Any ideas for stove/oven turning on a fan?

My house seems to have been built with a flaw.

The kitchen has vaulted ceilings and the smoke detector is located right at the peak, where all the smoke tends to want to go. This causes the smoke detector to go off under normal cooking conditions way too often. The previous owners (or maybe the builder) solved this by putting in an exhaust fan in the adjacent laundry area, which is just a few feet from the stove. All good until you forget to turn the fan on.

I put in a smart switch to control the fan and a temp sensor above the stove. The problem is the temperature changes too slowly, and many times the fan turns on too late.

I need something that will turn that fan on as soon as someone starts cooking. Are there zibgee/zwave smoke sensors? The only things I've found are smoke detectors, not what I need unless the alarm could be disabled. Or are there 240v power sensing switches that could handle an electric range? I haven't found much available in that regard either. Even a smart appliance that could somehow connect to HE would be interesting to consider.
Any thoughts?

Maybe a motion sensor that can set to only detect motion in front of stove. I know that could probably be difficult depending on layout. Maybe with some conditions, motion active for so long, add some time constraints. Maybe combo of temp and motion?

There is a GE power switch that can monitor power and handle 240v.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Appliance-Required-Works-SmartThings-14285/dp/B00YTCZZF0/ref=asc_df_B00YTCZZF0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216539147262&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1058636606073205911&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011241&hvtargid=pla-351536326275&psc=1

Motion sensor would be simplest. For a fun project: thermocouple + amplifier + raspberry pi + HE Maker API :smiley:

I believe that the Aeotec Home Energy Monitor (HEM) would be useable in this type of an application.

1 Like

Just a thought, but smoke detectors aren't really meant for such locations, is it possible to swap it for a heat detector instead? These are meant to go in kitchens.

This thread should be interesting to you:

And from that thread, this is what I did. Relies on contact sensors, very simple, and works perfectly to turn on a warning LED strip so that we don't forget to turn off the stove. You could also do something similar to turn on a fan using the same approach. Depends on having space to locate the contact sensors...

$50 for an Aeon Gen 2 HEM

I have two Gen 1 HEMs for appliance monitoring and one for whole home. Best price and works with any appliance. Put one clamp on one leg of the stove breaker. Then you have another available for another appliance.

There’s code here that worked back in 2018 :man_shrugging:t3:

If you want to be certain, the v1 works, and there are two very useful drivers I can vouch for. I believe the Gen 5 are also working well and have several drivers available in HE.