Another hub lockup

My "controller" C5 hub locked up this past weekend - stopped responded but light was green. Had to powercycle manually. I only have HubConnect as a 3rd party app and some minor 3rd party drivers that are not causing issues on my other 2 hubs.

It seems to happen when the internet drops or if the power goes out and returns before the hub can make a connection. I cannot really tell though. I only use the controller for illuminance and mode related updates.

Both of my hubs went down overnight. My home router (AC1900 Netgear) slowly died overnight, I noticed (was being unresponsive around midnight, died by around 0300). After rebooting it, HE's web UI was responsive, but everything else had killed. Didn't have a chance to look at the logs.

Same with our office hub. I'll have to check if our Internet went out there, too, but I wanted to share my similar experience, whether it's correlated or not.

I think there is a strong correlation there. In the last year, I've had one instance where the hub got into a non-responsive state and radios shut down but was hesitant to report it because of the finger pointing that usually follows.
In that instance, I rebooted my router for a firmware update, not considering the impact on device communications. I went to the kitchen for a drink, and quickly realized something was wrong. Out of curiosity, I didn't reboot the hub, but let it churn and about 45 minutes later was able to get the past logs. Comparing those with the router logs, it became apparent that when certain TTS apps, weather drivers, and lan controlled switches all try to communicate at once, and can't, there is a problem. (about 200 errors in the two seconds before zigbee shut down)
I wish I were more knowledgeable about these things. Is there some function in computing that says "Somethings not right. Stop that process and move along, please"? Would something like that reside in application code or in firmware?
Forgive my ramblings and semi-rhetorical questions. Just thought I'd add my $.02.

2 Likes

I'm going to attempt to recreate this in a lab environment, one device/app at a time, and see what's going on. Hopefully I can alleviate the finger-pointing and get some solid data... I'm hesitant to publicly report things like this for the same reasons.

5 Likes

My only custom apps are echo speaks, nest manager, advanced button controller, tp link app, and noah weather alerts. I had 11 echo dots connected through echo speaks and my hub went unresponsive every other morning like clockwork. I cut back to 6 echos and now can go 3 days between reboots, and I can actually reboot properly now, whereas with 11 echos connected I had to pull the power to reboot the hub. So I would agree that itโ€™s likely related to network devices somehow. When I was on SmartThings, WebCoRE would stop working when I had all of the echo devices connected. I know thatโ€™s what caused the problem because when I unchecked all of the echos, it immediately worked fine, reenabled them and immediate problems.

I just removed the APIXU weather driver. I also have a (very) simple custom email notification driver I wrote that only does an async call - I cannot imagine how that could impact things especially since it's supposed to be non-blocking. Also I have it installed on my other hubs (both C4s) with no issues that I've noticed.

Other than that I have HubConnect running. It's probably not the most recent but not that old either.

A bit of info that might be useful for people experiencing lockups that can't be explained by Chromecast TTS or APIXU, or other community apps.

I have a C4 hub that had been locking up on almost a daily basis (red light, solid lock). I was puzzled, and followed along with this thread to see if any of the suggestions made sense with my configuration.

My hub was mounted in the same upstairs closet as my Media Server, a network switch, a pi or 2, a Hue Hub, and a Zwave Toolbox. The Hubitat, Hue and the Toolbox were all mounted vertically on the wall, spaced reasonably, but probably at least 6-12" apart.

The closet gets warm, and although I've never measured it, it's probably in excess of 85F.

Though this doesn't seem terribly hot, the Hubitat is passively cooled, and it seems that while the Hue Hub, Zwave Toolbox and Media Server were all content (or rather I have seen no ill effects), the Hubitat simply didn't like it.

On a whim, I moved it out of the closet and onto a table about 6' from where it was. Ambient is now in the low-mid 70s, and there is air movement due to a ceiling fan whenver the temp is above 72. This seems to have effectively eliminated my hub shutdowns. It's been up constantly for more than a week, with nary a glitch.

Perhaps not helpful in all cases, but it appears that the Hubitat C4 might be slightly temperature sensitive, and if you install it in an enclosed space with other forms of heat, it could result in lockups (and is probably not good for the lifespan of the Hub!).

It probably comes as no surprise that I'm reconsidering the location of the primary heat source (the MediaServer!).

For now, the Hubitat is staying out in the open!

S.

5 Likes

My C5 HE is mounted sideways behind (i.e. outside) the media cabinet that it initially was in. I used tiny command strips for the mounting. Still gets warm, but not as hot as it used to.

1 Like

Got mine wall mounted using command strips.
Iโ€™ve never had a lock up.

1 Like

Makes perfect sense. All of my hubs and server equipment is located in my basement where itโ€™s naturally cooled. Never have to worry about overheating down there.

1 Like

Yeah, in hindsight I should have put it elsewhere, but the WAF was in play, and neatness counts! As in, hidden is neat. :wink:

2 Likes

I've got a new location with power and a Cat-6 jack where command strips will work well, I'll probably move it there soon!

S.

1 Like

I wanted to report back and say both my C4's are mounted sideways (one on a beam in the basement, the other on a closet wall) - have not had any lockups recently with those. My lockup prone C5 is sitting on my Sonos Connect - which has a smooth flat plastic surface on top - reflects heat nicely I suspect. As a test I flipped the C5 upside down so the bottom vent holes are exposed. Have not had any issues since (fingers crossed).

Be interesting to see if that makes a difference!

I'd like to keep my hub on the middle or upper floor of my house, as that avoids a lot of ducting in the basement and attic, so I get the best signal throughout, so I'm considering moving mine near an ethernet jack and using a POE adapter to power it.

It's definitely not going back in that closet though. I haven't had a single lockup since moving it out of the closet, despite adding devices, screwing with Rule 4.0, and various other activities.

I probably took 2 years off it's life though...lol

S.

2 Likes

Yeah will keep an eye out and report back. I have a hub for each floor - the beam hub in the basement was originally relocated for my Yale lock issues and serves as my main floor/basement hub. The closet one is on my 2nd floor and handles devices there. The C5 is in my office on the first floor and is used as a master controller/app/internet "facing" hub. Moving to a multi-hub environment has helped out with device/hub weirdness but maybe not as much with full on crashes.

Oooh. No. It finally died again. With nothing more than 3 Hue Hubs worth of lights still attached to it. Finally powering it down, anyway.

-- Jules

Just curious. Is the hub in a spot where it may have gotten hot? I know some had reported keeping it cool solved the issue.

In my case heat seems to have been the issue {fingers crossed} - I have not experienced any lockups on my C5 "controller" hub since flipping it over so the bottom vents are "up".

I will also mention that a custom telnet email driver I wrote was also causing some weirdness with my other hubs. Have since removed that as well.

1 Like

Same here. Since I moved out of the closet of Overheated devices, it has been rock solid. No crashes, apparent slowdowns or issuess.

S.

1 Like

I had seemingly fixed my issues until overnight last night. I woke up and it was way too cold in the house based on rules set so I grabbed my phone and sure enough, locked up. Can't even get to :8081 which is sad because I was hoping to be able to "reboot" from that menu.

I think I had gone a solid 2 months without an issue until last night.