Any update on when Lutron Radio RA3 Integration may be available?

No answer for an integration, but a suggestion for devices:

The Caséta outdoor plug is exactly the same as the Radio RA3 version, except each is locked to their respective systems. The Caséta version is $80 street and the Radio RA3 is $250 MSRP.

A similar story for lamp dimmers, though they are in different physical forms. Caséta street is $50, Radio RA2/3 MSRP is $179.

A Caséta pro bridge MSRP is $150. If you don't have one already, it is also a good place for Picos controlling Radio RA2 stuff via Hubitat to live. After discounts (YMMV), a bridge plus a Caséta outdoor plug won't be much different in costs than just a RA3 plug. Any more devices and you are saving a fair bit. I realize that does not answer your LED tape issue.

2 Likes

I've been pinging them off and on again since I provided this update, and still nothing. I asked them what requirements a business needs to meet in order for them to allow a 3rd party API integration, but haven't heard back. I don't have any hope of this actually resolving in the near term unfortunately. I suppose the work around could be to go through Alexa integration, but then you are taking a dependency on a cloud provider.

It's a real shame, as I moved over to RA3 in my home from RA2, and the switches and reliability are great. But there is a real need for a Hubitat or HA integration as their software just doesn't allow one to do the needful.

Was your RA2-->RA3 transition part of a larger renovation? Or just change of Lutron devices?

1 Like

Home Assistant has some RadioRA 3 support, I don't think it is feature complete. It's reverse engineered and so subject to issues.

1 Like

It was part of a larger renovation. I kept many of my RA2 switches but installed a bunch of new RA3 as well.

1 Like

Yeah, I've tried it, and it's not sufficient as it doesn't expose all of the switches.

I have a need for some new switches too, I might’ve considered RadioRA 3 rather than more RadioRA 2 switches, if Lutron would just open up the LEAP API a bit…

2 Likes

I'd stick with Maestro even with RadioRA 3 processor. The RRD-PRO is the most versatile dimmer and one can easily change colors. It's hard to understand some of the product decisions that Lutron makes.

My impression is that they keep on refining capabilities, and that Lutron sometimes makes breaking changes. A good place to keep track or report issues is at:

2 Likes

Wonder why Lutron is slow to work with Hubitat because they already have integrations with Control4, Josh.ai, Crestron, etc. It's very simlar to the Caseta protocol which already works with Hubitat. I am also looking for RA3 integrations. I upgraded just assuming Hubitat would work with it.

It isn’t. LEAP is completely different from the telnet protocol used for the Caseta and Lutron RA2 integrations.

4 Likes

As of now the best way is via Home Assistant. I don't believe their integration is full-featured as of now, but it is under active development. There have been some RA3 changes as of September.

3 Likes

For me, the core issue with maintaining/extending an RadioRA2 investment is the stale RA2-Inclusive software?

• When my last Windows 10 machine advanced to Windows 11, I realized that RA2-Inclusive cannot run on Windows 11.

• I purchase a Mini PC (Intel Celeron N4020, 4GB DDR4, 128GB eMMC) and installed Windows 10 Pro just to run RA2-Inclusive.

• I have made numerous configuration changes on the Mini PC just to block otherwise-desirable updates (including Windows 11 migration).

• Now that RA2 lacks software support and RA3 lacks Hubitat integration, I purchase Caséta and Z-Wave alternatives.

I will probably perform an RA2 -> RA3 upgrade if/when (a) RA3 interoperates with Hubitat and (b) I take the RA3 training. Alternately, I'll need to abandon features like integration buttons.

How are others handling the current RA2 ugliness?

• Still using RA2 Inclusive?

• Still using Integration Buttons?

• Other adjustments / recommendations?

The Lutron software runs fine on Windows 11. I don't remember what the Windows 11 issue was for some users (I've never had a problem), but it was easily fixable. One thing to consider is to buy a second main repeater as they are easily findable on eBay. Also, Caséta scene buttons are the equivalent of RadioRA 2 phantom buttons.

2 Likes

@bill.d Thanks for the head's up with respect to Windows 11 support !

RA2-Inclusive on Win11

My previous attempts to install RA2-Inclusive on Win11 were circa Win11 22H2. I believe 22H2 included TLS 1.2 and dropped some support for application access to dated MS SQL Server versions (possibly due to dropped certs). I fell back to Windows 10 before the 22H3 release.

This afternoon, I installed RA2-Inclusive on win11 23H2 with no issues.

2nd RA2 Main Repeater

I do have a second RA2 Main Repeater - mostly so that I can avoid the "1 second delay" per Radio RA2 /Hubitat best practices form the start - #8 by jwjr.

Caséta Scenes

I picked up a few more Caséta devices recently. I'll give Caséta scene buttons a try.

+1 -- really want RA3 support from Hubitat.

I had >100 Insteon dimmers in a prior home. They've been sitting in a storage bin for the last ~5 years.

I'm about to take the plunge on Lutron's Radio RA3, largely because their Sunnata dimmer is, IMHO, far-and-away the best blend of aesthetics & premium UI/UX "feel".

To me, Insteon's dimmers always felt a bit cheap/gimmicky/non-premium; I feel like nearly all of the ('smart') dimmer options on the market today have a very similar UX & aesthetic to the old Insteon dimmers, especially dimmers that are available/accessible to "DIY"-ish crowd (i.e. not constrained to dealer-only - Control4, Crestron, etc). The only other dimmer I've been tempted by is the Inovelli, but it lacks the 'touch' dimming & has a few of the negative aesthetic aspects that I'm trying to avoid (extra button & air-gap thing -- simply just not as 'clean' as the Sunnata).

In order to have Sunnata -level aesthetics and interaction + any amount of 'smart' control (i.e. scenes), the only option is RA3 -- or to continue waiting for a new product, which may never come.

Hubitat is the missing link for me; I can use the HomeAssistant integration instead but, at least for me, HA has been far less stable vs Hubitat over the years.

Have you used the Sunnata dimmers? I found them to be fine, but not great, and not really any better than Maestro style. The backlighting may be annoying in some locations too. Also the Sunnata keypads more or less suck if you want to use backlighting or more than 4 buttons.

1 Like

Yep, have used them & quite like them. The top-end line has the best dimming tech available and is configurable (fwd/rev phase & top/bottom 'stops'). The backlight can also be configured/disabled.

The Maestro aesthetic isn't awful (but also isn't as good as Sunnata) IMO -- though the UI/UX of "precise" dimming that the Sunnata offers via touch is really phenomenal IMO.

I've converted over to RA3 from RA2 and I also love them. Their native automation capability is quite basic and limiting, but they are the most reliable components I have in the house. Somehow, I've got RA3 working via Home Assistant with the Lutron Caseta integration. I've not been able to get this to work with Hubitat. My understanding is that HA doesn't have any native RA3 integration either, so not even sure why it is working for me (perhaps I'm cheating and it is going through Alexa). I've not bothered to figure that out.

Home Assistant has a reverse engineered LEAP integration for Lutron, which will work with both Caseta and RA3.

Thanks for the info.