Any plans to become a ring partner?

Ugh. Oh well. Guess it was wishful thinking :disappointed:

I don't think the answer is to integrate with Ring. I think the answer is for a better dorbell/camera platform to be created. I have a ring, but I actually don't like it. Motion is too sensitive, even on the lowest setting, you can't point it to local storage, etc...

3 Likes

That's a matter of opinion. I'm very happy with my ring. The answer for me is an integration, not for a new company to maybe spring up with a better product. I'm not planning to spend $2000 to replace all the devices I already bought.

I had the same experience.

Unfortunately, lots of people are buying into each of the walled gardens, so instead of the Internet of Things, we have lots of little silos that only get connected when the various corporate overlords approve the interconnections. :open_mouth: :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

I reallllllllllllllllly wish Ubiquiti would come out with a small doorbell camera.... (and not the early access two way intercom thing).

2 Likes

This is being explored.

Just as an FYI, I've been having some dialogue with Jamie Siminoff who is the founder of Ring. First, he said that the partner program is not dead and has not been affected by the Amazon purchase. He said there is a huge backlog of applicants to the partner program and therefore they're moving very slowly. They are focusing on some of the "bigger partners" first which I can understand. Second, he said that they do fully intend to make their API public but there is no timing yet on when that will happen. Guess we'll see what actually happens, but I at least appreciate hearing something!

Well while they are waiting for the bigger partners and for others.....

Simplex Technology is now an authorized DoorBird partner and dealer. We will be working on an official HomeSeer and ISY integration soon and possibly Hubitat if there's enough interest.

If there's interest in purchasing contact me through PM or email us for pricing.

2 Likes

Blockquote
I reallllllllllllllllly wish Ubiquiti would come out with a small doorbell camera.... (and not the early access two way intercom thing).
Blockquote

This is already in Beta.

Doorbird and Grandstream

Both have options to integrate z-wave modules for alerting and also for inline z-wave relay to open door. More expensive than the smart locks but also aesthetically more appealing.

Doorbird makes a very nice doorbell. I would have purchased it if it had an integrated keypad.

It has cloud support and integration capabilities. Video door intercom and video doorbell for iOS, Android, iPhone, iPad, Smartphone and Tablet
Supports a relay for electric strike (IP67) rated.
Supports ONVIF for true camera access and security systems.
No Keypad for codes.

I purchased a Grandstream doorbell.

Relay for Electric Strike
Add multiple users rfid and access code.
Not cloud Capable.
Had to buy a Grandstream PBX system for my house. (Use 1-Voip) $11.99 a month for 4 lines unlimited nationwide.
Video quality is great because not going through a cloud server.
Replaced phones with Android touchscreen phones.
Can open door from from anywhere (Mobile app, Computer, IP video phone, Cellular number)
Blows away my ring doorbell for video and audio quality.
has a keypad
rfid keyfob option
ONVIF for security camera integration.

Their personal use model really isn’t much more than a Ring Pro doorbell which is what I have. Maybe $80 more but I do like all of the integrations.

Alas, I am in agreement with others though. The walled off garden of Google and Amazon is where everyone is going because of perceived tight integration, low acquisition costs and to be frank ease of use.

My buddy who is an avid technologist is on this train with Google. He refuses to buy a HE or ST. I have even offered to give him my old ST2 and he has gracefully declined. Between Hue and Google he has his “smart” home. He doesn’t see the need to go as extreme as I have gone (full motion lighting even in attic) in my home.

Are you referring to doorbird?

Doorbird personal model is a lot more than a ring pro. I have a ring Pro. It cannot do any of these things.

Doorbird personal supports a contact for trigger for motion. Supports ONVIF. Supports sip audio and video for peer to peer connection and also to a sip pbx. Supports dtmf. Has a relay for electric strike. Supports the ability to add a z-wave or WiFi enabled relay. Superior video quality with barely any delay and great audio quality.

This means you do not require a cloud solution provider in order to use the doorbell. All you need is an Internet connection, static IP or DYndns, Ability to open ports on the firewall and preferably one that can create segregated networks. And if just using locally to answer the door, you don’t even need an Internet connection which I would say falls more in line with that home automation systems that prefer local execution and control.

My Ring Pro cannot do any of these things.

The answer is a better search engine needs to be created.
The answer is a better social network needs to be created.
The answer is a better universal online retailer needs to be created.
The answer is a better doorbell camera system needs to be created.

So what is created first, who’s going to build it, with what money, and how long will it take?

In the meantime, can we work to integrate with the most widely adapted platforms in the best, safest way possible? Maybe make the integrations optional so not all have to use it.

It might have the POSITIVE effect of making more widely used platforms and easily and widely adopted devices/things available on Hubitat, making it easier to attract more customers, creating profit, a strong company, and funding future innovation.

But I may be just spitballing.

1 Like

I'm curious as to how a product that requires a monthly subscription fee to access it's features and is solely dependent on the cloud (Ring) would be "appealing" to those on a platform that requires no monthly fees and it 100% local, or vice versa? Why would the platform invest resources into anything more than what is already available by using the cloud based IFTTT integration?

4 Likes

I guess you're assuming the reason I went with hubitat was because it wasn't cloud based and it doesn't have a monthly fee. It might be your reason, and that's great, but that didn't enter into my decision. I got HE because ST didn't let me develop the integrations I wanted to due to a pretty crappy API. If HE had a monthly subscription and was cloud based I'd have still bought it. I'd love to see a native ring integration.

1 Like

Your saying two separate things there.

1. HE does allow YOU to develop anything you choose to.

2. HE did NOT have a native ring integration, when you bought it nor to my knowledge has stated that it is "on the list" of upcoming features to entice you to HE for this feature....

I would assume why they haven't made such announcement is like I previously pointed out for 2 reasons.

1. The cloud based device wouldn't be a priority of limited development resources for a localized platform.

2. There isn't much more features a "native integration" can offer more than what IFTTT (which is already integrated) already does offer to be using those limited resources for.

I would venture to say just as many people have Roomba robot vacuum cleaners as have Ring doorbells, and the same scenario applies to that and other cloud based devices as well for dedicating the limited resources.

At one time there was a Nest native integration attempt, but now Nest decided to totally change their "partner program" so now that time spent there was wasted would need redone. Reliant on other manufactures and/or cloud seems to be the opposite business model of HE.

Curious does the Grandstream or doorbird work with HE? If so which DH did you use?

I went with the Ring elite due to POE and intergration with echo devices I thought being owned by Amazon they would put alot of money/development into it.
Overall it has been fine with HE but would have preferred a non cloud system.
I never knew about the Grandstream it looks really good and I never found anyone with the Doorbird working with HE.

Can they be integrated? Yes
Have they been integrated? No
Will they be? Probably not. They cost too much (per user comments) which also means they can't/won't pay for the integration which in turn means nobody will spend time integrating them. I prefer to spend time developing integrations for systems I get paid for.

Are you talking about the Unifi Access? If so, that's not a doorbell that homeowners are likely looking for -- it's an access control system with two way intercom/video and everything. I just want something on par with Ring that works with Unifi Protect, I'm not about to install (or need) access control. If you weren't referring to Unifi Access, could you provide more detail? I've searched and have no impression that Ubiquiti is working on something.

Currently nothing outside of the Unifi ecosystem works with Unifi Protect. This has been a long debate and discussion among the Unifi community wanting 3rd party camera's and I don't think it's going to happen as UI makes their money from hardware.