Anyone using Sensative Strips Comfort (lux and temp)?

Looking for feedback on compatibility (drivers) and frequency of updates for lux readings. Thanks!

Just hung one of these on the side of my deck 60 minutes ago... it's using the Strips Multi-Sensor built-in driver, which seems to expose most (but not all) configuration parameters. The sensor has been reporting regularly, but it's early days...

1 Like

I just installed one yesterday to measure lux outside of a window and trigger a Lutron shade. I've attached a snapshot of the readings I've been getting so far. As you can see, there are some big illuminance jumps between reporting. I changed the native "frequency" option in the driver from "normal" to "frequent," and the change took effect at 9:30am this morning when the device woke up for its daily sync. So far, it doesn't seem to have increased reporting for me. It's just past 12noon and I haven't had a reading in two hours despite the unit being solidly in the shade right now (a nearby Aeon Multisensor 6 is reading 1,400 lux but my Strips sensor hasn't changed from 4,688 two hours ago). If others have ideas for how to increase reporting, I'd love to hear thoughts. With this frequency, I'm not sure it's going to work for me. I need reporting more frequently as the sun starts hitting the window and varies depending on shade from nearby trees and the neighbors home.

1 Like

I did some digging, and deep in the info pages on the Sensitive web site is a description of how the sensor determines whether or not to report. The short version is that since lux follows a logarithmic scale, it only sends a new report when lux values have doubled/halved. The normal/frequent just changes reporting frequency during steady-state. I agree with you... reporting is not frequent enough when light levels are relatively constant. Their reasoning was based on conservation of battery by decreasing radio use. Makes sense, since the battery can't be replaced... too bad they couldn't find a way to discretize the battery module and sell replacement batteries. Would allow for more frequent reporting.

I mounted mine on a north-facing piece of deck trim, so it never sees direct light. I think this helps quite a bit, since the shade keeps values low and I see more reports when lux values are in the single to triple-digit range.

1 Like

That's what my concern was - can't really use this to drive indoor lights. I have an Aeotec multi-sensor that I use indoors (USB powered) and the reporting is much more frequent.

1 Like

Senative Comfort Strips. Note: To Anyone Hanging these Outside, Make sure that they can't get wet
They are not Water Proof, the blowing rain got inside and trashed it after 6 months, killed the battery

1 Like

Yikes! Did you contact support for a replacement? Their web site claims it's outdoor-compatible, and the spec sheet says water resistant. I haven't had mine for very long... keeping my fingers crossed that my experience doesn't mirror yours.

Super interesting to see the logarithmic approach to reporting. I noticed that Parameters 10 and 11 in the configuration parameters refer to "high ambient light report level" and "low ambient light report level." That makes me think we can actually narrow the reporting range and thus trigger more reporting since direct sunlight at 60,000 lux, for my purposes, is the same as bright light at 20,000. The native driver in HE does not seem to allow direct manipulation of Parameters 10 and 11. Any thoughts on how to change those values?

I wonder if this may be able to do it - Super basic Z-Wave parameter tool?

Ah, that Z-Wave parameter driver looks promising! I'll check it out. Thanks.

Quick update. I've now been using the Sensative Strips for over a week, and I'm actually quite liking them. I thought the reporting gaps on the logarithmic scale would be too wide to trigger my blinds in a timely manner, but because the difference between harsh sunlight and indirect sunlight is quite large, the log scale works just fine. It might take a little longer for my blinds to open back up than when I was using the Multisensor 6, but I honestly haven't noticed. So, in the end, I'm going to pick up a couple more for the other windows in my home that receive harsh sunglight.

1 Like

Thanks - this does help. Do you have them mounted outdoors by any chance? I'm trying to decide if I should just mount them on an inside window (for lux primarily) or outside (lux and temp). Also, I have heard that the pairing process can be finicky. Thoughts on that?

Yes, the pairing process can be a bit finicky, but not too bad. One paired immediately, two others required a few tries. Once paired, mine have all maintained a strong connection.

Mine are mounted on the outside of my windows. I have old, double-hung windows with wood trim, so I was able to screw the mount right in the middle of the my windows. That way, I'm getting a good central reading. I have eaves that hang over most of my windows, so the sensors will be somewhat protected from the elements. We'll see how they do this winter. I live in California, so the weather overall is pretty mild. I'll provide an update here if any of the sensors act up.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.