At&ts outage reason?

Don’t need one. The CIA beams info directly into my brain thanks to 5G (and Covid vaccines).

6 Likes

Someone should report you, but it won't be me, lol.

My reply wasn't to you.

As I said in my original post, Spectrum (land line broad band) was up, ATT, mobile and only phone, down. WiFi calling would've been nice, but no, I have no other voip technology. As I said, I gave up my landline in an economy measure.

The usual scenario for me is power goes out, I lose Spectrum, but ATT cellular will work for a couple days anyway.

the cheapest callcentric account i use for our cottage is 1.95 a month for 120 minutes.. the phone adapter on amazon to use it is about 40 bucks.. so still some cost involved. but i use them in 3 locations and they are reasonable

1 Like

Interesting.
But, as I said, for me, cell has been more reliable than landline broadband because it doesn't go down in a power outage.

Cell used to be less reliable here, but that was when Sprint was involved. I had the land line then too.

I guess it's about personal contingency planning.
I made some changes as a result of lessons learned from the last power outage.
Perhaps I will do something here too-I don't know.
Chances are, though, nothing will work as planned when the SHTF, lol.

1 Like

My wife and i used to have different cell carriers on purpose, which was pretty useful back when coverage was more spotty than today...

Now we both use... AT&T... lol. oops.

4 Likes

Just about everything in the news is bizarro world, so you just reverse what they say and you get the truth. So it probably was a cyberattack.

3 Likes

That is why I am an amateur radio operator. If cell phones go out, I can still get a message out. The National Traffic System operated by Amateur Radio volunteers can relay messages when things like this happen. This is just an FYI of good to know information. Get to know your local Hams. You never know when you might need them.

7 Likes

Didn't ATT recently roll out a much ballyhooed 'hardened' system for first responders, etc?
I wonder how that fared?

1 Like

Not too well in some areas. There were reports of some FirstNet users getting visits from police after 911 dispatchers received calls from their phones that they didn't make.

2 Likes

FirstNet in my area was off grid also.

3 Likes

"An initial review by the company found the disruption was caused by the "application and execution of an incorrect process used as we were expanding our network," or, more simply put, a technical error."

Reminiscent of home automation, lol.

4 Likes

LOL I was thinking the same.

In this case it was likely a software prompt akin to "WARNING: Continuing will cause interruption of service. Continue?", and they just clicked next without reading it as it was prompt 5 of 16. :wink:

3 Likes

I've been meaning to do this for years, just can't get my motivation up to study and take the test.

I should think the recent outage would help provide incentive. Two things you can do:

1. Get the ARRL Technician Study Manual and read it. That gives you the knowledge you need.
    https://home.arrl.org/action/Store/Product-Details/productId/2003373064
    You can find it on other web sites also, but make sure you get the current version.

2. Go to this site and sign up. That way, you can stop and restart and it will keep track of what you have studied. It will also bring up the questions you miss more frequently. It is the test preparation site I used for my license study. It isn't a substitute for the book, but it is helpful to prepare for the test.
    https://hamstudy.org/
    Plus, it is free to use.

I look forward to some day having a conversation with you via radio.

73, (Ham for 'best regards' or equivalent)

Stephen

2 Likes