Android - Geofence not working

What I notice is that if the app is open and the phone (Samsung S10) screen is on, it works flawlessly, I get a notification of leaving the geofence within seconds of actually doing so according to the blue dot on the map. If I switch the screen off so the apps running in the background, its very slow, taking upwards of 15 mins of walking before it notifies me I have left the boundary and by then I am a long way from it.

It appears that Samsung are switching something off despite me telling the app to stay active and all battery saving setting on the phone are switched off or the app is just not working properly when running in the background. Hard to know which but Samsung have a habit of quietly switching things off without asking which, is annoying.

I find the current geofencing solution for Hubitat unreliable, I certainly cannot use it as it is now.

This could be an interesting development. Maybe an end to one of the primary obstacles to presence sensing in most apps that use background processing for location services?

https://www.androidpolice.com/google-samsung-partner-fix-android-biggest-annoyances/

2 Likes

New Hubitat user. Appears geofence is not working on my phone. I drive a mile or so away from home and I see my blue dot outside the geofence area. I look at my phone device and it still says "Present".

• Mobile device: Google Pixel 5a
  • Android Version: 13
  • Kernel version: 4.19.261
  • Security patch level: May 5, 2023
  • Mobile app version: 1.6.12 Build 136
    Notes:
    No 3rd party optimization apps
    Battery and CPU/memory optimization services are disabled for Hubitat app.

Geofence just stopped working today for my wife and myself also. Nothing else has changed in the habitat app It shows we are inside the geofence yet our devices are showing away.

Rebooted sent Geo event nothing changes

Same on iOS. I use Webcore and it's been rock solid for many months until today. It shows I'm inside the geofence but presence stays not present.

UPDATE: I turned off the "Send presence only while in motion" and now the geofence seems to be working. I set up a rule just to let me know when I leave or arrive home and it's been working so far, although not necessarily real-time.

Mine is already off. But I hit show debugging info, and there are a few errors where it cannot reach service.cloud.hubitat.com. Hoping this is just a temporary server side deal.

[edit]
whatever my issue was, rebooting my hub fixed it.