Auto Off Lights

I am having a heck of a time trying to get the auto off programmed on a light. I would like the light to be turned off automatically regardless if the light is physically or digitally turn on after 10 minutes. Would like it to cancel if the switch is physically or digitally turned off. This seems super trivial and I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Thanks

I'd recommend an app by @bptworld

This seems to only turn the device off given a certain time of day. Looking for turning it off after 10 minutes. The program has interest, but only 3 schedules limits it significantly for other projects.

I've also tried the auto off program and it's not turning the lights off. Hence the desire just to use rule machine.

No reason that rule wouldn't work but you can take off cancelable since you don't have a cancel if in there. If it isn't working there is something else at play like mesh issues. Also don't need physical in there since the second one covers both.

This isn't working. You suggest a rebuild of the network?? I switched to using the new C7 hub and seem to be having wacky issues with timer features.

Reboot your hub and I'll bet money it works with the changes I suggested.

When there are mesh issues the zwave radio becomes bogged down by sending a bunch of requests and responding to devices that aren't responding in a timely manner.

How would i add a cancelable feature to cancel the timer if the switch is turned off before the timer finishes. I've been looking at it and feel like it should be simple but with the selecting thing it seems to be much more difficult then I thought.

Makes sense.

how about clicking the Z-Wave firmware update on the C7. :stuck_out_tongue:

If the switch is off the rule doesn't care. They added logic to check if the switch is off already.

1 Like

I don't use RM4 for simple rules so I don't have an exact match for what you are doing but here is a rule using cancel logic.

This is the app I use for simple off's

Which app are you using for the timers? The one you showed seems to be based upon actual times like 12:00pm. I'm currently updating the z-wave firmware guessing that had some issue. Had no clue that I was supposed to do that. Figured the updates updated the zwave firmware as well.

Yea thats the one.

The rule I use there is for turning off my alarm when me or my wife get out of bed in the morning. I showed you that rule to show how to use the cancel logic not neccessarily the time between.

What type of device is "Porch"? I am guessing that it is not reporting its physical status updates back to the hub reliably. Especially if it is an old GE/Jasco Z-wave (non-plus) device.

It's actually an older GE plus. I have a new switch coming just in case that was the issue. I've installed the new zwave firmware and the above app. I'll see if it ends up working.

I think it would be worth taking some time and going through your devices in settings, zwave details and checking that all of the devices have something in the clusters column other than the first which is the hub radio. Also check that all have routing info in the last column. Z-wave plus devices can be identified by 0x5E in the first entry in the clusters column.

Ox25