Aurora Smart Lighting Products

That seems opposite of what that attribute should actually do according to the spec:

" 'Disabled' means that the device does not send or respond to application level commands, other than commands to read or write attributes. "

i.e. it should only prevent them from operating digitally.

You should be able to set that from a driver in HE, something like:

def lockSocket() {
def cmds = zigbee.writeAttribute(0x0000, 0x0012, DataType.BOOLEAN, 0)
sendHubCommand(new hubitat.device.HubMultiAction(cmds, hubitat.device.Protocol.ZIGBEE))
}

def unLockSocket() {
def cmds = zigbee.writeAttribute(0x0000, 0x0012, DataType.BOOLEAN, 1)
sendHubCommand(new hubitat.device.HubMultiAction(cmds, hubitat.device.Protocol.ZIGBEE))
}
1 Like

Its quite possible it was the way you suggest :slight_smile: It was a while ago, and TBH I really cant remember. :wink:

In fact, nope. It appears in my mail to Mike at the time, this was the case.
"Physical only, you're still able to switch on/off digitally :+1:

It also looks like you can set the level of the light on the switch too, as standard. I know you set as a pref, but exposing this would also be great! Especially at night, so you could schedule the switch light to zero when dark. Is this possible? That said, I'm not having much joy trying to change the brightness via node red :expressionless:"

I don't have one of these to play with unfortunately, but I know on the rotary dimmer you could switch the light off around the knob as it was exposed via a separate endpoint, so it was just using standard on / off commands. I didn't check if it worked, but that endpoint also supported the level cluster to presumably you could set the level there too.

Is there a preference for the light level in the built in driver for the double socket? Can you set it via RM perhaps? I don't use RM so not sure if that's possible ....

Does anybody have the Aurora RGBW GU10 bulbs installed? I'm thinking about adding these to HE and I currently only have the Aurora double sockets on my zigbee mesh (about 60 of them now which are evenly located all over the house) and so does anybody think adding these bulbs into the mesh might cause issues? I am presuming these bulbs aren't repeaters?

The second option I have is adding these bulbs to my second hub which currently doesn't have any ZigBee devices on it.

Which option do people think would be the best?

I'd ideally start with about 10 of these bulbs but if they work well I might extend to every room (so about 45-50 bulbs)

Why do you think that?

I have 2 and they work fine, never had a issue with them other than they go around the houses to get to the same colour. I believe they are due a update but I don't have their hub to try.

They are ZigBee 3.0 so good to go. My preferred lamps though are innr or ajax online.

I have aurora, innr, osram (new) and have Ajax at my in-laws. They all work really well but the Ajax was one of the better prices and I found them brighter and dimmer on there lowest setting.

One good thing on innr though is i was able to "find and bind" them not all lamps support this but innr stated they did and I was able to.

What that means is BTW, is if you have a scene plate that supports it you can join them to the hub and to each other. This means commands are supper fast and dimming over loads of lamps is smooth and all at same time.
What's supposed to happen is the lamp goes to the state then updates the hub.
But that depends on the driver as it's "not supported by Hubitat" but it does "work" you just have to choose your options for now

Just from reading various other threads such as Not all bulbs are created equal

But are you saying that since these are ZigBee 3.0 they are good repeaters and I should have no issues with my mesh by adding them to my current ZigBee mesh (even if I add more devices to the mesh at a later date?)

Sorry for the basic questions but I've been burnt by rubbish repeating devices before so thought I'd double check!

Ok so that's connected to 2 things there is only one lamp range which are not repeaters that I know off, they are Sengled. I don't believe we can get them over here.

The issue is all other lamps are (that I know of) and in the past they had the profile ZigBee LL (LightLink). That protocol only handled lamps and basic setups so it seemed they they almost exclusively put very small buffers in the lamps.

Move on to home automation and that requires a lot more information and messages. This is where ZigBee HA (HomeAutomation) came in and is the profile that Hubitat uses.
People stop at lamps inside their mesh networks and noticed stuff not working every now and then. While I was with Samsung smarthings due to the constant drop outs I would put it down to a glitch.
However once I moved to HE and it was so much faster but would miss a button event here and there that's when it was investigated more.

This is when Mike found out about the buffer overflow. Now it's not as simple as saying all LL lamps will cause a issue because some are better quality than others but as a whole it's a good rule of thumb.
Then came along ZigBee 3.0 which is a amalgamation of both those standards and new ones. Due to this they all so far seem to have better programming in them to handle the bigger mesh networks and traffic.

ZigBee 3.0 is designed to fall back to the relevant profile so in this case home automation profile.

The best case is the only ever buy zigbee 3.0 products that way when HE moves on and updates their products your products will take advantage of the new features in 3.0.

Great, thanks @BorrisTheCat! Great overview and you've put my mind at ease about buying these bulbs!

Given how ZigBee has evolved (and especially with ZigBee 3.0) do you think the below needs updating......

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Zigbee_Mesh

Says.......

"Avoid adding Zigbee lightbulbs to your hub in combination with other Zigbee devices, since the lightbulbs will try to act as routers, but unfortunately they only perform this role properly with other lightbulbs. The exception we have found are Sengled Zigbee lightbulbs, which do not try to take on the role of repeating other Zigbee devices. Zigbee light bulbs do not have issues routing among themselves, therefore a good alternative is a separate Zigbee network via a compatible bridge such as the Philips Hub Bridge, or a second Hubitat Elevation hub with only Zigbee lightbulbs paired to it. This will avoid this issue of bulbs attempting, and subsequently failing to repeat signals for other devices, by establishing two separate and stable Zigbee networks"

1 Like

They probably won't until they move to ZigBee 3.0. until then they probably don't know exactly how things will react.

Just an update on my Aurora devices as I seem to have a problem where devices are becoming unresponsive pretty regularly. I knew this was a problem previously but never investigated too much but as I was adding more devices to my ZigBee mesh I thought I'd do a bit more work on this.

In summary I have 70 of the Aurora double sockets in my house - all pretty close to each other so I never thought they'd be a problem with the mesh but that was what @mike.maxwell thought the problem was. I went around the house on Sunday and about 15 of them were unresponsive so I added them back. I also added 29 Aurora RGBW GU10's to my mesh over the last couple of weeks, and one Osram Smart+ bulb. I am guessing the mesh is still healing so I haven't added any new automations on the bulbs yet.

Now that I've added bulbs I thought my mesh would be even stronger as devices will all be so close to other repeaters.

But tonight I noticed (by chance) two of the Aurora double sockets (which are less than 1 metre from another socket) were unresponsive again. Strange thing was I'd turned the light indicator level to Off on these devices and this setting had remained - but the sockets were totally unresponsive and so I had to add them back again.

Has anybody got any ideas about what my next steps to solving this 'unresponsice devices' issue should be?

I have set this on my one.

Did you ever get the update for them? I assume the gu10s are newer than mine so are updated. Not sure if @mike.maxwell ever got the firmware from them. I gave up asking them in the end.

No, I never saw an option to update them in HE and remember you suggesting to get in touch with Aurora (to get one of their hubs) but didn't get a chance to do that.

Just checking some of my sockets and although I bought them all at a similar time they do seem to have different firmware so could that be the issue? Just did a spot check and I seem to have two different firmwares on the sockets.....

• firmwareMT: 121C-1409-00000012
  • firmwareMT: 121C-1409-00000014

Whilst most of the bulbs have

• firmwareMT: 1168-1122-11246230

@mike.maxwell - any advice on if this could be the issue?

sure, firmware differences could be the issue, i mean why else would there be different versions in the first place?
If they send us the image files for their devices we can host them so HE users can update.

Ok cheers Mike. I've emailed them to request these files and cc'd in the HE support email address (let me know if you prefer a different email address to be included in the email chain).

Heres hoping they can turn this around fairly quickly :crossed_fingers:t4:

1 Like

Hi @mike.maxwell ,
Aurora just sent me the image files and I've forwarded these onto the HE support email address
Let me know if you need anything else in order to make the firmware updates available through HE.
Thanks so much for helping me out!

1 Like

I've added the ones I could, several are encrypted so we can't use them.
The images available in 2.3.0 will be for the double socket, the wired rotary dimmer and several led strips.
I wasn't given part numbers for the strips, so i don't know which ones they are exactly.

1 Like

Amazing news - thanks for the quick turnaround @mike.maxwell ! I'll be eagerly waiting for that version to be released!

Savage why are some like that? I thought all ZigBee update files were encrypted so IP was not a issue?

Great can try this then.

My other stuff though is the RGBW GU10 lamps I'm assuming that's one of the encrypted ones?.

@sandhufamilia are the files obviously different? Could they have sent you some wrong ones?

They aren't.