Anyone using an Alexa Routine to trigger IFTTT to activate a HE virtual switch?

It seems Alexa Routines can now trigger IFTTT recipes. I tried to include an IFTTT trigger in my morning routine to turn on a Hubitat virtual switch. The virtual switch is set in Mode Manager (under 'Set mode with switches') to change the mode when the virtual switch turns on. I successfully got the IFTTT recipe (via an Alexa Routine) to turn on the virtual switch but Mode Manager did not change the mode.

I feel like I have made this too difficult. Could someone let me know how they were able to effectuate a similar rule where an Alexa Routine ultimately causes a Hubitat mode to change? I'm thinking Rule Machine instead of Mode Manager. Should I remove IFTTT and use the Amazon Echo App or Skill instead?

Why not just trigger the virtual switch directly by the Alexa Routine instead of going through IFTTT?

4 Likes

Yes, you should probably just use the Amazon Echo Skill. Enable the ‘Hubitat Skill’ within the Alexa Mobile phone app, which will prompt you to log into the Hubitat Portal and select your Hubitat Hub. This will automagically install the correct App on your hub which you can then use to expose whatever Hubitat devices you choose to Alexa. You don’t need to expose anything other than the one virtual switch you want to use.

You can create a “Virtual Switch” device on your hub by simply Adding a Virtual device on the Devices page, then select the “Virtual Switch” driver. I believe you can even configure it to automatically reset itself back to “off”, if desired. This will make sure it is ready for the next time the Alexa Routine fires.

1 Like

Honestly, my Alexa app is so riddled with scenes and devices in triplicate that I have been hesitant to enable the Hubitat Amazon Echo App or Skill in fear that I will add a fourth version of everything in the Alexa app.
But willing to enable the native Amazon Echo app(s) if that will do the trick easily. I can worry about culling the Alexa app at a later point.

That was easy. Didn't realize the Hubitat skill for Alexa would cause the correct app to install on my Hubitat. And it was very clear about which devices I was opening up to Alexa so no duplicates were added. Very nice. Thanks for the quick advice.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.