Any recent problems with ecobee integration?

This is a Hubitat app, but I don't think it's a Hubitat problem. I'm almost positive it's all Ecobeee.

Ok, so after several attempts when I got the email, I was able to turn on 2 factor. The whole experience just showed even stronger that Ecobee either has too little staff or too under skilled staff to support their hardware side (and the software side isn't much better adding cell phone only 2fa instead of support for authentication apps). Just like the constant errors I've gotten since day one trying to connect in the hub logs.

However now I notice errors that imply that ecobee really isn't connecting at all (perhaps because of the 2FA). So as a troubleshooting step I delete the app to re-add it hopefully with the proper 2FA since that part is on their side (the API auth). However I simply can't log in at all. After the first failure I DISABLED 2FA incase their did a partial rollout and the API can't handle it.

The password that works on the app and website fails. I tried changing it #4# times and none of those work. They also don't work on the app or website. That tells me even though it tells me changed it doesn't. Do they have some sort of cluster or different silo's that use MANUAL??? replication? Will it all work tomorrow? But that funniest thing is my last change was back to original password and it still doesn't work.

Or is it just time to go pure zigbee or zwave and say *(%^@# the cloud. I didn't actually buy this one. it was a prize from an drawing tied to an online energy inspection tool from our local branch of the TVA. I only installed it because that was when Google totally messed the bed and basically made Nest a closed system (and well before they said they might allow access again) I was happy to be rid of the Nest. I'm perfectly happy doing scheduling inside Hubitat instead of the thermostat if it lets me buy cheaper. Actually have no need to the ultra complex scheduling of even offline thermostats. It is incredibly rare that someone isn't home even when we don't have a Shelter in Place order. I just want day/night (cooler at night to sleep better) and unscheduled home/away (both of which I already have in the hub).

The GoControl looks ok and the Zen is sort of attractive. Even the Honeywell Intrusion is a very nice looking thermostat (I saw a few reviews on it mentioned Hubitat specifically).

So is this just a temporary thing with Ecobee, or is it just my account and I need to re-register. Or did they totally break the API with their 2FA push, which shows such a lack of concern to uses that I should switch - at least Google told us it was going down).

I enabled 2FA yesterday and haven't had a problem. I did some testing this morning and I was able to control the thermostat without issue. I'll do some more testing this evening to see if maybe there is some sort of lag in their system and I'm just not experiencing it yet.

Magically it works again. No changes in password from what it said was wrong and no chance of mistype since it was all driven by password manager.

Looks like they have some of sort MANUAL sync between different service silos

edit:
before someone comes up with the OBVIOUS answer of me locking the account. Well yes you're right I did in all that testing. And it told me I'd be unlocked in 15 minutes so I had my watch tap me in 20 to try again and it still didn't work.

Just an FYI. Ecobee has been having a lot of server issues in the last week. So not sure if that was impacting your stuff too.

Their service always seem to have some kind of outage. Sometimes they announce it sometimes they don’t.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.