August Smart Lock Pro (3rd Gen w/ WiFi Bridge

Hi Everyone! I am new to the community as well as smart home automation so please bear with me :slight_smile: I have search a lot regarding the august lock but can't seem to find a forum or answer that is clear or that I can get to work.

Since z-wave products can only be connected to one hub, do I need to remove the wifi connect bridge that is paired with google to be able to discover it on Hubitat? Does anyone have direct experience pairing this model of august lock that can help walk me through it?

To my knowledge and my experience with the August Pro Smart Lock, not sure which gen, but the WiFi bridge is not z-wave, and you can do both simultaneously. Now pairing the August Pro at all with Z-Wave is a whole other issue as it seems to be the most temperamental z-wave lock on the market.

You can pair the WiFi bridge using the August app, and then put the hub in Z-Wave inclusion mode and then follow the Z-Wave inclusion in the August app.

Oh boy! Sounds fun! LOL I wish someone would make a youtube video or set by step instructions.

The process is not complex, it is the dice roll of if it is actually detected by hubitat, which is usually out of your control. Best recommendation would be pairing in place, but if you have no luck with that, pair it right next the hub, then move it to its final location, then do z-wave repairs and hope for the best.

1 Like

BTW, have you successfully paired the WiFi bridge?

Z-Wave pairing process:

1. Open the August app
  2. Tap the gear icon to get to the settings page
  3. Tap your lock to get to the lock settings page
  4. Scroll down to the Platform sections where it says Z-Wave settings
  5. Tap Z-Wave settings and follow instructions
  6. When it says to put the Hub in inclusion mode, go to the devices page on Hubitat
  7. At the top click Discover Devices, then go the the Z-Wave section and start inclusion, and cross your fingers
1 Like

Awesome, thank you so much! How long should it take to discover so I know if it was successful or not? I will give this a shot tonight and report back if I was able to get it to work.

The inclusion window for hubitat is only 60 seconds and I think on the August side it is 20-30 seconds, but I would give it a couple of attempts before moving closer to the hub

Got it! if I need to move the hub closer, should I be able to remove the lock device and move the lock closer to the hub?

Yeah the lock, assuming it's a similar attachment to mine, is a quick attach, so you could take it off the door, bring it over, pair it, then reattach it to the door.

Beautiful, that makes life so much easier lol

Now assuming I am able to get it to pair, should I delete all my rules from the august app and transfer them over or leave them?

Does not really matter, what rules do you have in the app anyway? It really depends on why you are connecting the lock to hubitat.

location home and away rules (range is kinda iffy so wondering if hubitat home and away location would be better) and also lock after x minutes etc. I want to connect to hubitat to make rules that are triggered by open/close and lock/unlock tied to lights and overall bedtime routine etc

What worked for me is the following

1. Run the August app on one device(phone), run hubitat inclusion mode on another(iPad or computer).
  2. Bring august lock close to hubitat hub (even with good Seaver mesh network, inclusion still requires the device to be close to the hub)

I’m thinking of getting the August Gen 3 with Z Wave Plus. How close do you typically need to be? My C7 is about 16’ from my front door.

16’ should be fine. During setup the hub needs to be close to lock. Once it’s setup, you can move the hub further away if you have a good mesh network ( a lot of hardwired zwave devices in between)

I’m sorry I didn’t make my question clear enough. How close does the hub have to be to the lock during set up? From your answer it seems like 16 feet may be too far away for that initial step.

I had to be directly next to my hub for it to pick it up and in my experience even after pairing and then moving to the location with multiple Z-Wave repeaters and multiple repairs, I still have not got reliable results with my August. It seems to work one minute then fall off the network the next. I have started using the cloud based driver which works a lot more reliably, but needs a connect obviously, to hold me over until I find a replacement lock.

I misunderstood, during setup it needs to be really close. 16’ is fine after setup.

The lock is power by battery so it’s portable. You could bring the lock next to the hub during setup.

1 Like

Thanks for the fast reply. I think I have a long RJ45 (LAN) cord anyways, but that is always good to know. I keep seeing how the August lock is #1 on so many reviewers, but I'm also seeing post after post about the problems it has with Hubitat. Wish UltraLoq or Lockly, which both have fingerprint readers, made a Z Wave+ version.