Appropriate smart light switches for a 1500W space heater?

I use Aeotec Smart Switch 6's with portable air conditioners and found they can easily handle the large compressor and fan startup currents associated with those devices. Several others i tried could not. The Zooz 15 appliance switches also worked well.

@rdstov, not really, in 2.2.4, they introduced a thermostat controller that can take over the smart part of a not so smart "smart thermostat" or enhance it's capabilities buy adding temp sensors to it's decision making.

The app I'm releasing is a virtual thermostat that is controlled 100% in Hubitat via 1 or more temp sensors and can control several outlets/switches for heating and/or cooling. This is mainly for use with portable space heaters to make them smarter. The virtual thermostat can be interfaced with the built in Thermostat Scheduler, via Rule machine, different dashboard apps, etc. It's also Google Home and Alexa friendly just like a regular Zigbee/z-wave thermostat that can be used with Hubitat.

I'm personally using it to control a contactor in my garage because I already had all the hardware laying around instead of buying $400 of thermostats and special contactors to control my heating setup.

Yeah, I wish that, when people post a problem and ask for help, they would provide:

(1) Hubitat model
(2) Hubitat firmware version (the complete x.x.x.x version)
(3) which device (and device firmware and model, if known)
(4) which driver (and version) is being used, and whether built-in or not

Many people don't realize that we post solutions hoping that they will not only solve the poster's problem, but also serve as a reference for others, days and months in the future. Simply saying that they've got "the latest" firmware doesn't help when the post is being read in the future.

1 Like

Ah cool. So you just check for the power consumption to drop to zero (or close to zero maybe) and that tells you the cycle is over? I thought about a vibration sensor but your approach seems more solid. I don't use my washer/dryer that often (almost never) but when I do I invariably forget something is down there. Will have to experiment with a couple of those. I am fortunate to also have a gas dryer so I bet it would not fry the outlet.

mostly it's a matter of running the machines and then looking at Event History and plot out the power numbers. It's pretty easy to identify the values that you'll need. This many watts, this number of times = End of cycle

@tzoom , As I understand you're asking for a wallswitch that can handle your heater. Maybe this one will do the job:

Boiler smart switch

It is Tuya compatible so I would think someone will be able to help you with a driver.

I USE this for my set of roof coil heaters.. i used the earlier non zwave version prviously

i do use my own device handler for it..

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lgkahn/hubitat/master/zw15sm.groovey

2 Likes

Finally it's here, I've released the virtual thermostat app I was working hard and testing...

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.