Arlo Camera Integration

Yes I was very disappointed with IFTTT integrations that I have tried. Not very many options and they are limited to sort of a one shot deal and not really multiple rules such as motion detected and it is dark out.

1 Like

Absolutely agree. The IFTTT lag really sucks at times...

1 Like

So much trouble,,,Well my integration is a recreation of a "Ring" doorbell with the hardware I have and just adding in the sensor to accomplish the same thing without the $200 US pricetag.
Although Arlo just came out with a doorbell button you can add to the system for $75 but my sensor is less and allows me to trigger in HE.

2 Likes

There's a few doorbell projects running around the forums right now that you could adapt to your needs easily (and inexpensively).

Doorbell yes, easy breezy but to add the video portion is the hiccup at the moment.
@corerootedxb Do you have Node Red on a PI?
I am curious of the ability to run Node Red with resource requirements. I am assuming the MQTT would be the data link between Node Red and HE?
Looking over the Node Red site, Someone already has an Arlo Node, so it would just be the handshake between Node Red and HE to pass the actions back and forth.

1 Like

LOL, I have 4 different instances of NodeRed running on 3 different Pis and 1 beefy homeserver. :smiley:

NodeRed is actually fairly lightweight in and of itself. The more you add, the heavier it becomes. One of my Pis has a NR instance, MQTT (Mosquito) instance and a MariaDB server on it and runs like a champ.

As for NodeRed to HE, I use the Maker API as a simple means of communication between the two. When NodeRed needs to flip a switch or turn on/off a bulb, I just shoot a HTTP GET request to the Maker API. For HE to NR, I use websockets OR a HTTP GET from HE to NR. Easy peasy.

You could go the MQTT route as well, however, that part is still in Alpha on HE. But, half a dozen of one. :wink:

Also, to give you an idea of what I'm using NodeRed for, check out my thread on it (although, @stephack has pretty much taken over as the master of knowledge there lol):

:rofl::joy:
That's the funniest thing I've heard all day....and that thread is doomed to burn to the ground if I am the de facto "master of knowledge" there.

1 Like

Oh reeeelllyyy??? Look at who has more replies there :wink: LMAO :wink:

1 Like

Blind leading the blind my friend. Quantity does NOT equal quality.

1 Like

@corerootedxb So LOL somehow I end up with the "smart people" in my threads. All hail to you and @stephack for joining my thread and providing some great info.
So the story of this goes, I was looking up Xlights (christmas lights to music) and I posted a few questions and I had most of the developers answering questions for me and I didn't know it until I got deeper into my project.

I did skim the long read. Yeah it looks like I will probably be ok with just one PI for Node Red since I am just getting started with it. Good thing Pis play nice and you can just add them on as needed....Yup my last 2 PI came from Target as well...:rofl:

1 Like

LOVE XLights... I've been running that for years along with using the following:

Agree to disagree... Your posts have saved me hours on that thread. I mean that in all seriousness.

You should be fine running NR/MQTT on a single Pi. You can also use a desktop PC if you have one lying around or one that is on 24x7 as well.

LOL @ Target. I've had people PM me asking me if I was making that part up.

Yeah funny how they have them stuffed on a bottom shelf with some "maker" stuff but nothing to go with them.

1 Like

My local Target surprisingly has the Google maker stuff there as well. I've never bought those kits (because Amazon), but it always surprises me that they have a dedicated "geek" aisle. LOL

Do you use a 32 GB card and a 1 TB external for your PI setup? For basic starting of Node Red, what do you suggest? I plan on using my P3+ (from Target LOL)

Ha ha,,,I see you use Node Red for everything....Pretty sweet!!!!

Yup. Sandisk Extreme 32gb card works fine. There IS a way to get a Pi to run off an SSD, but I've never had a need for it as anything that is "big" I run on my home server. Small things like this should run fine on a SD card. Even the 1TB isn't really needed for something like this.

I do! I even use it at work. :smiley: