Application State is missing for newly added Lutron dimmers

Thanks for all the help @mike.maxwell

FWIW, I don't feel like the original problem with the Application State not reflecting the new Devices was related to the IP Address mystery. However, creating a second instance of the Lutron Integrator seems to have worked as desired, so all I need to do now is convert Scenes, Alexa, etc. to the new devices on the new integrator. Ugh.

While this is outside of scope for the original issue, is it an easy thing to describe how I would go about "assigning a static dhcp"? Is that done in my wifi router perhaps? I'd like to do that in the hopes it will prevent future IP Address issues.

Thanks again for the help!

Yes.

You are looking for "Address Reservation" or something similar in one of your router's menus. Often you can select a device by the MAC address, and just add it to a reserved IP in a simple menu.

Your Lutron, Hubitat, Alexa, phones, or any device you use in Hubitat should be given a static address.

No, you don't need to do this. Those devices are the same.

Thanks for the info...definitely gonna do this.

Well now I got what I deserved...I've already deleted the old stuff.

Couldn’t you take a backup (with the new integration), revert to a backup before you added the new integration, copy the configuration list in the old integrator, restore the backup with the new integrator, paste in the configuration list from the old integrator?

Or, depending on how aggressive your deletes were, start from a backup that has the old integration and scenes, etc., then move forward just as you did, adding the second integration instance?

That might work

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I'm feeling like there is a bug in this process. Here's the steps I've taken in the last hour. TLDR; I'm back to the same exact problem.

1. Restored from a backup. Verified all worked as expected...and it did, despite the incorrect Lutron IP Address being in the original integration.
  2. Once more I added the two new devices (dimmers) to the configuration list of that original integration instance. As before, it added the device, but did not seem to save it to the database. The devices would still not work. At this point, the original devices no longer worked either, so I updated the IP Address and the original devices worked fine again, but not the two new ones.
  3. Then I created a new Lutron integrator instance and cut-n-pasted the device configurations in the new integrator. Everything saved perfectly, and they all worked directly from Hubitat...even the two new ones. Huzzah!

But now I'm back to figuring out how to manage the scenes, Alexa, etc to map to the new devices. @bravenel mentioned I should not have to do anything (I think), but I'm not sure how that could be. Below is the screenshot from the Devices list of the new dimmers...one each for each of the integrators. The device id's ending in 262 are for the old integrator and do not work. The device id's ending in 289 are from the new integrator and DO work just fine.

I feel like there is a bug in the Lutron Integrator that is somehow messing things up during the addition of the two new dimmer devices.

Obviously, just not sure how to replicate the issue.
Bruce and I have quite extensive RA2 and Caseta instances and I've not run into this issue in adding new devices to an existing integration setup...

Did it add it to the device list? If so, it added it to the database. Show a screenshot of that device page.

When you hit Done in the Lutron Integration app, it overwrote the ip address for telnet, so everything quit working. The Lutron Integration app has to have the correct IP address.

I suspect you got things out of order. Please open the Lutron Integration app now, with the correct IP address in it, and hit Done, with those two devices in the list. Then show one of the device pages for those two devices.

Well, yes, this is expected. It really doesn't make much difference that you have more than one Lutron Integration app instance. What you don't want to do is remove one, as that removes the devices. In effect, both instances have the same devices.

I totally understand the need to be able to replicate things before you can address them. I guess since I was able to replicate it exactly twice now, I felt it worth reporting.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

First I verified that I removed the two new devices from the original integrator and hit Done. I removed the devices from the Devices list. Then I went back and entered the two devices in the configuration for the original integrator and hit Done once more. They worked! I verified they were in the Application State section of the integrator settings, and also in the Devices list. I operated them and they worked.

Wow. I appreciate all the help from everyone on this one. Looks like it came down to a bad IP address and it needed to be "good" before I entered the new devices. Thanks again!

Now I gotta go find the MAC address of my hub so I can reserve an IP for it in my router...

1 Like

Go to Settings / Hub Details.

One program that I have found helpful in tracking down illusive IP addresses is a free program called Advanced IP Scanner. It will scan your LAN and provide IP addresses, MAC addresses and identification of devices if it is able to access that info.

My Lutron Pro 2 bridge is identified as a Texas Instrument device; I guess that is the primary chip in the device.

My Hue bridge is easier to identify as it says Phillips Lighting.

The Hubitat hub and any devices connected to your Hubitat hub through the network should have reserved IP addresses in your router setup so these devices are always assigned the same address when the router reboots. That goes for any WiFI switches, bulbs, etc. that might be directly connected as well.

Its on the bottom of the bridge, and also on the bottom of our hubs

4 Likes