Am I expecting too much from a single HE Hub?

In case you haven't seen this.

If you are still having problems after trying other suggestions. Try change your channel. I'm currently running on 23 with no issues. The devices use to give me issues when running on higher channels.

But only change one thing at a time when testing so you can narrow it down to what you did exactly.

1 Like

Because I have such a mixed network (AlertMe / Iris V1, Salus, Tradfri and Xiaomi) my plan has morphed into finding which devices are happy with one another and which are problematic, then isolating the (hopefully single) type causing the issues onto their own HE mesh, then using Hub Link to connect the two hubs back into a 'single' system.

On their own with Tradfri repeaters (and seemingly with AlertMe SPG100 as well) the Xiaomi QBKG03LM and QBKG04LM wired switches proved themselves to be super reliable on the mesh for me. It's just other devices, including other Xiaomi devices, that they seem to cause trouble for; bumping them off at any given opportunity. First the AlertMe motion sensors would drop, then it would be a Xiaomi wireless switch needing a few presses to respond - ultimately I'd be left with the wired switches and not a lot else.

I was chasing my tail trying to work out the cause until @markus suggested removing them.

2 Likes

So am I right in thinking that you have now removed the powered switches, leaving you with a stable mesh for all your battery powered Xiaomi devices, connected to a single HE Hub?

Ok, I have left this overnight and I would say that 10% of the Xiaomi devices have remained connected, showing 'present' as per @markus driver. This is also after having deleted the powered switch devices from my hub. Really frustrating. I'm going to start reducing the zigbee channel by 1 every day and see if I have any improvements in maintaining a connection. Is it recommended to also turn the hub off for more than 30mins to force the devices to reconnect once re-paired?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Mi Home hub uses either channels 15, 20 and 25. Unfortunately it doesn't show in the hub settings which channel is being used.
Maybe try channel 20, this is the channel I use, and see if this improves your experience.

1 Like

Thanks @bobbles. I'll give that a try.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been re-jigging my mesh based more realistically around the kit I already own, which is mostly AlertMe gear. But yes, even before this revamp, that's pretty much where I was at.

My mesh is now:

2x AlertMe Buttons
1x AlertMe Keyfob
1x AlertMe Lamp
8x AlertMe SPG100 Smart Plugs
1x Ikea Trådfri 400lm E16 Lightbulb
1x Xiaomi GZCGQ01LM Light Sensor
2x Xiaomi WXKG03LM Wireless Switches

Those '3LM wireless switches would drop from the mesh within 90 minutes - until I added the Trådfri lamp to the mesh. Now, though none of the Xiaomi devices have ever routed through it, they stay connected and have done for a couple of days. Remove the Trådfri lamp and they drop within 90 minutes again. Weird.

For whatever reason the GZCGQ01LM light sensor has never dropped from the mesh, even before the Trådfri lamp was added. That thing has been perfect, which gives hope for the future seeing as it's one of their new Zigbee 3.0 devices.

Because I can find no better alternative for UK light switches my plan is to acquire another hub which will run only those devices with Trådfri repeaters, which I have plenty of now that I have a working mesh that doesn't use them. :joy:

Actually, I'll probably throw one on this mesh regardless, just in case the lamps (there are more to be added) are ever powered off accidentally. Because all AlertMe repeaters have battery backup (it was designed as a security system) it's sensible my link to the Trådfri world be battery-backed as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.