Auto-Off for Lutron Switches

Motion Lighting and Basic Rules are two of the core, built-in apps for the Hubitat platform. Not exactly fair to characterize them as Easter eggs, IMHO.

1 Like

This function is not presented through the Lutron Integration Protocol. So from the perspective of the Hubitat hub looking at the Lutron system, your choices are on and off. That pretty much defines the device's capabilities.

Basically you're saying that it makes zero sense that devices have differences.

Devices are not all the same. There is a wide variety out there, and it doesn't make much sense to attempt to munge them all into a single device design. Especially if this has to be done in software, as opposed to functionality supported in the device itself. Drivers don't have extra software weight so that they are efficient. Loading them up with software features is not a good plan. That's what apps are for in the Hubitat Elevation architecture. On the other hand, we do make an effort to expose the device's native features. That's why there are hundreds of drivers instead of just a generic switch driver that covers every switch made.

2 Likes

:+1:

Yeah, currently, the built-in list of Easter Eggs stands at 35 apps.

3 Likes

You know, I live with it all day every day. So, yeah, I'm close to the inner workings. On the other hand, I live in a house automated with Hubitat for the past 4-1/2 years, and have to live with what it does, as does my wife. She is not techy, not close to the inner workings, and I definitely hear about it when something doesn't work right.

For example, if you automate a light with a motion sensor, and turn it off after a fixed period of time, one of two things will happen: Either the light will stay on for a very long time every time it's turned on, or your wife is going to give you an earful when it turns off when she was still in the room. A fixed time does not work for motion activated lights. They have to stay on until there is no motion at all for some time. Consider a woman putting on makeup in front of a mirror. She hardly moves, the motion sensor goes inactive, and I guarantee that if the lights turn off while she's doing that it's not a good day for guy who set up the automation. After all, if it were just a dumb light switch, she wouldn't turn it off until she was done.

There is not a one-size-fits-all anything when it comes to home automation. Choice is good. Your use case is not my use case, Etc. Etc.

Believe it or not, we actually know what we're doing, we all live with this in our daily lives, we spend all of our time thinking about it and improving it. There's always room for improvement, and we strive to do that. Does that mean everyone will agree with our design decisions? Of course not! Evidently... :sunglasses:

6 Likes

A fixed time does not work for motion activated lights (in rooms where people may remain beyond the fixed time). Hallways are a good example.

Can we be honest? She's not going to remember to turn it off when she's done. :wink:

And I prefer a woman with less makeup so that's why I need the light to turn off after a fixed duration - there's always a use case!

Yeah, I know. My wife has never seen a light she won't leave on. That's pretty much what got me into motion lighting in the first place. The rest was just learning what levels she likes and how long to wait after motion inactive so she's never left in the dark. Have it down now...

3 Likes