Any update on when we can get the new "Hub Protection Service"?

That doesn't bode well for ZigBee updates then, for example 3.0 or green power. So we will be waiting for a C8 then.

These are not related to the backup/restore issue.

4 Likes

Just making sure I'm following as I am not voiced on all the C7 specifics.

I bought my hub in August after seeing some advertisement saying something along the lines of "hurry and get yours today... to take advantage of the hub protection service." I was happy with the C5 but bought a C7 anyway based on the ad's language of significant advantages of doing so.

Since then I've read to wait before deploying as the service would make the switchover from one hub to another much easier and prevent a bunch of manual work.

Am I now right to understand this hub service likely won't be out any time soon -- and when it does get released, it will not offer anything in the way of making the transition from a C5 to C7 hub any easier or less manual?

The current suggested path is just bite the bullet and crawl around, resetting Zwave switches around the house and rebuild the hub devices manually -- something that is unchanged since I put it on the shelf when first purchase in August?

Is that right? 'Just want to make sure as it will be quite the undertaking with all our devices and I don't want to do so if an easier solution is coming.

Zwave devices will transfer over without any need for exclusion/inclusion on your part.

Zigbee devices will have to be put into pairing mode. They will join the new hub with their original names and device-ids, so automations will not have to be redone.

I have decided to fill the gap, and will be providing a hub protection service starting tomorrow, February 24th.

Send me your hub, and I will protect it (from you). For as we know, the most frequent offenders when it comes to abusing a hub, are the hub owners.

11 Likes

Just making sure I am clear. The following instructions earlier in this thread on how to migrate to a C7 hub no longer apply and it is now mostly automatic except for the Zigbee migration you describe? Is there some documentation describing the same?

That is only the case when using the (as of yet unreleased) Protection Service.

Without the Protection Service you do it the way it is described in your linked post.

So, the easier route to avoid lots of manual visits to the scores of devices controlled by our C5 hub, is to continue to wait for the Protection Service? Are there any broad estimates of when that will be? 1/2 half 2021, 2nd half, 2022, etc?

No official eta. It's done when it's done. That said, I think most people are expecting it sometime in 2021 (1H2021 is my current guess).

I fully believe that Hubitat wants it done as soon as possible too, so they can take our money. :wink:

They will likely make 100x more off the service than they do from selling hardware (made up numbers provided by my imagination).

5 Likes

Ah, this is a great pastime. I could use it to imagine all sorts of cool things happening. :sunglasses:

9 Likes

At least I put up the disclaimer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:rofl:

There is nothing subjective nor personal interpretation in stating that people were led to think it'd be released in 2020. I'm not blaming anybody, I'm just stating the FACT that this was misleading in the way that it led people to make decisions based on how much they trusted the info they got at the time. It's a very simple hard fact : the misleading info was out there. Although I don't know who could be stupid enough to sue for so little, it could still constitute a case. And, when I say "could", I use a conditional expression which means that I assume the fact that I'm not sure. Therefore, the part that is indeed a matter of interpretation was expressed as such in the first place, rendering your remark irrelevant if not, perhaps, for some sort of misplaced fidelity. :slight_smile:

Well you can't say they were "led to believe" followed by "stating the FACT".

That is simply not how the words work.

Whether they were led or misled is still subjective, and therefore is not a FACT.

2 Likes

Let it go, let it go
Can't hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door
I don't care what they're going to say
Let the storm rage on
The cold never bothered me anyway

7 Likes

@bobbles You sir are evil! It's bad enough that I get to hear that song and see this face on my TV every other day thanks to a 3 year old but now it has invaded MY SPACE!!!!!

8 Likes

False information (or information that happened to be false, even if not intended, of course, as such), is a fact. Being misled is a subjective consequence of this fact. A subjective consequence caused by a false information is a fact too. If I tell you "your mother died yesterday" and you get sad, although sadness is a feeling, it is still a fact that I told you that your mother died and that you are sad because of this false information.

LOL

sigh Yes, if they explicitly said it would out by XYZ date (not "should be" or "we are targeting") then yes, that info being wrong would be a fact.

If they said "should be" or "we are targeting" then it not coming out by then does not make it a FACT that they misled people.

Just saying.

1 Like

Wow how far can this go.... Here is my two cents... In the community I have seen griping, complaining, speculation and even suggestions of legal threats about the Hub Protection Service offering. Here is the bottom line. I purchased a C7 hub right out the gate because I thought it was was a good idea because of its features. Yes I am interested in the Hub Protection Service... The Hub Protection Service will be out when it is ready, I am sure. I for one would rather wait for a mature product that works rather than get some flaky service that gives everybody something else to gripe about. Software (and hardware) development isn't an exact science. I am sure that the folks at Hubitat would have already liked this to be bringing in revenue but things come up. Its unfortunate these days that somebody cant give you a heads up of their intentions and hopes without surrounding everything in legal caveats and language like "expected" or "should" or "may" or some hungry lawyer will jump at the chance to bring legal action. I am quite sure that the folks at Hubitat didn't intend to manipulate or trick buyers into buying the C-7 by dangling a false carrot in front of the buyer. These folks have shown time and time again, that they would like their company to succeed and build a good relationship with their customer base and to do that would have been counter to all of the efforts that they have worked hard for. As for what it provides or doesn't.... when the product is released and the pricing is published along with the features, you can make a decision at that time as to whether you want to buy it or not. The C7 will operate just fine without it. If you don't think the service is a good value, don't buy it. Some may see it otherwise and choose it. With all of that said, There really is no need for arm twisting, threatening, bullying or any other tactics with the Hubitat folks. To do so, would be engaging in the very act of manipulation that some are accusing them of. I am sure that they will do their best to provide a good product just as they have done from the start.

5 Likes