[AS-IS] Insteon web socket driver

You might try a reinstall of the Insteon server

I have some notes that might help, but I’ll need to dig them up. They’re on the server that isn’t up and running yet. I’ve got a new TV to install, a BBQ to assemble, and a water heater that needs a replacement anode rod before I get to the smarthome stuff. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Is to correct that I cannot use this WS instance when using a Raspberry Pi connected to a 2413U (a PLM, not a hub)? I was able to get some connectivity operational, but was trying to get the WS up and am hitting a brick wall here.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Matt

Correct. Can you integrate your setup with Home Assistant? That provides another method to bring Insteon devices into Hubitat.

Thanks aaiyar !

I've not tried out HA as of yet, and am cautioning myself from adding more steps in the chain, unless I get to a place where I have no choice.

The only Insteon items I have are switches and dimmers, and truthfully if my whole house was not wired with these, I would just replace them with something else, but alas, too much $$ for that.

I was able to get HE to turn on/off my switches via the insteon-server node.js, BUT I can't seem to use the dimmers!! UUGH! (They always go to 100% now). Thats ALL I NEED at this point - dimmer control.

Instead of WS, I can just poll the PLM at some regular interval, only on devices I care about status.

I'll avoid more Insteon in the future, even if I like the RF+powerline bus conceptually.

Any ideas how to set the dimmers? I THOUGHT the express server could do this, but so far, no love.

I'd love to stick with the PLM -> Raspberry Pi Insteon Express Server -> HE integration. The Pi is also my future HE node-red server, so its a clear win :slight_smile:

Make sure you have those set to dimmer in the config.json
Sounds to me like they're not. Sorry, it's difficult to go from memory alone. I'll have my server up in a week or two.

Thanks SmartHomePrimer! I'll continue my post on the "proper" thread as I'm using the "HTTP Insteon Switch/Dimmer" driver due to the lack of WS usability on PLM's (without "Hubs", which appears to be VERY confusing here!).

Old drivers and old users like me. Sorry for any confusion. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I feel this community driver will be much more used very soon. insteon servers are down for 24h now. phone number is no longer in service and community forum is down. no email from insteon to explain what's going on...

As fate would have it, I just happened to check the app just a few hours after people really started getting nervous and posting on reddit. I'm still using this integration, and for now it's fine. I actually just installed 8 Insteon devices in my new home, knowing that this day would likely come soon. Arrived sooner than I thought. Luckily, I had just finished configuring the devices as I needed two weeks ago. :relieved:

You can add devices to the hub through Home Assistant (and control actually), but this integration is much faster and more capable than the official Home Assistant driver (except that it cannot add devices to the hub). If you need to add devices now, you will need to use the Home Assistant integration to add them, or this MQTT integration. Insteon scenes are what will really bite me if I need to make a change. I could use the MQTT integration and figure it out, but I probably won't.

Before everyone started scooping them up, I bought an ISY 994i off ebay for $90 USD as cheap insurance. I already own a Lutron Smart Bridge Pro, and so I could just replace my dimmers with Caséta for around $600 CAD and the hassle of changing them, but I know what it's like to live with them. That's what I put into the house I sold. Not interested in doing that in my new home. We all really hated their lack of dim level memory.

So if I find that I need (or want) to make some Insteon scene changes (or my hub dies), I can setup the ISY and use it with HA. Pretty sure I'll be able to integrate that back to HE without too much trouble.

1 Like

Seems like a Wink move.

So much worse. Disgraceful exit.

3 Likes

Hello Pros,

You must have answered this multiple times already. I could not find a comprehensive answer in the blog. I am another one of those unfortunate Insteon users. I have collected over 25 light switches, sensors, and insteon plugs over the years. I am hoping to migrate all those devices to a new platform now that insteon is not coming back. I have gone through tons of pages over the past few days, and Hubitat seems to be the logical choice for migration. I need help with the following questions:

1. How easy or difficult is it to move all my Insteon devices to Hubitat? Is there a cheat sheet that I can use?
  2. Do I need additional add-on devices in addition to Hubitat hub?
  3. I have read about "Matter" protocol. Is Hubitat going to support that in the future?
  4. Any other thing(s) to consider before making the jump?

I appreciate your help.

Regards,
Krishna

You will not "move" Insteon devices to Hubitat, since you need the Insteon dual band radio technology to communicate with your Insteon devices. The best way connect your Insteon hub to Hubitat is to have the middle-man node.js server. That is what this thread is all about. You can run node.js on just about any computer/laptop, Raspberry Pi, Docker container, etc. Once you have that part done, you simply start the Insteonlocal application and then you start the client listener application. These need to run all the time. I have mine running on an old MacBook Pro laptop. They're not process intensive apps. It's very stable. I've been running it for years. Just always works. No fuss.

Again, explained in the first post. You will run a custom driver on Hubitat that will pull in your devices that are added to your Insteon hub, but you will need to fill in a configuration file on the node.js server manually. Only has to be done once, so it's not that big of a deal.

Couldn't tell you, but Matter doesn't even know when they themselves are going to be available. It's been push and pushed. I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually just flops like all the other attempts at a universal standard over the years, but none have ever actually launched. But if you know how to find the right devices and join them manually to a hub, matter in not going to "matter" to you. Man that was a stupid choice for a name. They actually thought that was a good idea. :rofl:

Hubitat Elevation is a really great local hub. I don't imagine you being disappointed with it. If you know anything about Universal Devices ISY or Polyglot, Hubitat is a similar local concept, far more powerful, easier to use and a significantly easier interface for creating automations.

One thing I will point out is that you cannot make configuration changes to your Insteon devices with this integration. So if you have 25 switches, you might want to explore the Home Assistant integration as well. It's not as good as this one for many reasons, but there is a community panel that you can use to configure devices settings like Ramp rate and default brightness. I actually run both systems and I was actually working on installing that panel to test is out myself when I saw your post. There's no reason one couldn't enable the Home Assistant Insteon integration, made any desired changes to your devices, and then disable it and go back to normal, controlling Insteon devices with Hubitat. That is my intention for the Home Assistant Insteon panel

2 Likes

It works! Looks like the only thing he doesn't have working properly yet is Ramp rate. Every time I tried to select the value from the drop-down, it would exit the input, not allowing me to press OK to enter the value. Not a big deal. I set ramp rate and then leave it. If I need to make that change, I'll do it from the switch for now. Great tool to have though.

1 Like

Thank you for developing this driver. Really saved my bacon. I was able to install this on a windows machine running node.js yesterday. It's very responsive and I have regained the ability to control my devices with Alexa. I ran into some minor port configuration and device config file issues but was able to get it going.

3 Likes

Anything that I might be able to address in the initial post? Chris won't be developing this any further (unless he wants to), but I'm happy to update the first post documenting its installation if anything is confusing.

1 Like

From my recollection, the first problem I had was simply getting the required dependencies ( home-controller, express and ws) installed properly under node.js for windows. I had to drop the "-g" parameter to get it to work for me. The sample config file in the github zip has an extra comma at the end of the device list and used lightbulb instead of dimmer as types. Both of these caused me problems. The listening port is 8080 in some files and 9595 in others which caused it not to work. Once I got the ports set correctly, I found that I could receive messages but not send commands. That error message in the hubitat log just said error with any cause. That problem ended up being that I mistyped the password in the hubitat app. Once I got it all straightened out it works great.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the feedback!

I forked Chris' and Scott's repos for the Insteon Server and Hubitat drivers, so that extra comma is now gone.

In regard to the need to change from lightbulb to dimmer in the config.json file, that is not one I have ever understood. I've received that comment many times, but I don't recall anyone ever giving a valid reason. Lightbulb and dimmer are treated the same. My config.json file only uses "lightbulb", regardless of whether or not the device is actually an Insteon lightbulb. I have 8 dimmers, 1 Insteon switch, 1 plug-in dimmer module, an on/off micro module and an IO, but only one Insteon lightbulb. Yet everything in my config.json file is set to "lightbulb". The really important thing is that you set dimmable to "yes" when it has that capability, and "no" when is doesn't have dimming capability.

I have updated the insteonserver.js file in my repo so that has 8080 for the websocket port as shown in the driver setup example.

So I'm one of the poor souls coming here to resurrect my zombie Insteon world. I'm happy for the kick in the pants to get this running on my existing Syno box so that I can move into proper Hubitat and retire my Insteon hardware as it dies over time. Anywhoo... I can't seem to get these install instructions to work and I'm by no means a Node pro. I wonder if I simply should not be following these because they're a touch out of date? That'd be cool, I'm just scratching my head trying to figure out where to go next.

FWIW Syno seems to rep Node v12.22.7

Well that's possible, but others have been able to get it working. Can you describe where you're stuck and I'll try to help? I'm running Node 16.14.2 right now, but I was previously running a much older version. Hasn't seemed to make a difference.