Any Sonoff Support Updates?

I just bought a boatload of Sonoff open/close sensors assuming they were supported since they are pretty big name. Boy was I wrong. I searched the community and most of the threads were pretty old. Anyone know of community drivers to support these sensors that don’t require an additional device setup? I’m looking for direct integration into HE. I have no interested in http calls or api’s. Too texhnical for me. :slight_smile:

I'm assuming they are not the latest Zigbee 3.0 spec sensors? They should work perfectly straight out of the box. I think the older devices are not Zigbee and would require flashing with Tasmota to work.

2 Likes

Zigbee/ZWave
Zigbee/ZWave
Zigbee/ZWave

It's the mantra I chant under my breath when I'm searching for devices! Too many times in the past I've clicked a link, that's taken me to another related link, that's taken me to another related link, that I've then bought the product not realising until it arrives that it's WiFi!!

Doh!!

2 Likes

Zigbee
Zigbee
ZIG BEEEE

Is my chant, after reading the various horror stories on this forum about multiple Z-Wave issues with locks and other devices, the (still somewhat ongoing) debacle of the C7 roll-out, the what seems to me ridiculously complex security model and difficulty connecting Z-Wave devices to the Hubitat, the local frequency requirement making it difficult to source some devices. I've promised myself I won't buy a Z-Wave device unless I absolutely have to :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

And as for wifi devices don't get me started. From Magic light bulbs (really pathetic), RF transmitter (no integration), Arlo (no integration), Nest, SmartLife, Withings... Etc etc. All largely pathetic in my setup either because we don't have effective integrations or because the devices are themselves rubbish.

Hmmm, having said all that, my one Z-Wave device (an AEOTEC siren 6) has worked faultlessly from day 1 which is more than I can say for many of my Zigbee devices :thinking:

1 Like

I have all the new sonoff sensors and they do work with just the generic system drivers, and for the power, there is even a system driver for that device.
You can however get sonoff drivers if you wish, the easiest way would be to install the hubitat package manager and do a search. I tried them for a while, but we back to the system drivers.

As others have already implied, Sonoff makes several different sensors, so without some more details re: the model #s of the devices you purchased, it's hard for anyone here to provide any info without making assumptions that may not even apply to you.

The official list of compatible devices is maintained here. There is also a list of devices that community members have successfully integrated here (either with built-in drivers or custom code). Zigbee or Z-wave devices, as already mentioned, pair directly to the hub. WiFi devices (or any device that connects to the LAN on its own) generally require more work, because they simply weren't designed to be paired with a home automation hub like Hubitat.

Hubitat staff have done the work for us with a few LAN-based integrations (Yeelight or Hue, for example), but IMHO it would be a waste of their time to prioritize all possible WiFi devices for integration because there are just too many of them, and there is no standard that different manufacturers follow so they usually require some bespoke code (those pesky http calls and APIs you mentioned :wink:).

Research first, buy second

2 Likes

@kerrylebel there's a good repository of drivers for Sonoff supplied by Markus-

1 Like

Thank you to all of you that provided constructive feedback. Much appreciated! I didnt think that Sonoff had more than one Zigbee open/close sensor but the model is the Sonoff SNZB-04. Here is a link.. The form factor is great and looks like a quality sensor. They pair to my HE just fine but it doesnt recognize what type of device it is. I can give those beta drivers a shot and see how it goes. :+1:

Paired perfectly, HE just didn't know what type of device they were.

The only z-wave devices I have in the house are my GE/Jasco overhead fan switches. If they made a Zigbee version I would have bought that instead. I have over 65 Zigbee switches and dimmers throughout the house and another dozen or so Sengled zigbee RGB bulbs. The Zigbee network has worked flawless.

They make WiFi sensors too, it never hurts to include the model # when you have a question about a specific device.

You can change the assigned device driver on the device’s settings page. Custom driver may not even be required, although it’s possible if that driver had been installed on the hub first, then the device would have been recognized correctly.

Driver code includes a list of device fingerprints, which tell the hub “this device is a contact sensor, assign the contact sensor driver to it.” When the fingerprint for a certain device isn’t included in the driver code, the hub doesnt know what to do with it.

But if it uses standard zigbee commands for a contact sensor, the generic hub driver could function just fine, once it has been manually assigned to the device.

In other words, consider manually assigning the generic zigbee contact sensor driver before resorting to the use of custom code. If it’s just a fingerprint issue, the custom code isn’t necessary.

2 Likes

Markus' drivers are top notch. Highly respected around the community. I use them a lot for various devices. A nice feature they have is that they track the "presence" of the device on the mesh, so you can check if it's still properly connected to your mesh.

2 Likes