Aqara Hubs

Hey members,

I want to clear up some questions that has not been answer in the community.

1. Can the Aqara hub run in "LOCAL Mode only," no internet after setup and integration with Hubitat ? (y/n)

• has it been done successfully ? (y/n)
    • if so please share or the link or post ( thank you in-advance)
  2. If internet is required do we know what ports to close to prevent data mining? (y/n)

• if so please share or the link or post

** The Goal is to have local service running at all time if possible with minimalistic approach in hardware (such as hubs, computers and Pi).

Thanks for answering the questions and keeping it simple for me and the newbies :smile:
Ps: I was unable to find any of the answers to the questions after a few hours looking though the posts... :smile:

1 Like

Can I also ask the team at HE is it feasible to develop an aqara integration similar to the Hue Bridge Integration. Aqara devices seems to be one of the most widely sought after devices which aren't completely compatible. It seems such a shame that their high quality well priced products are hit and miss on HE. @bravenel is this plausible or just a pipe dream for me and others?

1 Like

Are you asking this in regard to upcoming Matter support for the Aqara hub? If so, there's two things that may or may not be available yet.

1. The Matter update for the Aqara M2 hub has just started to roll out. Not sure if you are one of the receipents of the update.

2. Zigbee devices on the Aqara hub may not be available to use in Hubitat since it's a controller, and not a bridge. This is similar to Home Assistant, which like Hubitat also supports Matter, but in a controller roll, not as a Matter bridge. You cannot add Zigbee devices joined to Home Assistant to Hubitat via Matter and vice versa. I would think that the same goes for the Aqara M2, but I do not know that for a fact.

In regard to Aqara being local with the internet access blocked, this was always possible when using the devices in HomeKit, and it should still be possible. I don't have an Aqara M2 hub so I cannot confirm this, but if you do then it should be easy to test.

If you don't own either hub, then I would suggest you probably don't need the Aqara hub unless there are some very specific Aqara devices you purchased from China and want to integrate them with Hubitat. I bring my Aqara devices into Hubitat from Home Assistant, but several people have said their C8 hubs work very well with Aqara Zigbee devices.

3 Likes

Thank you I appreciate your feedback!
Once I have chance to figure this out I will share the results so everyone can benefit from this information.