August Locks

Glad the app/driver works for you - I should update the thread as I'd consider it at least Beta at this point. I'd have a hard time ever calling it more than Beta without an official August API... As they say write your representative (in this case August I guess :slight_smile: ).

2 Likes

hello,
I've August smart lock 4th gen, I couldn't connect it with hubitat, stuck with the two factor Auth code! I couldn't find it any where, Even Mr google didn't help!

thanks in advance

Is that 3rd Gen or 4th?

It was an August Lock Pro (Gen 3). To my knowledge, the Pro model is the only Z-wave lock August makes, and it is only a Gen 3 device. Gen 4 is not a Pro model (no Z-wave). It is a native WiFi lock. The Pro requires the August Connect module to be accessed over WiFi.

Thanks you for your fast respond, I appreciate it.

so that means there is no support yet for the 4th Gen! I guess.

Update: I got it connected.

The 2FA is a bit annoying to say the least... When using email it must match the e-mail associated with your account same with the phone. If using phone make sure you input it as +1(xyz)abc-defg. Without the +1 it sigligntly fails or if there are any spaces etc...

Thanks Mr Taylor!! I selected phone No. Login option and it worked!
the confusion was (where to get the Two Factor Auth Code) since august doesn't use it. I used the "August Verification code" that has been sent to my registered Phone No.

Thank you again Guys! So clever you are!
I got it connected to hubitat, there's huge delay to Locking/unlocking and to show the sensor status.

Hi @taylor thank you for creating this. I recently change my August Lock (Original) + Connect with a new Yale Assure Lock (one with the Connect and Apple Homekit support). With the original setup I was able to put in my phone number and password .... put in the 2FA number and it would discover my lock. However, now I am stuck in a loop. I put in my phone number +1xxxxxxxxx and password...August sends a 2FA code. I type that in and hit verify. Nothing happens. I hit it again and the 2FA number disappears. I hit done and then discover and nothing is found. I turned on debug logging and it says it fails to authorize. Curious if August changed something or I am doing something wrong. Thanks again for the great work!

Status reporting incorrectly.
Greetings all. I have just installed an August 3rd gen and was not having any luck pairing the z-wave to HE. Success was finally achieved after installing the "August Home" app created by you wonderful people. It connects the HE, lock and Alexa and works well, except for reporting status. It always thinks it is "unlocked". When locking there is a brief flash "Locked" but instantly reports as "unlocked". Is there a trick, step or something I'm missing? Thank you.

@marc.connors @taylor did you all figure this out? I have the same problem. Login and verified 2FA but devices weren't discovered.

Good morning. I did get the 3rd Gen Z-wave August lock to pair with HE. I had it close to the hub, 6-8 feet just in the same room. I excluded and included several times until it worked. It seemed to help once I used the August software on my iPhone. I initially tried without as I wanted the least amount of steps, devices or layers as possible. I think going through the August platform was essential. It links directly with HE now, but it seemed necessary during setup.
I wondered about it reporting however over the past several days that seems to have improved. I have since added a Schlage Z-wave and it is less responsive than the August. The August reports correctly, locks and unlocks when requested even via Alexa routines. The Schlage sometimes does and sometimes it takes two or three requests before it responds. I will be adding another 3rd gen August Z-wave lock.
I hope this is helpful and I did not misinterpret your question.

Same boat here. I checked the logs but I am getting a "connectToAugust failed -- status code: 401, reason phrase: Unauthorized: [code:InvalidCredentials, message:unverified access token]" error.

Stuck looking for two factor authorization code. I've tried both email and phone number and do not receive a code.

I am wondering if HomeKit can successfully bridge this issue connecting August WiFi, HomeKit and HE.
Currently I have HE triggering routines in Alexa to lock/unlock August WiFi. Most times it works, sometimes it seems the command needs to be repeated before it works.
I am hopeful Apple HomeKit will be more reliable/stable.

I was given a smartlock pro, keypad, and bridge. Got it all set up but didn't try adding to hubitat yet. Came across this thread, now I'm thinking it's a non-starter?

I know the lock is zwave and can pair directly, but I'm planning on using it in my garage which is too far for zwave range.

To offer my humble opinion, if asked, I suggest, you could add this to your HE. either Z-wave if within range, or with the bridge via WiFi. I did not have success with either method as it would not stay connected or proved unreliable. HOWEVER, there are several here that have had great success. It is difficult to pin down why the different experience. It is worth a trial. Great lock if it's stable with your configuration. My final solution has been with a WiFi lock integrating Alexa and HE.
I am going to try and hope for better results with HomeKit and HE. Looks promising.
Give your system a try, smarter people than I can offer you tips along the way.
Good luck my friend.

1 Like

I have actually had really good luck with my August locks connecting through the August Home app (sorry don’t remember the author of it). I do have it also connected via Z-wave but that is much less reliable. The main issue I have that is causing me to look for a replacement is the one I use the most eats batteries. I end up replacing them every 3-4 weeks.I am sure some of that is how I have it setup and it is the main door we use but still pretty short.

For what it's worth, I dumped my August locks about 6 months ago and got Zigbee ones. Batteries last for a very long time - I'm still on the originals. No cloud, no silly account crap. They just work.

1 Like

Which ones did you go with?

Danalock V3 Zigbee. My requirements were Zigbee, no keypad, unable to tell it's a smart lock from outside, as you still have the keyway.