Anyone used Trådfri Remote or Dimmer?

As far as I know, there is only one platform where the Tradfri remotes are completely functional (Besides the Ikea hub). I just left that platform for a whole host of reasons and am VERY happy that I did.

I have a ton of their bulbs which work just fine on my system in HE. I use the five button remotes as well to turn on/off the lights they are paired to and do not need HE to do anything with them. So, they work fine for my use case For those situations where I need more out of the remotes, I purchase Hue 4 button remotes. I just took that as a limitation because I did my research before hand and knew that they were not supported.

Would I like more functionality? Sure I would. Am I mad at HE for failing to offer support for a nonstandard zigbee implementation for a device that has AMPLE discussion in here saying that they don't work with HE? Abosolutely Not.

I am not dismissing anyone's frustration. I am merely stating that if you are frustrated with HE over it, then I think you are looking at the wrong offender.

1 Like

If your running node-red this may be an option for you.

1 Like

This will still require the installation of zigbee2mqtt (like for the dimmer button) that I mentioned in a number of posts already.

I found a workoround to use them. Do as follow:

1. Add Ikea button to HE via regular pairing process for the button as on ST
  2. Add ikea bulb to HE
  3. Pair the button directly with the bulb pressing 10 seconds the pair button until bulb flashed

Voila! Now you have the bulb paired and on HE at the same time. The only thowback is when you turn on the bulb with the control, the status on HE is not changing.

Yep, I posted the same about 2 months ago
https://community.hubitat.com/t/ikea-color-temperature-bulbs-with-remote-update-solved-it

However, this workaround doesn't have the remote actually doing anything in HE. I am pretty sure that most mean they want to be able to use the remote in HE to do stuff. For me, as I said originally, it serves MY purpose

how do you manage the issue with the blackouts or when a light's power flick occurs? I mean, so far is the same as whe we use to turn on a light using the control, for HE the light never turned on until you refresh it.

I don't think it can be said that Ikea isn't compliant to the Zigbee spec. They are one of the few manufactures that shows up in the certification database for all their firmware updates.

https://zigbeealliance.org/zigbee_products/?product_type=certified_product&se=Ikea

They only implement group messaging on their buttons so they work when they are directly paired with devices.

Smartthings, Zigbee2mqtt, and Deconz allows the hub to be added to the group of the button and then pass the button presses into the device drivers. I wish Hubitat would also do that as there some nice buttons that could be used. But it seems Zwave has been their focus lately. It's about the only complaint I have about Hubitat which is way better than the bad old days of Smartthings.

I hope they really implement that on the HUB. This is the ONLY thing i miss from smartthing because using the long press attribute I had webcore routines and automations and I had my house with those controls everywhere. Even an experiment to use one of them as a house key using a sequence of different button push to open my front door.

1 Like

I'm not a developer, but I have tried to convert smarthings driver for these remotes.

I'm have the round 5 button and the orginal blind switch in ST today - works like charm.

Replacing physicalgraph.zigbee.zcl.DataType with hubitat.zigbee.zcl.DataType and some other small things. It saves fine now but cant get it to work though..

Maybe someone else have some more quick fixes :wink:

It's impossible, the problem is directly related to the hub firmware, it connects but will not talk together because of the way the buttons are setup. Either Ikea needs to make there buttons talk directly to the hub or Hubitat implements a less than standard way of communicating with the buttons.

So nothing we can do will make it work, this needs to happen at a higher level. Sorry for the work you've done on this for nothing.

@nclark, thank you for your quick response. I didnt reed the hole thread but I found another driver for the IKEA Puck remote so I though it would be possible :wink:

Thank you again, I leave it and hopefully they fix it. I have alot of these that is not in use since I moved over to HE.

Hi @zimba,

@nclark is right, not something we can solve in code, but if you have a raspberry pi there are a couple of options for purchasing additional zigbee receivers for the rpi that can then allow you to use these IKEA remotes with HE. I went the slightly more expensive route with a conbee2 usb receiver, but there are cheaper alternatives.

EDIT: Actually, I believe I should correct that, i"'m pretty sure the Conbee2 can also work on a PC, so if you have one that is on all the time that would also be an option.

Understand the hesitation, but have to say the Lutron stuff is great and rock solid.

1 Like

I heard form a Slack group that could be possible to pair wit an echo dot or more powerfull echo device from Amazon

So,,, IKEA is member of Zigbee organization ( Members - Zigbee Alliance ) but are not following the Zigbee standard ?

Should't that disclasify them from membership ?

Or ... is HE missing parts of the standard ?

As a consumer,,, I feel "betrayed" :thinking:

The Ikea stuff passes the Zigbee certification every time they update firmware. If you look through the certification database Ikea is always showing up. That being said they implement most of their buttons with touchlink and group messaging which means they are meant to control a bulb directly without going through the hub. Some buttons will switch into a mode is compatible with hubitat during setup but Ikea didn't implement that (probably because they don't need it, although they did on the remote dimmer and volume control).

Smartthings, Deconz, Zigbee2mqtt, and Home assistant all support these Ikea buttons, however. They allow the hub to be added to a group and pass the inbound messages.

I'm not sure the Hubitat ever went through certification for the whole hub with the Zigbee people. But I'm not sure that support for buttons that use group messages is required to pass since buttons are meant for direct control. I don't think you can certify a new device unless it is Zigbee 3.0 (you can recertify an existing device if there are firmware changes, I think, that is ZLL or ZHA). I think Hubitat uses a Sillcone Labs transceiver which probably as an IC and it's related Zigbee stack was certified to ZHA.

I'm more into Zigbee so I wish Hubitat would give it some love (support for these buttons, firmware updates, and green power) but I think Z wave is getting upgraded right now (C7 with 700 series transceiver and firmware update).

Here is the certification database

2 Likes

Also, certification isn't always what it is cracked up to be. Some of the early Zigbee transceivers caused all sorts of repeating problems on the mesh which is why you will see a lot of threads with people who had problems when they added zigbee bulbs to their network. Although, I read somewhere that they improved their certification for Zigbee 3.0. I think most people have good luck with Zigbee 3.0 device on Hubitat.

On another note Ikea is the only company that I'm aware of that upgraded their existing Zigbee devices from ZLL to Zigbee 3.0 with a firmware update

Glad I found this thread. I was about to pull the trigger and buy the Hubitat, but I have way to much Ikea stuff in my Smartthings setup to do that. I have these on/off switches in just about every room.

If you are only using the switches to control bulbs (ie, not using the button presses for anything else) then the buttons can be added and still control the lights. (Note: You have to associate the lights directly to the remotes, so it likely only works with other ikea lights)

The only functionality missing is having HE detect the button presses and do something else. I have several of them and am using them beside HE to turn on lights. I have a few Hue button remotes for things that I want the button presses to trigger something other than lights.

I have done that with multiple buttons that aren't supported by Hubitat. Anything that is touch link should work with each other if all the devices are joined to the Hubitat network. You can actually add any Zigbee device to a group so even non touch link devices can be controlled by Ikea buttons directly but you have to write the right attributes and I don't think any code exists that reads the buttons group and then puts other devices in that group. The group app when Zigbee group messaging is enabled, I think, adds devices to a group so I think it would be possible. I used a Conbee and deConz to do in manually.