Anyone using Smart Speakers outdoor year-round?

I am tired of bringing in and out our Bose speaker to charge it on the cradle. Sadly the cradle is not waterproof and I do not have any location in my backyard that is waterproof where a smart speaker can sit all year round. I had a few non-waterproof GH speakers that were collecting dust. Tried one under my deck, lasted a month with moderate rains, but one heavy rain storm it got saturated to the point of no return.

I have a shed that I can keep it in close by, but what's the point if it wont be able to hear me and I'll need to keep taking it out.

I'm trying to figure out how to leave one outside and waterproof it. Maybe find a fully waterproof speaker that can integrate with GH or Alexa?

I have wired outdoor speakers and love them. If you can run wires I would recommend this approach. Sonance makes a nice patio set with a subwoofer which I have around my patio and several friends around their pool. BestBuy has the sets on sale frequently, expensive but well worth investment.

Or just get a rock type speaker and run wires into your shed and either get a Sonos Amp or the Alexa Amp to power them and it can connect via wifi.

sonos roam is great for this

2 Likes

I would still have the same issue of docking it inside somewhere to charge as I do with my bose home portable speaker. It's wireless charging and waterproof, but the cradle isn't waterproof. I'd like the speaker to have voice assistant and outdoor 365.

I'm trying to avoid running wires throughout the backyard. However this can be doable, and was considering this with a Chromecast audio. However, wouldn't the AMP or Chromecast dongle have to be outside to hear my voice command? They're not waterproof, from what I understood.

EDIT: The outdoor speaker with alexa amp or chromecast wouldn't work. I forgot they dont have mics. My main reason for having a voice assistant speaker is for setting timers, asking questions, memos, and broadcasts. These would only work to stream my music.

They may not advertise it as waterproof but i've left mine outside in the rain and snow and not had any issue - the AC plug end is under the weatherproof outlet cover - the charger that the speaker sits on is magnetic and sealed, not like Bose that has pins

2 Likes

That is awesome to hear. Wish I had thought this through more when I was originally looking at the speakers... I may try to find a used one somewhere if I can't think of a more affordable solution.

A buddy of mine told me to try to put it into a drybag, the speaker could be heard from the bag and the MICs might be able to pick-up the voice commands through a thin PVC bag. I'll have just the power cord sticking out of the dry bag folds into dry outlet box. I'll still be bringing out my speaker for music, as nothing compares to a crisp sound of a premium speaker for music. But for voice assistance, this may just work. Seems a bit tacky to have it in one, but the speaker will be hidden under the decking and out of sight.

I'll post back once I try this out.

1 Like

not sure what Bose you're using but I have a mini soundlink II and I think the sonos roam sounds every bit as good... and as for the sonos speaker itself the waterproofing is great - my son covered the hottub once and forgot the speaker was sitting on the side, so it got knocked in and submerged for a good half hour before I asked where it was and no issue at all

Sonos amp and B&W AM1 speakers. Great set up. Not cheap but great sound quality. I have my garage, back patio, and front patio set up this way. Sonos allows you to group them to play the same source or play different music and all 3 locations.
With this I can also play announcements from hubitat through those speakers too. I have a No Soliciting announcement I play when the Vivint people show up.

Mine is definitely not submergible. It's only IPX4 waterproofing vs your IPX7. Here's the speaker.

I definitely remember reading this review and so many comparison of others. I mainly liked the aesthetics of the bose over the roam. Sonos Move was priced a bit too high for my budget at the time.

ok yea - that one is probably more comparable to the Move and seem Similar spec, performance, and price bracket

I asked another user in a different post this, but just remembered you mentioned you had one. I am on the fence of getting one of these. Does your roam integrate into HE as a music player or TTS?

sorry I cant answer that - I only use as a speaker and for Alexa (any of the HE stuff i'm hitting Alexa for the command)

Understood, Someone else replied that it is compatible/discoverable. :+1: