Aqara Device Questions

I have been toying around a bit with Aqara devices paired via a G3 Camera/Hub. I know the G3 is a Zigbee hub (and paired to HE via Matter), but do the Aqara devices like the P1 motion sensor use the Aqara cloud or are they local?

I have several of the P1 sensors but I have them directly paired to Hubitat via ZigBee. In this cases they are local. I have no Aqara cloud account of any kind.

1 Like

Hummm, they work ok paired direct? i was under the impression they had to be paired though an Aqara hub.

Aqara zigbee devices can pair directly, but many are known to cause mesh issues unless one takes care only to use repeater devices they’re known to play well with.

One way to get around that is to keep them paired to their native hub, which uses whatever non-standard Zigbee implementation Aqara insists on using. And then getting the Aqara hub integrated with Hubitat somehow.

1 Like

I personally don't have any issues, but almost all of my ZigBee devices are other Aqara devices or IKEA repeaters which they're known to play well with. Also I have an older C-5 hub, so your mileage may vary depending on other devices or hub model, etc.

2 Likes

Ah ok. I'll just keep it the way it is now. The hub is integrated into Hubitat with matter via HomeKit. But that brings me back around to the original question. When paired to the Aqara hub are they using the Aqara cloud? or are they local?

Ah, yes, that could be a differentiator. Also, my hub is a C8, with not much other Zigbee of any flavor on it.

Do you mean the connection to your Hubitat hub?

If the Aqara hub is connected via matter and sharing its devices that way, I’d assume that’s local.

2 Likes

Yes, that is how it's connected. I assumed it was local. What had made me question it is I had a power outage the other day that knocked out my internet, I was noticing some issues with the sensor, but i was also noticing other issues with stuff I knew was local, so i couldn't really confirm if it was a local or network issue. The power issue wasn't resolved before I had to go to work, so I couldnt dig too deep into it.

For clarification, my home is on a power wall, so i still had power to the hubs, and router, but because of the power outage, Spectrum was down.

Same. To answer your original question, I Believe it would be local as well. You can always test though by disconnecting your modem and seeing if it all still works...

2 Likes

:point_up:

1 Like

I have all my aqara devices on a separate zigbee channel on a separate C5 hub with no issues.

I did have issues when I had them on my a main zigbee mesh.

2 Likes