Another phantom activation

I've seen this a few times now. Previously I've been at home and assumed that a HomePod or phone incorrectly heard 'Hey Siri' and turned things on. Previously when it happened groups of devices turned on that weren't linked in any way and the concern is that it would be impossible to turn those devices on from a single voice command (meaning it's some random bug rather than user error). On to what happened yesterday....

We noticed on the dashboards that a Notification tile was showing 'Garage Door left open!' That notification is driven by a rule and needs the garage door to be open for 10 minutes before it triggers (door is controlled by a Fibaro Roller Shutter 3). The icon for the garage door was also showing open (The door was NOT open thankfully but that was down to a little fail safe I put in place before my last holiday). Checking the events I can see that the door received an open command. This was while no-one was home and neither of us used the Home app while out.

Impossible to confirm whether it's the Homekit integration at fault as the 'produced by' column has not been populated. If I was using Homebridge with maker api that 'produced by' column would show that it was maker api and this would be diagnosable to some extent. I've no idea why the Homekit beta cannot be made to populate that column....

Neither my wife or myself used Hey Siri or the Home app, so the door attempting to open on its own is a concern. I wouldn't be particularly happy if all my lights turned on for no reason while I was on holiday...The only reason the door did not physically open is that I've configured an output on my alarm system that triggers the coil of a 230V rated relay when the system is armed. The motor is a 3 wire (line up, line down, neutral) connection and the common/normally closed contacts of that relay are connected in series with the line up connection. If the alarm is armed the door cannot be raised.

If the door had lifted yesterday, there's a reasonable chance that I'd be missing my '22 BMW S1000R Sport. I'm glad I fitted that relay and can see why garage doors aren't natively supported!

look at the device page at the bottom you will see in use by. Go through the list and work backwards to see where it likely came from,. Another thing is if you use alexa, check if hunches are on. It's the bane of a lot of people's problems like this. Turn the damn thing off.

1 Like

Thanks Rick. I think (but can't be sure) that it can only be an issue with the Homekit integration. This is the in use by list:

Hubitat Z-Wave Mesh Details couldn't cause it. Maker API - HD+ is set for local only and there was no one home. The Hubivue instance isn't used (which has just reminded me to delete it) and the Notification rule just monitors the door and puts a message on the bearmays Notification Device if it's left open for 10 minutes. Importantly, when a device is operated using Maker API, it always populates the 'produced by' column in the device events and the column was empty (whereas Homekit beta does not put an entry in that column). I haven't used Alexa for some time and it was all disabled long ago.

So IMHO it had to be Homekit that caused it. We didn't use the Home app or 'Hey Siri' so it's a concern that it appears to have spuriously received a command. As I mentioned something similar happened a few months ago when numerous lights turned on, curtains opened simultaneously that no command or rule could have possibly generated.