Anyone using an APC UPS in Aus?

Used them before here in the States and maybe its just old ears but never heard a hum - heard the running on battery indicator really well though :slight_smile: (can be silenced).

2 Likes

Received the two UPS' today. Definitely silent while charging. Will plug a few things in either tonight or tomorrow and let you know if I hear anything.

3 Likes

My Eaton and APC UPS’s don’t make any noise either, unless they are charging after an outage. Then there is some minor fan noise but nothing else.

1 Like

I have plugged one of the UPS' into my Study setup, including two laptops, a network switch, Sonos Speaker, 32" TV and few other bits and pieces. When running off main I think what I can hear is the same as @dJOS, a very, very faint hum of a fan. I have it sitting on my desk right next to me, but I would expect if I placed it further away I would not notice it at all unless there was dead silence in the room.

1 Like

I'd forgotten we had discussed the driver options here as well.... :slight_smile:

I installed Arn Burkoff's version and have seen the stats coming through. I still need to finish the setup with EventGhost to send the stats through periodically. The UPS I have played with is plugged into my laptop at the moment, so went this route as it is running Windows. The UPS I plan to setup in my Living Room will most likely plug into a rpi, so I'll look at your suggestion around Node RED there.

I'd also add I have noticed a plastic-like smell that I had read about in a review (I think on Amazon) after having the UPS plugged in overnight, I assume once it had warmed up. Hopefully that will clear eventually....

How big is the ups?
Will they fit in a rack enclosure?

The model I bought, BX950MI-AZ, is designed to just sit on the floor. Its about 12cm(W) x 16cm(H) x 36cm(D).

At a glance it does look like APC and CyberPower do rack mount versions:

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/apc-smartups-sc-450va-230v-1u-rackmounttower-aa48226?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4uaUBhC8ARIsANUuDjWOes_fD2KYccvel1K35VXuCovopJm-NVySi-6WsRbvbKL95wNkjdQaApqBEALw_wcB

1 Like

Thanks for that. After you made the thread I remembered that I had an APC Back UPS that I bought used quite a while ago and forgotten about. I plugged it in and it was dead silent!

1 Like

Thanks
Have looked at rack mount before and have always baulked at the prices!
Your one could sit nicely on a shelf still in the rack or even on too actually!
Cheers

1 Like

You could probably go smaller now that I think it through a little more. Without looking at the different products, 500W is a bit more than you might need for most IT / IOT situations. So also worth thinking about that too, but they were on special and in the sweet spot for what I was happy to spend.

I just went for a 390w CyberPower one and even it keeps the network and IOT stuff up for an hour. I'll probably up it to a higher one when I add Poe cameras or APs

1 Like

if you can cancel it quick it's on amazon for $109

What is?

Sorry I thought you just only ordered the UPS

The CP one? Nah had it a while. Good price if it's 109 though.

yeh - I'm in 2 minds, already have 4 UPS's lol

2 Likes

I was getting a lot of short outages so I grabbed the CP one from Officeworks in a hurry and it's worked well. Good price even at rep. But 109 is great

1 Like

In our area we're assured of at least once/twice a year for a few hours and the rare brownout. Hence UPS is a must.

1 Like

lol, same here! :rofl: