August Lock Struggles

The purpose of the Z-Wave repair is so the repeating devices know what end devices are near them essentially. It’s kind of like updating the map of the Z-Wave mesh. So the lock needs to be near the repeater intended for it in order for the repair to be effective.

Have you tried swapping the repeater closest to the lock for another one to see if that improves the situation?

I have 5 zwave plus repeaters as well within 5 feet from a lock, had the same issues you had until I added 3 range extenders

1 Like

One helps, but it does not and will not fix the issue, 2 worked much better but still had occasional drop offs, now with 3 both trouble locks haven't dropped off or missed a poll/refresh in 5 days since adding it. These are not just "repeaters" .....they are also signal amplifiers.

1 Like

One interesting thing I noticed. If I use the August bluetooth app to either unlock or lock the troubled August lock, the habitat dashboard will work flawlessly for the next several minutes.
It's almost as if the lock is going to sleep and the August app wakes it up.

That is what the issue (IMO) is entirely with these zwave locks and hubitat. Is the Zwave signal coming out of the Hubitat Hub is not "consistantly" strong enough to "wake up" the lock. Sometime this week when my #4 repeater gets added (ordered before #3 was added and fixed the issue) I will be testing this theory in depth by trying to pair AND configure these locks "in place'" with the repeaters added. This was in no way possible before, as I tried for an entire day already.

What I've found like you that you can power cycle the lock itself and usually it will work fine for about 5 minutes then drops off......so I believe normal"repeaters" is just repeating the already weak signal and it isn't enough to wake the locks up, But with these extenders amplifying the signal it does the trick.

I should know the results in a week or so.

1 Like

I had the same perspective, until I learned that the range extenders also amplify the z-wave signal. Adding 3 range extenders has made both my Schlage locks (BE469, FE599) super reliable, by the following criteria:

• They haven't dropped off the z-wave network.
  • Refreshes by Reliable Locks absolutely do not fail.
  • Adding/deleting lock codes works reliably every single time. I can run RM automations based on lock codes
  • I could unpair/re-pair the FE599 without moving the hub to be close to it. That never worked before.
1 Like

Yes, but I think it depends on your definition of "adequate. I have a 1300 sq foot house, all one level, I have one repeater in the kitchen which works wonderfully, and the lock is 30 feet away from that plug. Still doesn't work. Also, my repair claims to only take a minute or two as I only have this plug and 2 August locks on the Z Wave plus network.

Bottom line... Dumping money, time and wasting outlets on all these repeaters is just silly. It's a kludge and a Band-Aid at best.
honestly the team should remove support for this lock or work on the driver. This isn't a beta, this isn't some private club, people paid money for this hub. It's a commercial product. Not trying to sound harsh, I appreciate everything that the team has done. it's a wonderful hub, but it just doesn't work properly with August locks.

Because this one product isn’t compatible with the repeater you own, Hubitat is responsible? These band-aids as you call them existed long before Hubitat did. It’s not like they make and sell the repeaters or have a deal with one of the manufacturers to sell more repeaters.

Not everyone needs a repeater, or one that is compatible with an August lock. You need a different repeater by the sound of the situation. Repeaters exist because there’s a need, not because Hubitat is inferior, or the work that has been done to support this lock is faulty.

2 Likes

The real bottom line is that Z-Wave and Zigbee mesh standards are not too robust - add a repeater, run a repair, pull the battery, re-pair the device, blah, blah, blah. All hub companies have to deal with the issues and try to mitigate them. Will Z-Wave 700 series make a difference? Will Thread take over? Who knows? This is still the Wild West era of HA.

2 Likes

Where did I compare this to, or even mention, wink??

The issue has nothing to do with extenders. I moved the hub within 3 feet of the lock and still have the same issues.

Ever think that just maybe .......the lock itself is defective?

1 Like

Honestly don’t know. It was early, I was tired and probably transposed some other post in yours. That is why I went back and edited my post removing anything about Wink. Well before I saw your most recent post.

This is the first mention of you trying to operate the lock very near the hub and it still not working. So how do you know the lock is not defective to @waynespringer79 ‘s point?

1 Like

If it doesn't work 3 feet from the Hub, there is a high likelihood of this. I haven't heard of anyone else with issues with the lock right next to the hub, it's when it's farther out regardless if repeating devices are close by.

I have 3 zwave locks 2 have been problem childs (until adding aeotec range extender 6's), but the one that is about 5 feet from the hub has never had a single issue.

1 Like

I've tested with the Bluetooth app and another zwave controller and it works fine so I am skeptical there is a hardware fault with the lock...

No problems with my August Lock and it's a good 25 feet from the closest hub and no repeater around. I even have a rule that locks the front door 10 minutes after I close it and it works every time.

I've had a similar experience, but even with extender now, I'm having the same problem. Also, August sent me a new lock, and it's doing the same thing. The one close, hasn't ever had a problem. When I put Hubitat right next to it, it works, extenders all work. Z Wave repair and wait a day hasn't helped.

a

I thought I had a Z Wave radio problem. August sent me a new lock. Same problem.

A

I'm curious. Which other z-wave controller?

Smart things.