Assorted General Questions

Good morning.
I have an assortment of questions that i wanted to ask in hopes i can learn to better manage the system.

1st Dashboard.
Error 500. Dash Board V 1.0.10 Build 84
I frequently get an error 500 message when trying to control devices from the dashboard on my i phone. It usually happens when i open the dashboard and try and control a device. Once it crashes i have to completely close the app then re open...and most often works then.
I don't routinely keep a log window open so i haven't been able to capture anything in the logs to help diagnose. I did look at the debug log on the app itself and the only things that are being logged is LS-Off and SCL-Fail Backup GeoFence Ev....cant see the rest but i do not have GeoFence enabled.
Anything come to mind on what might be causing this? or what diagnostics i can run to identify what is acting up?

Update....as i was typing the rest of this message the dashboard pooched...i did have a log running on my computer and there were no entries that i could find of the error 500.

2nd Dashboard.
As i sit in my home, or in the yard, and try to open the dashboard, every couple of seconds i get a message " switching to local" then " switching to cloud"
Clearly i have to use the cloud when off the network and the flipping back and forth is kind of annoying?
Is there any way to lock this to the cloud?
Really affecting the WAF on functionality.

1. Log debugging.

Warn. I have several devices that i either have unplugged or are powered off frequently. As an example, when i press a few of the warn errors I'm brought to a Fabric speaker i dont always leave plugged in and another takes me to a Sonos system i recently unplugged. I do still use these devices ( though infrequently ).
q. Other than filling up the log with warn errors, does having devices drop off cause any problems with the system?
q. Is there any way to disable a device without deleting it? (much like the use on a rule" where the system isn't polling for it or looking for a response)

Debug.
interesting enough, i noticed that my garage door lock was showing unlocked on the dashboard, when i had just gone through the door and manually locked it. When i tried to send a lock or unlock command, it didn't do anything. Then i notice on a log that there is a debug flag.

dev:13132020-08-13 07:55:42.232 am debugalarmv2.AlarmReport: AlarmReport(alarmLevel:0, alarmType:18, eventParameter:[], numberOfEventParameters:0, zensorNetSourceNodeId:0,

q. I'm assuming all of these parameters mean something...but if my lock isn't responding to open close commands...does that mean its offline?

Error.
This error is referencing a motion lighting rule i have where if either motion sensor in my garage detects motion the lights come on for 10 mins. I have absolutely no idea why this might be flagged as an error

app:8042020-08-13 07:50:03.742 am errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object on line 1309 (turnOff)

Anyway - the system works, the dashboard crashing is annoying and if i could figure out how to solve that i'd be happy and in general just learning more about the logs would be beneficial.

Cheers
Mac

To make sure you create and always use a cloud dash turn your wifi off and do this.

Open the app, and clicking full screen button

Then click your dash to open it in Chrome (or default browser), click the 3 dots and then "Add to Home Screen" or "Add to Home Screen opinion in Safari". Doing this will remove the URL header, and the Hubitat footer, to give you a much cleaner looking dash.

To top it off I added this code (gear > Advanced > CSS)

.dashboard div .header{position:fixed;bottom:-1em;right:1em;z-index:999;opacity:.2;zoom:.6;-moz-transform:scale(.6)}
.wrapper{height:100%;margin-top:0;padding-top:1em}
.dashBack,.dashName{display:none}
.dashboard div .header>.flex-auto.justify-end,.dashboard div .header>.flex-auto.justify-end>.flex{display:inline-block}

It removes the logo, dashboard name, and moves the entire top right section to bottom right making it 80% transparent (so you can use it, but it does not jump out at you)

1 Like

Thanks.
Just completed.
You know..there is an unintended benefit to this method.
I have multiple dashboards for various things but my wife only wants to see the few devices that she cares about...locks, thermostats..etc

When i followed the directions you suggested, the link now only brings me to the one dash that i was looking for her to access.

Thanks again
Mac

1 Like

No limit to the amount of dash shortcuts you can put on a home screen or in a "group" :wink:

If the devices are repeaters it will create problems but the ones you list are not. You can disable devices just like apps. I think you might have to click something to enable the option, but I'm not home now so I'll leave that to someone else who can answer better.

The 500 error Im not familiar with personally.

I really haven't tried to use the built in dashboards at all, but I have to tell you that the dashboard that you put up, looks very nice indeed. Not crowded, very understandable. Well done!

1 Like

I'm just going to chime in here and say that you need to be careful of using the dashboards on the cloud and leaving them open. There are known issues with doing this. If your wifi signal does not reach a tablet, etc, then consider closing it after use.

thanks

@jtmpush18 thanks like @macdenewf my wife likes it simple. Thats dash is mostly for her call.

Do you know what the issue are and if they are still a problem? Does it matter if the dash is in the background? I have that dash on my phone most of the time, but in the background. Have not seen an issue but not sure what to look for either.

The web pulls from your hub every x number of seconds. As I understand it, leaving the web version wen you're local especially can task the hub into a state of odd behavior. My hub locked up one day and I found that I had unknowingly left the dash open on the local network using the cloud over night. There were no errors in the log and I coudn't figure it out. @bobbyD asked me about the dashboards and said that using cloud when you're local can cause an issue like that. I've not done it since and not had it happen. I just make a habit of closing when I'm not using. I am unsure if it is still a problem.

1 Like