August Lock Struggles

Mine has been working great! I haven't had any z-wave disconnects in the eight months since the firmware downgrade. I am surprised to read you had issues with battery drain after the downgrade. I purchased the lock in June and by the end of July my batteries were reporting ~50%. I changed the batteries after the downgrade, and now they are reporting 91% . I'm pleased with a 9% drop over eight months. Firmware 1.8.15-1.59.0

Excellent! Thanks for the update and the firmware. Yeah, for my battery issue, something happened with the lock itself. I was on the phone with August and they tried a few things, but realized it was just the lock that died, nothing to do with firmware versions like I orignially thought. It was still in warranty, so they sent me a new one. I will request to downgrade now. Looking forward to getting this back online with HE.

1 Like

Ok so I am having all of the same problems with the lock... for fun I switched to the generics Zwave driver and for the first time in weeks the lock just worked without having to wake it up... flipped back to the august driver and thatā€™s working again ?????

Going to leave it using the August driver and see if it stops responding again then flip to the generic and see what happens ....

Have a repeater, have result the Zwave network a few times , have unpaired and paired have even praised a little... this is the first time I have gotten it to work without waking it up !

Itā€™s really odd behavior

Worked and then it stopped again ... just like everyone else

Yep like every one else ... downgrading the locks firmware fluxes the problem ... August suggested moving to Smartthings and the cloud interface if problems persist

I have finally moved over my August Pro 3 Lock from SmartThings to Hubitat. Yes, it was one of the last items to move over. I was dreading it as well. I struggled with this on SmartThings too, with a combination of hub updates and August lock firmware updates. At first everything was fine and then an update broke everything. SmartThings fix (workaround) was to downgrade the firmware on the August Lock. This had worked until I had moved this device to Hubitat. Once I did that, I was back to square one. I have been working with August (and attempted to work with Hubitat with no response) to address this issue. August moved my firmware to the latest build. It didnā€™t exactly ā€œfixā€ the issue, but the lock responded more frequently. One of the issues I was seeing was the lock (of Hub z-wave) wouldnā€™t always report the status of the lock. Example issued command (Lock or unlock) but the confirmation that it was completed never came back thinking it was still in the last state. Or if the lock was physically unlocked (for example) it wouldnā€™t get the report back either and it would lose communication to z-wave. Iā€™m still testing but with latest build issue by August (may require calling in) and the latest build of Hubitat https://community.hubitat.com/t/release-2-2-1-available/ MAY have addressed the lock responsive issue. So far, in my limited testing this has been promising.

@jsarcone How is your testing going? If everything seems good can you share the firmware version on the August Pro? I also had to downgrade the firmware to get it to work a bit more reliable. Thanks for any information you can share.

@dj13990 I'm still testing. August made additional adjustments that made things worse. I'm noticing the following: The newer versions/adjusted firmware that the lock is response just not updating the status. For example, let's say the lock is Unlocked. If you physical lock it. However, the in Hubitat never the notification from the device that it is now lock. If you know that it is now locked you can unlock it; it will respond. However, if you are in your dashboard and the device is reporting wrong the you cannot clear/change that state. This it is looking like it is still not responding. In order to correct that you will need to go to the list of devices and refresh that device then it will show correctly in dashboard. Let me know if that makes sense.

1 Like

The dropped firmware only works for so long even if you down upgrade. I can confirm that neither old or new work any better with a fully updated Hubitat. Iā€™ve had issues with both sets in the past two days. Mine are atrocious. I had a door sense fail but had an spare sensor set from where I upgraded a non Z-Wave one. That didnā€™t fix it. August support was absolutely worthless. Bogging me down with pic request when it failed in place overnight. It was all how can we annoy you enough to drop it. Now Iā€™ve had a second door sense fail. I even have to run connects even though I do t want them on the cloud because it helps Z-Wave HomeKit stability. I think they massive under specā€™d the control processor.

Iā€™m about to do window sensors and I think Iā€™m just going to do the doors too. I donā€™t trust the other to not fail and it feels like August is go through the motions while pitching their new lock as the cure. That is cloud only so itā€™s a completely non starter even if I didnā€™t feel they were being exceptionally disingenuous for a sale. Anyone moved from August and been happy?

Have been rolling with the august downgrade for months now and its rock solid never fails ... only thing i added post firmware downgrade was a repeater... IMO August has no intention of maintaining support and it is well worth choosing an alternate approach ...

2 Likes

I will echo what @okellyro says. No problems since the firmware downgrade 11 months ago. I even deleted the August app from our phones so there is no possibility they get screwed-up again.

1 Like

@okellyro, @bjcowles: My firmware had been downgraded once but I'm having problems and I'm not sure if a firmware update snuck in. What firmware version are you running on your lock?

Mine are at 1.8.15-1.59.0

2 Likes

I was on that but now I'm on 1.8.4-1.59.0. I'm still working through this. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Yea have to be on the lower firmware... and have august put you on the exclusion list for updatesā€‹:sun_behind_small_cloud::sun_behind_small_cloud: which is tampa Fox but a workaround...

So, August is no longer doing firmware downgrades (I just installed 4 of these and asked to have mine downgraded and got this reply):

So, now what do we do? I can't make my lock work with Hubitat at all.

That completely sucks. And I feel badly for you. If I were in that position, I would sell the August locks on eBay, and replace them with z-wave/zigbee locks that work with Hubitat.

Iā€™ve already given up on them.

But it did say it supported zwave on the box and since they force updates one could argue they intentionally broke the lock (to force new sales). If you want to find a large group of people and get someone to designate them as a class, Iā€™d join. This kind of stunt they are pulling should never be rewarded with sales, but rather bankruptcy. How can you possibly trust one of their products again.

As the saying goes I wouldnā€™t ask my son to piss on them if they were on fire.

1 Like

I just got off the phone with them and he did confirm that Hubitat was not on the list of compatible hubs so it would not work. He said he would escalate so that a future update could make them compatible, but obviously there's no guarantee that'll ever happen. What a load of crap.

I guess I could leave my SmartThings hub up and running and use that as the intermediary but I hate doing that. I'm trying to get off of ST, not continue dependence on it.

And of course, the guy emails me this link which clearly states "ALL" commercial Z-Wave home automation hubs.

https://support.august.com/z-wave-compatibility-HJlwIJRdz

Just as an update to anyone that happens across my previous post: I threw an email back to them and pressured them to allow me to downgrade (as I've seen evidence on these forums that it's been allowed in the last few weeks) and they gave in and will allow it.

They threw in this caveat that I thought I'd ask about. Anyone having trouble with the DoorSense on the lower firmware? Or any features not working properly?

We can downgrade the firmware on your locks but would like to advise you that the downgrade will affect the functionality of other August app features. We have had reports from users that the DoorSense is impacted by the downgrade. Please advise if you would like us to proceed with the firmware downgrade and the serial number for the locks you would like us to push the firmware to.