Any easy way to coordinate two dimmers?

I have two sets of tracklights on opposite walls run by two different (Caseta) dimmers. The one in the back of the room is in a conveniently located wall plate. The one in front is a plug in dimmer with a pico. I want the wall mounted dimmer to control both its own lights (back) and the other dimmer (front). But I also want the pico for the front track to operate independently.
In logic terms, I want:
whenever office.back.brightness changes:
office.front.brightness = office.back.brightness
with no corresponding "whenever office.front.brightness changes" clause.

I tried doing this with Rule machine but the lag between setting the back and the response of the front lights is several seconds. Is there another way to do this that would work better/faster?

1 Like

Will the Mirror app work for that?

1 Like

Wow - how long has THAT been there? I thought it was for mirroring between hubs and never looked at it.

Tried and it works! It certainly qualifies as easy. However, the time lag is about the same as with the Rule Machine solution.

I think I can live with this, since it's only the main in-wall dimmer that will show the lag. I'm using a pico configured to control both dimmers (along with the one that controls just the front) on my side-table, and that works instantly, so the only time I'll deal with the lag is when I walk into the room.

1 Like

I believe the lag you're experiencing may be a result of the fact that the Lutron Dimmer does not send its status update to the HE hub, until it has completed the transition to the new dimmer level.

2 Likes

It seems longer than that - I have the transition time set to "ASAP" so it only takes a fraction of a second to respond to an "up" click, but the increment of the other light is about 2 seconds later. I suspect you're right that it's on the Lutron side, but I can live with the current solution.

1 Like

I would put them on a Pico remote together and use that as your main switch. That will give you a single control. Then in the hub pro setup create two scenes, one for ON and one for OFF. That way you can control both using 'push a button' through Hubitat. Make sure you make the Hub Pro a button device number 1. As an option you can choose one of the switches most likely to be used and use the 'mirror app'. Keep in mind this is only a one way mirror and this will perform with a delay and is far from ideal.

I've limited my use of the Lutron app to pairing my devices and emailing me the interface file. I haven't played with its scenes and other functionality. If I find myself annoyed by the time delay too often, I can always replace the wall dimmer with a plug-in dimmer at the track itself, and install its pico remote on top of the old in-wall dimmer.

1 Like

I think the key for you is that the Pico has to become the primary switch. The Lutron app is pretty simple so do no be afraid to dive in. The Scenes are good for Alexa/Google/Homepod voice commands as well as Hubitat can use them for some of your programming.

Is the pico already bound directly to the switch? If so factory reset the pico, re add it back to lutron app and see if it works better.

The picos work fine. I have one that is paired to both the front and back dimmers, and another paired only to the front. Both cause the lights to respond instantly. The one on both dimmers acts almost as if they're plugged into the same one. I can definitely use the pico method to solve this. I was just hoping for a faster way to coordinate between the actual dimmer devices and the rest of hubitat.

Well I meant I've seen slow response times when the pico's are paired directly to the switch instead of letting hubitat coordinate them. Also on the device page, change the turn on transition time to asap

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.