","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"1","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"2","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"atTime2.11","type":"time","value":"18:00"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"atTime2.12","type":"time","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"3","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"4","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"timeType1.1","type":"enum","value":"Single Time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"time2.11","type":"enum","value":"A specific time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"timeType1.2","type":"enum","value":"Single Time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"time2.12","type":"enum","value":"Sunset"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":true,"name":"switchModes","type":"enum","value":null},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~1~6","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"logging","type":"bool","value":"true"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~1~4","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":{"500":"Life360 - Alice","501":"Life360 - Amir","502":"Life360 - Baruch","503":"Life360 - Daniel"},"multiple":true,"name":"presenceReturn","type":"capability.presenceSensor","value":null},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~1~5","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":true,"name":"buttonModes","type":"enum","value":null},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"2.1.Mon-Tue-Wed-Thu-Fri","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"timeType33.2","type":"enum","value":"Single Time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"timeType33.1","type":"enum","value":"Single Time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~1~2","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~1~3","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~1~0","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"33.2.Sat-Sun","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~1~1","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"atTime1.2","type":"time","value":"13:00"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"update","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"timeDone","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"atTime1.1","type":"time","value":"12:00"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":true,"name":"ignoreModes","type":"enum","value":"[\\"4\\"]"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":true,"name":"timeModes","type":"enum","value":"[\\"1\\",\\"2\\",\\"33\\"]"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"any~Return","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":true,"name":"presenceModes","type":"enum","value":null},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"atTime2.22","type":"time","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"arrive~4","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"time2.22","type":"enum","value":"Sunset"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"time2.21","type":"enum","value":"A specific time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"atTime2.21","type":"time","value":"18:00"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"33","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"addSw","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"donePres","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"Return","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"eraseTime","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"time1.2","type":"enum","value":"A specific time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"removeSw","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"setMode","type":"enum","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":true,"name":"timeType4.2","type":"enum","value":"[]"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"any~4","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"time1.1","type":"enum","value":"A specific time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"33.1.Mon-Tue-Wed-Thu-Fri","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"time33.1","type":"enum","value":"A specific time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"atSunsetOffset2.12","type":"number","value":"-15"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"time33.2","type":"enum","value":"A specific time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"doneSw","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":{"1":"Day Switch"},"multiple":true,"name":"switchesO3","type":"capability.switch","value":null},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":true,"name":"ignoreModesP","type":"enum","value":"[\\"4\\"]"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"timeType2.2","type":"enum","value":"Earlier of Two Times"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"timeType2.1","type":"enum","value":"Earlier of Two Times"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~2~5","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~2~6","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"2.2.Sat-Sun","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"addPres","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~2~3","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~2~4","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"atTime33.1","type":"time","value":"07:30"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"33.2.Tue-Sat-Sun","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"2.2.Tue-Sat-Sun","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"2.1.Mon-Wed-Thu-Fri","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"33.1.Mon-Wed-Thu-Fri","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"1.1.Mon-Wed-Thu-Fri","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"1.2.Tue-Sat-Sun","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"timeType33.3","type":"enum","value":"Single Time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"time33.3","type":"enum","value":"A specific time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"timeType1.3","type":"enum","value":"Single Time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"time1.3","type":"enum","value":"A specific time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"timeType2.3","type":"enum","value":"Earlier of Two Times"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"time2.3","type":"enum","value":"A specific time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"time2.31","type":"enum","value":"A specific time"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"time2.32","type":"enum","value":"Sunset"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"atTime2.31","type":"time","value":"18:00"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"atSunsetOffset2.32","type":"number","value":"-15"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":true,"name":"timeType4.3","type":"enum","value":"[]"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"1.2.Tue-Wed-Sat-Sun","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"33.1.Mon-Thu-Fri","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"2.2.Tue-Wed-Sat-Sun","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"2.1.Mon-Thu-Fri","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"33.2.Tue-Wed-Sat-Sun","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"1.1.Mon-Thu-Fri","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~3~1","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~3~0","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"33.3.Tue","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"2.2.Wed-Sat-Sun","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"33.2.Wed-Sat-Sun","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"1.2.Wed-Sat-Sun","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"1.3.Tue","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"2.3.Tue","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~3~5","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~3~4","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~3~3","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~3~2","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"days~3~6","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"33.3.Tue-Wed","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"2.3.Tue-Wed","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"1.3.Tue-Wed","type":"button","value":""},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"atTime33.3","type":"time","value":"06:30"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"atTime1.3","type":"time","value":"12:00"},{"deviceList":null,"multiple":false,"name":"startup","type":"bool","value":"true"}],"subscriptions":[{"handler":"setStartupMode","name":"systemStart","type":"LOCATION","typeId":1,"typeName":"The New House of The Ginger Cat (C8)","filter":"false"},{"handler":"switchHandler","name":"switch.on","type":"DEVICE","typeId":1,"typeName":"Day Switch","filter":"true"},{"handler":"switchHandlerO","name":"switch.off","type":"DEVICE","typeId":1,"typeName":"Day Switch","filter":"true"},{"handler":"returnHandler","name":"presence.present","type":"DEVICE","typeId":500,"typeName":"Life360 - Alice","filter":"true"},{"handler":"returnHandler","name":"presence.present","type":"DEVICE","typeId":501,"typeName":"Life360 - Amir","filter":"true"},{"handler":"returnHandler","name":"presence.present","type":"DEVICE","typeId":502,"typeName":"Life360 - Baruch","filter":"true"},{"handler":"returnHandler","name":"presence.present","type":"DEVICE","typeId":503,"typeName":"Life360 - Daniel","filter":"true"},{"handler":"modeHandler","name":"mode","type":"LOCATION","typeId":1,"typeName":"The New House of The Ginger Cat (C8)","filter":"false"}]}}}

The problem is the setting you have for Away in the Set Mode with Presence Sensors table. You're basically telling it to ignore Away mode. Instead, set up Away mode there to be All of those presence sensors Leave. For sure don't have the Skip box checked for Away.

It should be more like this below; note that it will not change mode to Away when the mode is Cleaning, and by the same token, it will not change the mode to anything else based on presence when the mode is Cleaning:

2 Likes

@bravenel I explained it in the original post – I need a condition that isn't supported in Mode Manager, so I switch to away in RM:

By the look of it, what I did should work:

I will try to remove the Skip checkbox and not select any sensors. I'll report back if that work.

The checkbox is the source of your problem.

I get it now, but the description is not clear about that. It looks like the "Skip" refers to setting the away mode, not to returning from it (as the "Presence To Return From Away" row don't have the "Skip" checkbox). Just in case you want to improve the UX of that table.