Another current Wink user, looking to move

Hello all,

Like many, I am a current Wink user that needs to move from the platform for all of the same reasons. I am confident that I can make the switch, but I have the following question. Through using the Hubitat app, am I able to monitor my home remotely, as well as control things in my home remotely?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

The Hubitat app allows you access your dashboards to control and monitor your devices remotely. It does require you to set the dashboard up but that also means you only have to display the devices you want and can have it appear the way you want. It is very easy to set up a simple dashboard to get yourself going and then you can tinker/tweak until it's perfect.

Since the dashboards are resident on your hub, the app just provides a vehicle for accessing them quickly. They can also be accessed from any browser so you are not restricted to the app.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the very fast and informative response. Looks like I will buying a Hubitat hub tonight.

Again, much appreciated.

2 Likes

My pleasure. Enjoy and welcome to the community!!! :smiley:

2 Likes

@eric8 - just to clarify a bit further, you can "monitor" your home and turn things off and on, dim and bright, etc. Lock and unlock, receive notifications, but you can NOT create new rules or set lock codes remotely. I was never on wink, but recently (just today) had a conversation with a coworker that uses wink for their B&B and she was very specific about being able to have that functionality. Now, with everything, there is a workaround to get to these functions if you are tech savvy, and you can get help with that here, but I just wanted you to know that it's not available right out of the box. What is available right out of the box is absolutely amazing. That would include the community as well. It's like none other. Welcome to Hubitat.

3 Likes

@eric8
True. One of the simpler, yet secure, ways to get around this is to leave Raspberry Pi (RPi) or equivalent on your home network and then use either VNC or OpenVPN to remote in ....

My hubitat arrives later today. I am also a Wink refugee (original wink hub). Hoping for a smooth transition. One item of concern, I use a cell modem for internet, which means I am behind an unavoidable double NAT situation. How will this affect control of the Hubitat remotely? It was never a problem with Wink since the interaction with the app and the hub was handled though the cloud.

Welcome to the Hubitat community. You shouldn't have any trouble with double NAT. The Hubitat hub connects to a Hubitat cloud for remote communication.

2 Likes

@Bohemus Welcome to Hubitat! Hope your migration is smooth. My response is that double NATs suck. I had one because I used a vpn router and google wifi back when I HAD to have my vpn. Double NAT didn't affect my dashboard connections to Hubitat. So migrate slowly start close and work outward. Good luck! See you on the other side!

3 Likes

Hi Eric, welcome. This is a switch you'll not regret, and actually might wind up being thankful for wink going away. You'll have control and automations light years beyond wink.

Ryan is correct, the dashboard is key to remote control. Although for monitoring you can setup rules which will send push notifications to your cell, so you don't need to keep pulling out your phone to check. I have push notification for smoke, flood, carbon monoxide, windows left open, & doors left open.
Basically anything you want. How about being notified if the temp is below 65 degrees, with a window open and the heat is on, and illumination is below 30%, and there's motion in the basement. Silly but that gives you an idea of the power & versatility of the hub.

You'll find community members here very helpful and ready to jump in.

2 Likes

Thanks for your response. Moved everything over from Wink last night and it couldnt have been easier. The whole process with quick and intuitive. Love how fast the local control makes everything. The included Simple Lighting app covered everything I needed to get the same functionality that I had with Wink and it took far less time to get it set the way I wanted than it did with Wink. Very happy overall. Now to learn more about what I can do with Hubitat and the existing devices I have.

2 Likes

Having moved from Wink about 7-8 months ago, it was a mental rush realizing how much more you can do with Hubitat.

Here's one of my favorites. Using a user integrated app/driver for Roku TVs, I can automatically dim my bedroom and living room lights when the TV comes on, and then automatically restore the lights to their previous setting when the TV is turned off.

2 Likes

Ok, well, don't forget to check in from time to time. .. .and so it begins.

3 Likes

I do a lot of that stuff with Harmony remotes. Never thought to do it with Roku.

1 Like

That's a great idea. I have some FireTV sticks and Chromecasts. Is there anything out there to get similar functionality for these devices?

I don't know about FireTV sticks, but you might be able to do it with the ChromeCast integration.