Any way to make a dashboard a website?

I use the Enhanced Weather Underground driver from @dJOS to create a weather dashboard on my hubs (thanks again, Derek!) and it displays exactly the weather info I want without a lot of "extras" that I find distracting on, for example, the WU website for my PWS. I have a few folks in the area who look at my PWS for local weather (maybe 5-10 people), and I'd like to point them to a webpage that just shows my weather dashboard, but that doesn't give them access to my other dashboards or the rest of a hub (i.e., I don't want them to see my lighting and such). Can this be done, and if so, any pointers? I can access my own hubs remotely with ease but when I click on the URL I'm not seeing a full web address that I could just copy and paste, that doesn't also allow a person to find my other dashboards, such as the one I use for device control.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the “cloud dashboard” link option will do something like what you describe.

You can get a specific link for each dashboard you have setup, via the config page for each one.

5 Likes

This.

Every dashboard is a webpage, it’s just a question of whether that webpage can be accessed only from inside your LAN, or from outside as well (i.e. over the internet).

You’re seeing the local LAN “web” address, which won’t be accessible by your neighbors unless they’re connected to the same local network as you. If they were, you could indeed copy/paste that link for someone else to use.

But if you enable the cloud link to the dashboard, and share that link with them, then they can access it from outside your LAN.

There are a few settings you should make sure to toggle to lock down the dashboard. See the relevant hub documentation page for details.

5 Likes

Very helpful. Thanks to both of you, @dJOS and @marktheknife . I use the cloud setting for when away from the properties, but for some reason I thought that opened up the list of all dashboards. Will play around with this over next day or two. The unseasonably nice weather we're having here in Maine has me outside enjoying the weather rather than just looking at data about it, thankfully. Then again, I'm out in it no matter what, so I guess I'm just noticing it more. We've only had a handful of frosts at night thus far, and we're only two weeks away from when I normally put the studded snow tires on. Crazy weather, but no one's complaining!

3 Likes

There is always night-time to look at dashboards :wink:

1 Like

Ha! I need more free evenings, for sure. We've been trying to bring broadband to our little corner of the world through a non-profit I'm part of, and that has taken up most evenings lately. Never enough time... I often wonder if that will change when I one day retire, but my friends who have done that don't seem to have slowed down much. Probably a good thing.

2 Likes

Retirement would leave more time for Home Automation..... Just saying... As someone who feels work get's in the way.... though does pay for much of this....

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, there should be an option to keep someone with the dashboard link from accessing the list of all dashboards.

1 Like

Is this what you meant?

3 Likes

Think so. Disabling the first highlighted option, and enabling the second one, should protect a dashboard from being tampered with or used to access other dashboards.

Edit: and to further protect access to the dashboard through the cloud, notice there’s also an option to configure a PIN code that must be entered before the dashboard will actually load.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.