Amazon switching on Sidewalk setting in Alexa app

2 Likes

They did send out a notification (data point of one). I also think it should be opt in, though.

2 Likes

Yeah I knew it was coming as well. Honestly I do not feel too strongly about, just figured there would be some who would like to know.

3 Likes

I completely agree with that too. Opt in should always be the default.

1 Like

Apart from the fact that opt-in is not the default, there are several reports that even when it is turned off, the Sidewalk setting gets turned on again:

1 Like

I don’t recall turning it on but after reading this post checked and it was turned on in my account :rage:. Now this said I did install a new ring floodlight camera recently so I may have said yes to something without realizing that enabled it.

@cwwilson08 thank you for posting this!

2 Likes

Mine was off as of a couple days ago, but on today.

Things like this should be opt-in not opt-out.

2 Likes

This is one thing I am not disappointed that being in the UK means it will be months before I see it, if ever at all!

1 Like

The PR has not been great, it doesn't share WiFi out, it makes a 900Mhz signal (HaLow?) or low-energy Bluetooth to other amazon devices so they stay online max speed seems to be 150Kbps

more infor here Amazon Sidewalk will create entire smart neighborhoods. Here's what you should know - CNET

I verified this was off the day the email came out about it and today after reading this I checked and it was on. Very annoying that they wouldn't have do the opt-in before they sent out the email if at all.

Amazon is extremely arrogant on this (as are most, if not all, large technology companies). They are by default sharing out some of the bandwidth I pay for to benefit themselves, and then have the audacity to say they aren't going to charge me for the privilege of doing it.

3 Likes